Symptoms of good and bad crossovers?

L

LiveJazz

Junior Audioholic
I'm having a little trouble understanding the concept of "good" vs. "bad" crossovers. I understand they are important, and I basically understand the purpose (to split the frequencies/signal/power between the various drivers in the most effective manner for a smooth overall freq. response).

What I don't understand is this:

Assuming a typical, adequate crossover is able to fulfill the above goal -the speaker sounds cohesive given the driver selection - what are the other advantages of particularly good crossover components? This is often mentioned in Audioholics reviews, but I'm not sure how this translates directly to overall sound performance. Does the better crossover simply get you that much closer to a perfect split of the signal between drivers? What are the other impacts/advantages? Other than actually looking at the crossover, how would you tell the difference? :confused:

Finally and most importantly, what speaker brands are known to have generally good crossovers?

Last edited:
L

LiveJazz

Junior Audioholic
That's perfect! I have some serious browsing to do in the Research section...I didn't realize the scope of it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis