take a deal on a velodyne DD10 or...

T

Tmart

Audiophyte
I know this covers some of the often trod 2 subs or 1have larger sub, but wanted to get ur thoughts. I can get a velodyne DD10 for $850 (open box, NL warranty) to pair with my DT 10" supercube 1.
Is it a disaster to mix those subs? I assume i would need to preamp for added power?
Should i try for 1 larger sub knowing i can never really fill that space?
80% HT, 20% 2 channel music
here are the particulars:
Rec room is really big! 40'x20'x8' ceiling. Listening area at one end is is15' wide with seating 10' back.
amp: Onkyo TX-NR1009
fronts: Klipsch RF83's,RC 64 center (i know, i know. Horn tweet-whole other thread!
surround: klipsch RS42
surround back: klipsch CDT 3650(in ceiling)
Front height: monoprice msq 8425(just added to see if i like 9spkr setup) inwall
tv & BD are samsung LN52B750, BD P3600 for what its worth.
thanks!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The DD10 is meant for a small room; you have a very large room. If $850 is what you have to spend, I'd go for something much larger, like a HSU VTF-15H, and then save for a second one.

T

Tmart

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice. How about power needs with 2 subs & current amp?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The RF83s are so efficient that amp power is practically immaterial. The Onkyo probably works just fine.

The Hsu sub is self-powered, but I'm guessing you really need two of them for that room.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The RF83s are so efficient that amp power is practically immaterial. The Onkyo probably works just fine.
I would note that while the RF-83s have a high measured sensitivity, they do dip below 3 ohms in impedance (in spite of the 8 ohm nominal rating) per S&V, as does the RC-64 center.

Test Bench: Klipsch RF-83 Home Theater Speaker System | Sound and Vision Magazine

While the Onkyo isn't a pansy receiver, that could lead to trouble a lot sooner than you might expect if you assumed the Klipsch speakers were just a benign 8 ohm load. Unfortunately, I know of no full impedance plot for the RF-83 to give a better answer.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The DD10 is meant for a small room; you have a very large room. If $850 is what you have to spend, I'd go for something much larger, like a HSU VTF-15H, and then save for a second one.
Fully agree here. A big room means you can kiss things like room gain goodbye, which is going to make the job of any subwoofer much more difficult. In the $850 ballpark, the Hsu looks like a pretty good choice. Another possibility I'd toss out which is costlier, but considerably more powerful, is the Rythmik FV15HP with the 550 watt amplifier for $1174 plus shipping.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I would note that while the RF-83s have a high measured sensitivity, they do dip below 3 ohms in impedance (in spite of the 8 ohm nominal rating) per S&V, as does the RC-64 center.
Yeah, I know, but with 100db/2.83v efficiency, even if the Onkyo can only muster 20W into whatever impedance, there's going to be a lot of sound coming out of those speakers.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
My buddy bought the HSU VTF- 15H at RMAF a couple of weeks ago. We brought it back to his enormous room ( 12000 cubes) and were shocked at how good it sounded. Everything I had read to that point led me to think that he would need at least 2 and he might to properly pressurize that space, but my point is that it sounded great as is. Start with one and see what you think.
Cheers, Mac

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Start with one and see what you think.
That's actually good advice, and was my strategy when buying a sub. I thought I'd need two, but ordered one just to see how things sounded. I never ordered the second, but my room isn't 40x20.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Yeah, I know, but with 100db/2.83v efficiency, even if the Onkyo can only muster 20W into whatever impedance, there's going to be a lot of sound coming out of those speakers.
Certainly you won't mistake them for little cube speakers.

Still, if you assume a 4 ohm nominal load instead of 8 ohm nominal (not altogether undeserved given the actual minimum impedance), you're dropping sensitivity per watt by 3dB; so when you go to an SPL calculator such as http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html , instead of 100dB, you pop in 97dB. With 20 watts into 4 ohms at 10 feet, suddenly you're looking at 100dB instead of say, 107dB if you assumed 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms with 100dB sensitivity w/ 1 watt.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Certainly you won't mistake them for little cube speakers.

Still, if you assume a 4 ohm nominal load instead of 8 ohm nominal (not altogether undeserved given the actual minimum impedance), you're dropping sensitivity per watt by 3dB; so when you go to an SPL calculator such as Peak SPL Calculator , instead of 100dB, you pop in 97dB. With 20 watts into 4 ohms at 10 feet, suddenly you're looking at 100dB instead of say, 107dB if you assumed 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms with 100dB sensitivity w/ 1 watt.
Alright, I give up. Uncle! :)

T

Tmart

Audiophyte
This is great stuff.
Steve, thanks for the link to S&V. I read up on the impedance issue a bit, but still not sure what that should mean in practical terms for me. Other than possibly noting some dips in sens. at certain frequencies, do I need to nurse these RF's a bit if I'm listening for long periods or high output? Is the take-home - more power is never a bad idea?
MacDD & Irv: Thanks for the recommendations. I think I will try the Hsu first and see how it sounds solo. Use the current DT sub on another system or sell to offset costs i suppose?
Thanks all!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes without knowing where in the response curve it dips and what phase angle is at that dip, its difficult to assess.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Steve, thanks for the link to S&V. I read up on the impedance issue a bit, but still not sure what that should mean in practical terms for me. Other than possibly noting some dips in sens. at certain frequencies, do I need to nurse these RF's a bit if I'm listening for long periods or high output?
Glad to be of use! There's no special need to nurse the RFs more than any other speaker: if you hear signs of distortion or strain, turn the volume down until those signs disappear. Even with their relatively low impedance, I'd expect it not to be a major issue until you're pushing fairly high volumes.

Is the take-home - more power is never a bad idea?
Not exactly. You want an amplifier that is competent at driving low impedance loads; in simple terms, it needs to be able to deliver good amounts of current. As an example: 50W into 8 ohms equates to 20 volts and 2.5 amperes of current. 50W into a 2 ohm load on the other hand equates to 10 volts and 5 amperes of current. This is no insignificant difference (more current = more heat), especially when coupled with how impedance and voltage sensitivity are related.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis