SVS sub compensation chart

T

timone

Junior Audioholic
Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate it very much if someone could enlighten me on how to go about using the compensation chart to further calibrate my SVS PB13 Ultra sub. Here's the link to what I'm talking about: http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs-rscomp.cfm

Please explain in layman's term. Thanks.

timone

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
timone, hey. Using a set of test tones, you can measure the SPL at different frequencies - the test tones provide the frequencies, and the Radio Shack (or other brand) SPL meter will measure the SPL. With Radio Shack meters, after you've written down all of the measured SPLs at the different frequencies, you would then add the compensation decibels as provided by SVS (you can get those values at other sources, to, but their page is very convenient).

Example:
Frequency ..... Measured SPL ..... Compensation ..... Actual SPL
12Hz ............ 58dB ................. 16.5dB ............... 74.5dB
16Hz ............ 64dB ................. 11.5dB ............... 75.5dB
20Hz ............ 66dB .................. 7.5dB ................ 73.5dB
and so on.

Does that make sense?

EDIT: Sorry for all of the period marks in the table, but I forgot that the posts won't print multiple spaces.

Last edited:
T

timone

Junior Audioholic
Hi Adam,

thanks for the reply.

where do I get this set of test tones? At these different frequencies, what would be the volume level of my receiver? Where are the new SPL saved?

Sorry Adam. I sorely lack the audio sophistication in this regard. Please bear with me.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
What! You dont have a calibration disc and a SPL meter? Please go back to the beginner section and dont come out until I say you can:D:D
Hi Adam,

thanks for the reply.

where do I get this set of test tones? At these different frequencies, what would be the volume level of my receiver? Where are the new SPL saved?

Sorry Adam. I sorely lack the audio sophistication in this regard. Please bear with me.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Hi Adam,

thanks for the reply.

This is the test tones disk I use but it only goes down to 20Hz. This CD is good for looking at the the entire frequency range, not just LFE.

T

timone

Junior Audioholic
What! You dont have a calibration disc and a SPL meter? Please go back to the beginner section and dont come out until I say you can:D:D
Actually, Greg, I do have a SPL meter. My calibration disk simply generates a tone but not at different levels that the compensation chart suggests. So do you have a recommendation for me?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
My recommendation was to go to the begginer section until I told you to come out;)

I use the DVE and the Avia discs. The Rive may be better but I never tried it.
Actually, Greg, I do have a SPL meter. My calibration disk simply generates a tone but not at different levels that the compensation chart suggests. So do you have a recommendation for me?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
timone, there are a few different ways to get those tones. There are some that can be found online, and there are others that come on CD. I bought this test tone CD from av123.com that sells for $4.95 including shipping. It goes down to 16Hz.

I'd suggest that you start your receiver volume out at a low level and then work your way up depending on what SPL you measure. The disc that I bought has pink noise as the first track, and that helps you set the volume on your receiver. As a starting point, you could use that track to set the receiver volume so that the SPL measures 70dB on the SPL meter.

The CD doesn't generate test tones at different levels. They are all at the same level. However, your sub (and room) will play them at different levels. This is completely separate from the compensation that you asked about. The compensation is only about modifying the SPL that you measure to compensate for the fact that the Radio Shack SPL meter is not displaying the actual, correct SPL.

T

timone

Junior Audioholic
timone, there are a few different ways to get those tones. There are some that can be found online, and there are others that come on CD. I bought this test tone CD from av123.com that sells for $4.95 including shipping. It goes down to 16Hz.

I'd suggest that you start your receiver volume out at a low level and then work your way up depending on what SPL you measure. The disc that I bought has pink noise as the first track, and that helps you set the volume on your receiver. As a starting point, you could use that track to set the receiver volume so that the SPL measures 70dB on the SPL meter.
Thanks, Adam.

This is getting clearer to me as you folks respond to my questions.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis