SVS SB13-Ultra Subwoofer Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofer boasts a 13.5" proprietary driver and the feature laden STA-1000D Sledge amplifier into a small 17.4" sealed cube with internal bracing and a spotless gloss black finish. The SB13-Ultra is the most powerful sealed subwoofer system in SVS's current lineup and provides a high quality, low distortion bass response for your music listening, but with enough brass to handle movie night in a large room as well.

Could the SB13-Ultra quite possibly be the best value in high performance sealed subwoofers on the market today? Read our review to find out.

Read the SVS SB13-Ultra Subwoofer Review

Do you prefer sealed or ported subs? Let us know why.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Thanks for the review Josh; looks like a potent little bugger!

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Thank you for taking the time for this thorough review Josh with all of the measurements! It all confirms what I have been hearing in my room.

Last edited:
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Although it's no surprise that an SVS sub performs well, it's always nice to have the objective measurements. Thanks Ricci!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
The SB13U was my favorite sub I've had in my home to date...that was until recently...though. Sure wish it was still atop my XS30. I had both subs when I watched Metallica's Through the Never Disc because I'm a huge fan and love Lars Ulrich who in my opinion is only second to Danny Carey when sitting behind a kit. I love those heavy kick drums beats and ripping bass notes and Metallica always deliver...likewise with Tool who are pretty good to.;)

Great review as usual...:)

Last edited:
D

dmusoke

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the review Josh ... I have two SB13's in my system, so how would the SPL and distortions measurement change?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the review Josh ... I have two SB13's in my system, so how would the SPL and distortions measurement change?
as compared to your dual SB13's? if they were co-located, you just need to add 6db to the measurements (for SPL).

if not co-located, you get "maybe" 3-4db but the added advantage of smoothing out the frequency response.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Measurements look similar to the PB13U in sealed mode but I wonder if it sounds better regardless?

A

astr0b0y

Enthusiast
Great review. Thanks for the new test material in Pulse, that is madness. I tested the scene you mentioned (around 1:13) and made my PB-2000 whistle! Pretty sure it's not supposed to do that! Makes me wish for a 13" SVS.

Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Now if SVS would only restart that SB16-U project...

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Measurements look similar to the PB13U in sealed mode but I wonder if it sounds better regardless?
I know I've seen some folks mention they thought the SB13U sounded better, though I wouldn't bet big money on my ability to tell them apart blind. The biggest difference at a glance for me is on the top end. The PB13 sealed is relatively flat from 40Hz on up while the SB13 has a slightly rising response. The SB13 also offers a bit more output from 63Hz on up. I know in my space, I ended up with a drooping top end from the PB13, so a native response that tips upwards a bit w/ the added output to back it up like the SB13 would have been a step in the right direction for me.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
Josh,

Great review! Great subjective comments with thorough measurements to back it up. I found it very interesting that you found this to be your favorite SVS sub you have heard so far, especially since it doesn't extend as low linearly as its ported brothers. Would having 1 to 3 more of them optimally placed in the room be enough to compensate for this shortcoming in your room because of room gain? That is what I was kind of reading between the lines. Or, is it your favorite SVS sub because music is more of a priority than movies, and you don't care as much about the 30Hz and below range?

N

nickboros

Audioholic
The SB13U was my favorite sub I've had in my home to date...that was until recently...though. Sure wish it was still atop my XS30. I had both subs when I watched Metallica's Through the Never Disc because I'm a huge fan and love Lars Ulrich who in my opinion is only second to Danny Carey when sitting behind a kit. I love those heavy kick drums beats and ripping bass notes and Metallica always deliver...likewise with Tool who are pretty good to.;)

Great review as usual...:)
That is interesting you preferred the XS30 to the SB13 Ultra. It seems like the XS30 would probably be better in terms of output and price, but the SB13 Ultra better in terms of size, fit and finish and DSP adjustments to make it work better in your room. So is music the priority for you or home theater?

I would love of Josh Ricci would review a big sealed sub like the Powersound XS30 or even the Rythmik F25. They seem to almost have the output capabilities of a good ported sub, like the SVS PB12+ or Rythmik FV15HP, but in a sealed design. Also, it would be interesting to see how they stack up to the SB13, since they do seem to have the price and output advantage, if you are okay with the larger size.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know I've seen some folks mention they thought the SB13U sounded better, though I wouldn't bet big money on my ability to tell them apart blind. The biggest difference at a glance for me is on the top end. The PB13 sealed is relatively flat from 40Hz on up while the SB13 has a slightly rising response. The SB13 also offers a bit more output from 63Hz on up. I know in my space, I ended up with a drooping top end from the PB13, so a native response that tips upwards a bit w/ the added output to back it up like the SB13 would have been a step in the right direction for me.
I doubt I will hear the difference either but will soon find out.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i know for music the SB sounds better to me than the ported version. although technically, the porteds measure "cleaner" ... i guess it is subjective taste to prefer the "sealed sound", i'm sure someone can explain the "sealed distortion". another reason is that i feel that the extra low bass the porteds bring to music are a bit distracting (if you listen to each one after the other).

i would say for music, if the SB was a 100 ... the PB was an 80. for movies, if the PB/PC was a 100 ... the SB was a 50. but that's just me.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Now if SVS would only restart that SB16-U project...
if they can't do the 16 ... a dual 13 sub would still be killer i'm sure.

SB13 Ultra/2

and a PB13 Ultra/2 would be an F U to the world.

though i'm not sure getting an amp with that much power is feasible. would still look deadly though aesthetically even with just 3db extra woof (using the same amp)

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
i
and a PB13 Ultra/2 would be an F U to the world.

though i'm not sure getting an amp with that much power is feasible. would still look deadly though aesthetically even with just 3db extra woof (using the same amp)
But if you read the review on the baddest Funk, that thing put out over 120 dB for anything above 32 Hz IIRC, i.e. would still killed the PBU/2 wouldn't it?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
But if you read the review on the baddest Funk, that thing put out over 120 dB for anything above 32 Hz IIRC, i.e. would still killed the PBU/2 wouldn't it?
guess i'm not in the subwoofer loop anymore ... i'm not seeing that in Josh's list. which model is that?

-0-

was thinking over what i said above ... i guess SVS wouldn't do that, since they would just recommend duals in the first place for an instant 6db benefit.

kinda the same issue as the dual F113 vs Gotham or dual DD18 vs DD1812

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
I have fallen on hard times and need some quick cash to repair my truck. What would you kind folks consider as a fair asking price for a 1yr old SB13-Ultra?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis