SVS PB-1000 & SB-1000 Powered Subwoofers Preview

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
These are a pleasant surprise!
Based on the cost and quality of their recent products (new Ultra subs and speakers), it looked as if SVS was only working toward more expensive, higher end products.
It is nice to see them introduce a "budget" sub!

C

CHASLS2

Audioholic Intern
I wonder if two SB1000's would do better than my single PB12-NSD? My bedroom is tight on space for two PB12 NSD's.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I wonder if two SB1000's would do better than my single PB12-NSD? My bedroom is tight on space for two PB12 NSD's.
if you meant PB1000's ... it's likely.
if you meant SB1000's ... i don't think so.

just going by what Ed M said in their FB page:

Dual PB-1000 will outperform a single PB12-NSD or PC12-NSD, on average with about 40-50% more max output. This is to be expected since they have more driver area, more internal enclosure volume and more port area - of course they cost more too. :)

C

CHASLS2

Audioholic Intern
if you meant PB1000's ... it's likely.
if you meant SB1000's ... i don't think so.

just going by what Ed M said in their FB page:
The PB1000 is not much smaller than my PB12 NSD. I could fit two of them in my bedroom , but only just.

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
Thanks for posting the pics, Mike!

The 1000-series are the first of the 'next generation' of SVS subwoofers, so we're starting with the '1000' as the entry level and moving up over time. It will simply make it easier in the long-run to distinguish the performance levels within each family. The Ultra name has such strong association with the SVS brand, we'll be keeping that regardless.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Thanks for posting the pics, Mike!

The 1000-series are the first of the 'next generation' of SVS subwoofers, so we're starting with the '1000' as the entry level and moving up over time. It will simply make it easier in the long-run to distinguish the performance levels within each family. The Ultra name has such strong association with the SVS brand, we'll be keeping that regardless.
Does the 1000 series use custom drivers, or are they also Peerless drivers built to SVS' specs?...

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
Does the 1000 series use custom drivers, or are they also Peerless drivers built to SVS' specs?...
Like the NSD series, the 1000-series woofers are Peerless based, built to SVS specifications. Thanks.

D

djmurray324

Enthusiast
HSU Comparison

So which HSU sub is the PB 1000 most comparable to? I was ready to pull the trigger on a vtf-2 until I saw this. I spoke with someone at SVS and they said it would be equivalent to the vtf-2. If that's the case, I would go with this and save the $83. Not sure if it matters but my room is 3,500 cubic feet.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If SVS told you the VTF-2, then the VTF-2 it is. You won't go wrong either way IMO, but $83 is $83 :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The PB1000 looks to be on par with the VTF1, not the VTF2; compare the specs. I think the VTF2 is more on the PB12 NSD's level.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
The PB1000 looks to be on par with the VTF1, not the VTF2; compare the specs. I think the VTF2 is more on the PB12 NSD's level.
i don't think the VTF-1's 25hz tuning (i don't see an FR spec on HSU's website) is anywhere near the 19hz extension of the PB1000

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was talking about output more than extension. Anyway, you make it sound as if a whole 6 hertz were some kind of vast gulf.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
I doubt that the HSU VTF1 or VTF2 is going to have any significant advantage in output. I would have to agree that the PB1000 would be closer to the VTF2 in performance and that the PB12 NSD would be on par with the VTF3. Both have there strong points and neither is going to vastly outperform the other in any way.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I was talking about output more than extension. Anyway, you make it sound as if a whole 6 hertz were some kind of vast gulf.
In this case its a bit more than a third of an octave step, and viewed from that angle, it is a significant difference.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
why do you keep doing this to yourself. (not a question mark)

for the sake of argument we ignore extension in talking about subwoofers (eventhough that's hilarious), it looked like you based YOUR comparison on price rather than actual objective output data.

or are you again saying anything HSU makes is greater than anything SVS makes?

edit: look, i don't really claim to know anything about these measurements and stuff, but i do know i need both objective and subjective data TOGETHER to make informed decisions/conclusions.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Anyway, you make it sound as if a whole 6 hertz were some kind of vast gulf.
At 20 kHz, it's not. At ~20 Hz...okay, at least I think it is. I wanted a sub-20 Hz subwoofer, and 25 Hz wasn't going to cut it for me (I owned one), even though that was only 6 Hz. I've already admitted to being daft, but it meant something to me.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm not comparing price, I am comparing specs. The enclosure size between the PB1000 and VTF1 is nearly identical. The woofer size is the same. The PB1000 has a somewhat more powerful amplifier, but it isn't enough difference to mean anything unless we knew the sensitivity of the drivers. Now compare the PB1000 to the VTF2. I just don't believe it will be in the same weight class regarding output, but of course, that is only speculation. If you look at the measurements of the PB12, it isn't exactly an output monster itself, and SVS is saying the PB1000 can not even get as loud as that. I wouldn't be surprised if the VTF2 can match the PB12 NSD in output and extension, although I don't think it would do it at the NSD'd perfectly flat FR or ultra low distortion levels.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not comparing price, I am comparing specs. The enclosure size between the PB1000 and VTF1 is nearly identical. The woofer size is the same. The PB1000 has a somewhat more powerful amplifier, but it isn't enough difference to mean anything unless we knew the sensitivity of the drivers. Now compare the PB1000 to the VTF2. I just don't believe it will be in the same weight class regarding output, but of course, that is only speculation. If you look at the measurements of the PB12, it isn't exactly an output monster itself, and SVS is saying the PB1000 can not even get as loud as that. I wouldn't be surprised if the VTF2 can match the PB12 NSD in output and extension, although I don't think it would do it at the NSD'd perfectly flat FR or ultra low distortion levels.
i will give you that.

Your assumptions, in the above quote, and the way you presented them are very reasonable.

in the absence of further info, i will defer to SVS/Ed M.

but i reserve that between two subs with similar outputs, yes, the difference between 19 and 25hz is not only a gulf, but an entire galaxy.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Wowwowwewa! I still think that I would rather go full balls PB-12NSD so I don't have to buy again one day. Good looking units for the price.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That "only" 6hz makes a big difference when we are talking about below 25hz. When you get that low, it takes a more substantial sub to perform well in that range, so in this case, that is not a meaningless difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis