SVS 16 ultra Reference Sealed Vs SVS Ultra 13 ported

D

dafirst

Junior Audioholic
Hi there. Anyone has any knowledge about which one will dig deeper? As it's been said that ported subs turn to dig deeper than sealed. Likewise its being said the bigger the better. Wish I can get the chance to demo. I do own the Ultra 13 ported Bash amp

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Given the same cab size, a ported alignment will give a lower f3 but 24 db/oct roll off, and you cannot apply any boost down there (ports and active drivers are going out of phase, hence the steeper roll-off...applying eq would yield excessive cone motion but no added output).

Sealed will give a higher f3, but a shallower slope of 12 db/oct, which can be eq'd (within limits). Generally speaking with all this.

It's quite possible that between cabin gain and eq that one could get the sealed to dig deeper, but it depends on the specifics of your room.

To put it into context, if you have an open floor plan that eats bass, you wouldn't get much if any cabin gain and would probably get deeper going with the ported sub. If it's a small, more enclosed room, you'll get significant room reinforcement in the lower registers making a sealed alignment a sensible choice. Does this help?

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
D'oh, can't seem to read after work apparently...you were asking about specific subs.

Not sure about those specific products, so dig up their specs, tell us about your room, and we can go from there. Either of those subs are on the rather Herculean side of things.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
D'oh, can't seem to read after work apparently...you were asking about specific subs.

Not sure about those specific products, so dig up their specs, tell us about your room, and we can go from there. Either of those subs are on the rather Herculean side of things.
LOL glad I'm not the only one who forgets what the title of a thread says when the body doesn't repeat it :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi there. Anyone has any knowledge about which one will dig deeper? As it's been said that ported subs turn to dig deeper than sealed. Likewise its being said the bigger the better. Wish I can get the chance to demo. I do own the Ultra 13 ported Bash amp
It's kinda apples and oranges , what size room would the be used in.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis