AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just got my brand new black TAD speakers. I'm still waiting for a pair of black wood speaker stands for them. For now, they are sitting on some foam pads on top of the black RBH SX-1010N subs, which apparently does not affect the sound quality at all. :D

The built quality seems fantastic and solid. Each TAD comes with a pair of high quality 5-way binding post. I used the CTG Velocity 12g wires w/ bananas from Amazon. All the speakers in my HT room have these cables. :D

According to TAD, these speakers have a sensitivity of 86dB/w/m. But after channel level matching, they match the volume of the B&W 802D2, which has a sensitivity of 90dB (measured by HTM last month). I was surprised because I thought they would match the KEF 201/2, but the TAD are A LOT louder by ~ 6.0dB (Galaxy digital SPL)!

I've been listening all morning from a variety of music - Sarah Joros, Adele live, Anne-Sophie Mutter/ Beethoven, Yo-Yo Ma/ Ennio Moricone, Dave Mathews/ Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Hall, Inception and Dark Knight Rises soundtracks, and the Phil3 Demo CD. :D

The sound is extremely, exceptionally, amazingly crystal clear, detailed, accurate, and smooth, not fatiguing or harsh at all after several hours now. I'm listening to about 90dBC Average, 100dBC Max. Imaging and Soundstage seem incredibly precise and wide.

The funny thing is, even at the relatively high volume, it doesn't seem loud at all. It feels very comfortable, even after several hours. I better turn down the volume. :D

I don't know if Andrew Jones had anything to do with these TAD speakers other than giving his blessings. :D But I am very, very impressed with these little TAD speakers. They can hang with the best of them IMO regardless of price. I heard they were originally retailed at $3200/pr, but are now $1900/pr. I do not think they are overpriced at all for this kind of sound quality and technology from TAD. Six of these TAD plus dual Funk-18 subs would make a killer 6.2 sound system. :D

I might post some better pictures after I get my new speaker stands. :D

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
2 more punches on your speaker card and you'll get a free pair! :D

EDIT: On that first picture, is it just me, or does that woofer look like it has a big dent on the bottom?

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

You aren't the only one thinking that about the woofer but it is a design feature.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
You aren't the only one thinking that about the woofer but it is a design feature.
Yeah, I see that now after a google image search:

Very tricky... :confused: :eek:

ADTG, I blame your photo shooting skills. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Can you make some comments on the sound of the TAD vs some of your other speakers?
Which one(s) is it closest to? Any attibutes that stand out? How does the top end compare to the Rall in the Phil3?

R

rext81

Enthusiast
Trying to decide between these and the Kef LS50s for a nearfield setup. I've heard (and enjoy) the LS50s but haven't heard the TADs. Any comment on a comparison with your 201/2s?

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the info, that's an interesting speaker. The shape vaguely reminds me of the old Spica angelus. The marketing blurb indicates it's designed for near field use. How have you been using them?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can you make some comments on the sound of the TAD vs some of your other speakers?
Which one(s) is it closest to? Any attibutes that stand out? How does the top end compare to the Rall in the Phil3?
I need more time comparing. :D

I did some comparison (TAD vs KEF vs B&W vs Revel) using one classical piece from Yo-Yo Ma/ Ennio Morricone. It's not as easy as comparing Bose to Salon2. :D

I think it will take some time. It think the better the speakers, the more time it will take to critically compare, especially when you take the bass out of the equation with dual Funk-18 subs. :D

On paper the least accurate speakers among the 4 are the 802D2, but even they are +/-2.8dB from 200Hz-10kHz, which isn't the worst in the world. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Trying to decide between these and the Kef LS50s for a nearfield setup. I've heard (and enjoy) the LS50s but haven't heard the TADs. Any comment on a comparison with your 201/2s?
I've been comparing the KEF vs TAD for about an hour. The song is "Ecstasy of Gold" from Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone. Both speakers are so revealing and detailed I can hear Yo-Yo Ma breathing as he glides his fingers along his cello and plucks the strings.

Really, if it were a DBT, I just don't see how anyone could pick a winner if the bass were taken out of the equation.

Both the TAD and KEF were designed for ultra accuracy. And they do just that precisely.

The only obvious difference is that the TAD 2201 is 6dB louder than the KEF 201/2, although both are specified as 86dB/w/m sensitivity. The TAD are also louder than the Salon2, Orion3, Phil3, ATC SCM7, and Dynaudio X32.

It's interesting KEF labeled the LS50 in their "Flagship Hi-Fi" line, above even the $20,000 KEF 207/2 speakers. :D

I think both the TAD and KEF are excellent accurate studio monitors.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. The choice was simple for me since I already have the LOWER END KEF 201/2. :D

The finish on the LS50 (piano black) is prettier than the TAD 2201 (matte black). :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
marketing blurb indicates it's designed for near field use. How have you been using them?
Exactly like I use the KEF, Revel, B&W, etc. I listen from about 13-14 ft distance in Stereo 2.1 mode.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It's interesting KEF labeled the LS50 in their "Flagship Hi-Fi" line, above even the $20,000 KEF 207/2 speakers. :D
I found that very interesting too so I spent quite a bit of time listening to the LS50, as even with the sub I have in mind the total cost will still be comparable to the R900. In the end I concluded that I like how they sound but I thought I could pick the R500 as the winner in a DBT so I decided to pass. I do admit, they are such great looking mini speakers that it was hard for me to say pass. I should also mention one negative about the mini, if you listen with the grilles off, you could see the tangerine thing moving around and I couldn't stand that at all.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I should also mention one negative about the mini, if you listen with the grilles off, you could see the tangerine thing moving around and I couldn't stand that at all.
I like to think I'm an audio purist, but there are limits, and you found one!

R

rext81

Enthusiast
I've been comparing the KEF vs TAD for about an hour. The song is "Ecstasy of Gold" from Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone. Both speakers are so revealing and detailed I can hear Yo-Yo Ma breathing as he glides his fingers along his cello and plucks the strings.

Really, if it were a DBT, I just don't see how anyone could pick a winner if the bass were taken out of the equation.

Both the TAD and KEF were designed for ultra accuracy. And they do just that precisely.

The only obvious difference is that the TAD 2201 is 6dB louder than the KEF 201/2, although both are specified as 86dB/w/m sensitivity. The TAD are also louder than the Salon2, Orion3, Phil3, ATC SCM7, and Dynaudio X32.

I think both the TAD and KEF are excellent accurate studio monitors.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. The choice was simple for me since I already have the LOWER END KEF 201/2. :D

The finish on the LS50 (piano black) is prettier than the TAD 2201 (matte black). :D
Thanks for the comparison. The KEF does look nicer, but the TAD has grills that would keep curious little hands and paws out. Usually now I would employ really nitpicky things to decide, like which one is not made in China, but I think both are. Oh well.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
I should also mention one negative about the mini, if you listen with the grilles off, you could see the tangerine thing moving around and I couldn't stand that at all.
The phase plug doesn't move. It can't. And the LS50 doesn't have grilles, to my knowledge at least.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the comparison. The KEF does look nicer, but the TAD has grills that would keep curious little hands and paws out. Usually now I would employ really nitpicky things to decide, like which one is not made in China, but I think both are. Oh well.
Yes, I also must have grilles on speakers. I could not stand speakers w/o grilles - LS50, JBL 6332, Focal Solo6 & Twin6, Dynaudio pro monitor and MOST PRO MONITORS! I just don't get the no-grilles thing. :D

And unfortunately, most speakers are made in China, even the $10,000 Pioneer S1-EX are made in China.

One thing about ATC is that even their $1K/pr SCM7 monitors are made in England. I think all Dynaudio are made in Denmark, and all Focal are made in France too. I think all PMC are made in England too.

I would have paid an extra $500 for the TAD 2201 to be made in Japan, but I guess I am in the minority here. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The phase plug doesn't move. It can't. And the LS50 doesn't have grilles, to my knowledge at least.
Sir, I did not say phase plug. My choice of word "tangerine" might have misled you in a way. First of all, when I said tangerine, I referred to the color of the thing (waveguide/phase plug) I saw moving. Secondly, I should have elaborated instead of being tongue in cheek.

Regardless, obviously the phase plug itself does not move but the woofer moves, so in relative sense you will see the tangerine waveguide moving. It's like driving through heavy snow fall, one could think one's car is moving on its own when it is not. This does not happen so much with other speaker and I think it is the color of the waveguide and the woofer cone that might have amplified such effect, and that is a major distraction to me.

Anyway, thanks for pointing this out in case I might have misled others, though I sure hope most could read my mind on this one.:D I hope you are wrong (not much chance I know) about the grille thing though because if it comes with grilles, I might still buy a pair even though I still prefer the sound of the standalone R900 or even the 500.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I did a google image search and could not find any pic of the ls50 with grilles.

I think RandyB bought a pair. I got the impression he preferred the ls50 over most monitors, including the Andrew Jones Pioneer S-4EX speakers. Could be wrong, though.

But we all have our preferences. :D

I don't know why, but the majority of these Pro monitors just don't have grilles - ADAM, JBL, Focal, Dynaudio, KEF, Yamaha, Mackie, etc.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats man on yet another pair of speakers. :) You are one seriously crazy dude. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats man on yet another pair of speakers. :) You are one seriously crazy dude. :D
Non-audiophiles or non-Audioholics would say I'm an idiot, and I wouldn't argue too much. I would just say that it's a weakness. I'm only human. I'm an Audioholic. :D

Instead of drinking liquor/ alcohol (which I don't even like or do) or smoking or gambling, I am addicted to audio. :eek:

Only other Audioholics could possibly understand what I'm going through. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis