SVS SB13-Ultra Subwoofer Contest Review Thread

Which Contestant wrote the best product evaluation?

• Adam

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Eugovector

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • PBC

Votes: 34 50.7%

• Total voters
S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic
I enjoyed all three reviews. They all gave a different perspective to the reviewing process, some with more detail and some with more humor. In the end, detail won me over and I voted for pbc's review, but the site of a swinging golf club nearly won me over.

pbc went through a lot of info in his review, including taking the amp out and showing the guts of the sub. His attention to detail, combined with the feedback he received from SVS and included, and clear writing style was exactly what I think a review should be.

Kudos to all three reviewers.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
agreed. all 3 provided different things the others didn't. so they're all very useful.

i think all subwoofer reviews should be like this ...

triple user reviews + josh's technical review = best (most comprehensive) subwoofer review ever.

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Could you imagine the lead time on a review with that kind of requirement! :D

Personally I think Gene should just bite the bullet, and for all subwoofer reviews fly the 3 of us out to Josh's place so we can witness the CEA-2010 testing, then we can all do the reviews together.

During the winter, these reviews shouldn't cease, and we should all be flown to SoCal so that the weather is still okay for Josh to do his stuff. May also mean we require a private jet of some sort - to house all of Josh's equipment, of course - not for personal enjoyment.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
agreed. all 3 provided different things the others didn't. so they're all very useful.
Agreed. I really enjoyed the other reviews, too.

Sure, there's the contest side of things - but the real star of all of this is the sub, and the value of the contest is all of the information and knowledge that we can help share. Hopefully folks will find at least one review that strikes a chord and helps them as they decide if this is the sub for them. Those are the real winners of this, IMO. The SB13-Ultra is just a great new addition to what's out there, and all of these different perspectives increase the chances that people will find the info that they want.

I hope that people will continue to come here, read the reviews, and ask questions after the contest is over. All three of us got to spend some quality time with this sub, and we might just have the answers that people are looking for.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Voting Poll Bogus

Guys,

The poll voting seems to be getting manipulated by unregistered members. I didn't realize at the time that anyone could vote in this poll. In the future, I will have to see how we can only limit voting to registered members if we ever structure a contest like this again.

As such, I am thinking we should throw out the votes and just count user votes of people responding in this thread. You must have at least 5 posts to your name to be considered an eligible vote. Also, don't try to register under multiple accounts or IP addresses as we track cookies. It's sad that I even have to state all of these restrictions explicitly because of a few rule breakers.

SO if you haven't already, please cast your vote by responding: either Adam, Eugovector or PBC.

Thanks.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
And what happens if the person has set things up such that they don't accept cookies?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
And what happens if the person has set things up such that they don't accept cookies?
There's ways to beat any system. So, I'll say this - the only thing worse to me than losing a rigged contest would be to win a rigged contest. I can't express how good I feel that people liked my review, and I'll reiterate that I'll be happy regardless of who wins. I really hope that everyone is happy when this is over. I hope people think the contest was fair, and I hope that people learn about the sub and check it out.

The contest will be over soon, and we'll soon forget it. But, luckily the reviews will remain for folks to check out.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I think they were all obviously excellent and brought different things to the table. That being said I voted for Eugovector. I just enjoyed his video the most. 3 cheers for video reviews!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
PBC for me. I think his seemed the most "professional"

T

tistru

Enthusiast
Great reviews to all. Does anyone have any concept of how the SB13 ultra compares to the discontinued SB13+? I saw the notes from the SVS guys about the differences between the two but I'm wondering if the difference can be heard in a real world environment. Is there a noticeable improvement with the new model?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I cast my vote for PBC. IMO, it was the most thorough and informative. That's not to say I found Adam's or Eugovecter's poor. Taken together in conjunction with Ricci's work it paints an excellent picture of the sub's capabilities. When you look at reviews for subs at other sites, quite frankly they pale in comparison. This contest truly demonstrated excellence and I wish there were a way for all three to win something of substance. I'd like to see more of this in the future. My deep appreciation for all three gentlemen's hard work as a new standard has been set.

A

Archaea

Enthusiast
PBC for the win.

PBC's review clearly seemed the most thorough. The data that PBC provided was both useful, and clear and it was obvious a lot of effort and time went into his review especially. I don't know any of these guys personally, though I do know PBC as a regular poster on another av forum. I did enjoy reading all the reviews, but I think PBC's review was on a different level entirely.

In the future it would be quite interesting and appropriate to mask the identity of the reviewer to get unbiased votes.

You got one reviewer who has nearly 30,000 posts, and one who is a fraction of that post count. The regulars here will certainly have interacted with Adam over PBC for instance and that may skew the results of this particular contest. Again I liked all of the reviews and I think you have a fantastic program idea for future reviews, but I believe PBC's review shows the most effort in this particular contest.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Just for the record I'm voting for PBC. I read all three reviews...truth be told....I don't know Marshall but I really enjoyed both his Svs reviews(pb12 nsd & sb13u)...both reviews were well executed and informative. Adam...what can I say....although I've never meet him.... I have the utmost respect for him...he is a very very regular contributor to this forum and goes to great lengths in assisting & helping others...I found his review informative with a refreshing fun seeking spin or approach....thanks buddy...:). Yeah....I've shared a cup of coffee with Steve (or PBC which most of you know him as:)) in a small GTG we had here last year but I voted for him primarily on the criteria mentioned by those above...IMHO it was the most thorough and complete review of the 3 submitted.

I'd also like to give Gene a big shout for stepping in...suspecting something was not right & making it right....Thanks Gene!

Good luck to each contestant...
Regards, Bill...:)

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
My vote goes to ADAM , I liked his review, the comparison, he made me feel at home so to speak. Well done Adam , PBC and Eugovector, all three were very informative.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis