R

rext81

Enthusiast
I did a google image search and could not find any pic of the ls50 with grilles.

I think RandyB bought a pair. I got the impression he preferred the ls50 over most monitors, including the Andrew Jones Pioneer S-4EX speakers. Could be wrong, though.

But we all have our preferences. :D

I don't know why, but the majority of these Pro monitors just don't have grilles - ADAM, JBL, Focal, Dynaudio, KEF, Yamaha, Mackie, etc.
The LS50s don't have grills. I asked one of the KEF guys at RMAF.

I read the KEF thread at AVS. Lots of good things to say about the LS50s.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
what is this "empty space" I spy?

ANyways those TADs look really good. I bet they make really good bedroom speakers with a nice crossfire.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
AH should make a Poll

"What should ADTG Buy Next"

with 10 options. :eek: :D

I vote for the Vapor Sound Arcus :D :cool:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
AH should make a Poll

I vote for the Vapor Sound Arcus :D :cool:
Heck yeah!

If he's gonna keep buying speakers, he should buy what we want him to!:D:D

...Isn't that right, Grant!;):p

PS - When you say with 10 options, you mean 10 winning choices for him to buy, right?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AH should make a Poll

I'll give you a hint - it won't be any of the brands I already own (speakers & subs). :D

The price needs to be no more than $3K. :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I dunno about the vapor lead times. But the Pleated Diaphragm Planar TPL-150 is pretty much the last class of tweeter that's still not on ADTG collection.

I'll give you a hint - it won't be any of the brands I already own (speakers & subs). :D
Well I can't think of anything that fits that criteria.

:D

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
It's interesting KEF labeled the LS50 in their "Flagship Hi-Fi" line, above even the $20,000 KEF 207/2 speakers. :D
That's because it uses the second most sophisticated UniQ. It's UniQ is second only to the Blade itself.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I like to think I'm an audio purist, but there are limits, and you found one!
FYI, I did have the grille of the 900 off and did not get the same distraction that I got from the LS50. I think the reasons are

1) the color coordination/combination of the LS exaggerates the relative movement between the static (as DS-21 pointed out) phase plug and the reciprocating mid bass driver cone.

2) the LS mid/bass drive has to do much work covering the lower frequencies, the 900's mid range driver hardly moved and any minute excursion was not quite visible from a few feet away, even when I was listening at reasonably high SPL, (averaging 0.5W:D, peaking to 1 to 2 W) when listening to Adele's powerful and dynamic voice. Seriously the LS's mid/bass driven shows much more excursion than the 900 playing at similar SPL.

Probably just me, I can't stand that thing moving/flashing at me all the time. If I were to buy one I would have to custom design/build a grille for it.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's because it uses the second most sophisticated UniQ. It's UniQ is second only to the Blade itself.
Impressive.

Interesting how the Muon, Blade, and Reference are made in England, yet the LS50 is made in China.

I figured the flagship speakers get to be made in England. :D

So the LS is about 5 times cheaper than the $6,000 201/2, is made in China, yet it has a better UniQ than even the $20,000 207/2. :D

Will the LS50 measure better than the 201/2 and 207/2 and sound better too? :D

What kind of message is that sending?:eek:

What is the KEF world coming to? :eek:

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Impressive.

Interesting how the Muon, Blade, and Reference are made in England, yet the LS50 is made in China.

I figured the flagship speakers get to be made in England. :D

So the LS is about 5 times cheaper than the $6,000 201/2, is made in China, yet it has a better UniQ than even the $20,000 207/2. :D

Will the LS50 measure better than the 201/2 and 207/2 and sound better too? :D

What kind of message is that sending?:eek:

What is the KEF world coming to? :eek:
I read about them afer I listened to them a couple of times. Subjectively, I found the R series smoother in the highs. Seriously the first time I auditioned them when I was there to place the order on the R, I stood there and started doing the math on the cost of them + 2 JL Audio vs the R900 as I could still do a last minute switch. I prefer their look much more but in the end I fought off their sexy look and went the other way. So IMO their pluses due to better looking golden orange color without the grille, failed to offset my impression of not sounding as good, and the tangerine phase plug/waveguide thing along with the dual color mid bass cone's flashy thing when the cone is reciprocating hard made up my mind, for now I mean. I think they are going to sell a lot of them though, good engineering well supported by great marketing techniques. Anyway, my guess is that our ref mini R2D2 will still be superior in most ways, even with bass out of the equation.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Happy Halloween

Here is a Happy Halloween picture of my 9YO daughter and the TAD 2201 sitting on top of two 4" foam pads (awaiting the 12" black wood stands).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I read about them afer I listened to them a couple of times. Subjectively, I found the R series smoother in the highs. Seriously the first time I auditioned them when I was there to place the order on the R, I stood there and started doing the math on the cost of them + 2 JL Audio vs the R900 as I could still do a last minute switch. I prefer their look much more but in the end I fought off their sexy look and went the other way. So IMO their pluses due to better looking golden orange color without the grille, failed to offset my impression of not sounding as good, and the tangerine phase plug/waveguide thing along with the dual color mid bass cone's flashy thing when the cone is reciprocating hard made up my mind, for now I mean. I think they are going to sell a lot of them though, good engineering well supported by great marketing techniques. Anyway, my guess is that our ref mini R2D2 will still be superior in most ways, even with bass out of the equation.
I believe the LS50 is a great speaker. But I have a hard time believing it is a flagship speaker above the R900 and Reference 201/2. Your impression confirmed this. :D But others may believe otherwise. Which is fine too. :D

Just like as great as I think the TSM-2201 is, I don't believe it is better than the Pioneer EX speakers just because the 2201 is labeled a "TAD" above the "Pioneer". :D

The drivers (and market label) alone do not make a speaker better. ;)

But I believe both the LS50 and TAD 2201 are great sounding speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So after enjoying the heck out of Sarah Jaros and Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone and other albums mentioned, I am now (again) enjoying the heck out of Inception soundtrack. :D

Very dynamic and ultra clear sound.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
So after enjoying the heck out of Sarah Jaros and Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone and other albums mentioned, I am now (again) enjoying the heck out of Inception soundtrack. :D

Very dynamic and ultra clear sound.
Sarah Jarosz? She's pretty f*uckin cute. I want to hear more than just her music. :p ;)

I really liker her stuff. Unfortunately, most of it is compressed and clipped. :(

I'll have to check out that inception soundtrack...

UPDATE

Most of the Inception tracks are excellent. Not a lot of dynamic range, but it isn't exactly classical. It's supposed to be LOUD. 2 tracks clip but the rest aren't even close. With most music, I wouldn't be very happy with the DR, but these are different. Once my sub has a box, these tracks will play over and over. :D :D

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
If you want two really great, VERY dynamic albums check out:

Tracy Chapman's: Tracy Chapman

AND

Ennio Morricone - The Mission OST

They are both CONSISTENTLY dynamic and none of the tracks are clipped.

Anyone who want's either album is more than welcome to ask me. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you want two really great, VERY dynamic albums check out:

Tracy Chapman's: Tracy Chapman

AND

Ennio Morricone - The Mission OST

They are both CONSISTENTLY dynamic and none of the tracks are clipped.

Anyone who want's either album is more than welcome to ask me. :)
Both are now in my server. :D

What is "clipped"? Are the Yo-Yo Ma tracks clipped?

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Both are now in my server. :D
Torrent-er!! :shifty eyes, shifty eyes:

What is "clipped"? Are the Yo-Yo Ma tracks clipped?
First of all, here is a video about DR (which I'm sure you understand):

The Loudness War - YouTube

As for clipping:

Loudness war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

search the page for "clip".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

Look for "Digital Clipping"

It's pretty much the same thing as amp clipping, except this is done by the sound engineer. They compress the track and then make it soooo loud the waveform clips.

Yes it does. Except for a few tracks. 15, 19, & 20 have good DR and do not clip. :D

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

Look at the top. There is a link to a DR scanner. Also you can download FooBar, get the plugin, and test FLAC.

http://www.justiceforaudio.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

http://www.dynamicrange.de/

Alot of these are good:

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis