Survey: Please respond owners of Logitech Harmony One Remote (over one year)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Guys, My 880 is on it's dying bed (common issue with worn out keys after about two years of use)
I need new remote and since the lazy person way :rolleyes: is just to update to newer harmony remote this is most likely the way I'll take.

[* Yes, I know URC makes (possibly) better remotes, but I don't have the time to re-program it from scratch.. :eek:]

So, since Harmony One is on the market over two years - and I read Audioholics review, I'd like to get owners opinions of this remote over extended periods of time (at least a year) -

Does Harmony one operational suffers in any way with prolonged use? (I care much less about aesthetics) - I don't want to change remotes every two years... :mad:
How's the touch screen activities - is it really annoying or easy to get used to?

btw: The remote current Amazon price of $172 - is much more tempting than original MSRP of $249.99 ;)

1hagop

Audioholic Intern
I have had my Harmony One for about 1 year.
After one year, everything still works however one thing is a little glitchy. The remote will "come alive" when you pick it up, well it did, now I shake it a little and it will wake up. All buttons still work like day one and no wear has been noticed. Other than the one little thing it is fine. The touch screen does take a little to get used to. When using my thumb I often hit the wrong button, when using index finger it is fine.
On the price thing watch amazon, newegg and tigerdirect for deals they put refurbs on sale for $120. When I bought mine from amazon I paid 120 and then the next week the price went up to 170 but you got a free PS3 adapter. So I emailed amazon and said I bought 1 week too early (what the heck the email took 2 minutes to write and it could not hurt!). They sent me a free PS3 adapter. So my Harmony w/PS3 adapter was $120!

One thing I do not like is no RF, I will by the 900 next time! These do not go on sale that often and when they do they are still way over $200!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hey Guys, My 880 is on it's dying bed (common issue with worn out keys after about two years of use)
I need new remote and since the lazy person way :rolleyes: is just to update to newer harmony remote this is most likely the way I'll take.

[* Yes, I know URC makes (possibly) better remotes, but I don't have the time to re-program it from scratch.. :eek:]
See, that's one of the great things about URC (at least at the lower level, which you would likely be looking at), and that is how quick it is. I programmed my macros in less than 10 minutes, and that's even after having to troubleshoot (IR emitter from RF station was not all the way in). Just sayin'. I bet you I could program a macro from scratch for URC as quickly as you could update your Harmony (find cord, login to site, wait, go to update page while waiting again, go on with update, etc). All I do to program is hit desired key on URC, then immediately punch original button on original remote. So, really, I could do 15 keys in a minute.

My ($50) RF20 has long outlived my ($80) Harmony 520. In fact, it still looks new (the Harmony was faded with cheap paint coming off before "play" and "volume" keys finally died), and is still working impeccably. Oh, and it has RF to boot! And it's cheap!

One downside with the bottom o barrel RF20 is that the RF cannot be defeated. Therefore, you will eat batteries more quickly.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have had my Harmony One for about 1 year.
After one year, everything still works however one thing is a little glitchy. The remote will "come alive" when you pick it up, well it did, now I shake it a little and it will wake up. All buttons still work like day one and no wear has been noticed. Other than the one little thing it is fine. The touch screen does take a little to get used to. When using my thumb I often hit the wrong button, when using index finger it is fine.
On the price thing watch amazon, newegg and tigerdirect for deals they put refurbs on sale for $120. When I bought mine from amazon I paid 120 and then the next week the price went up to 170 but you got a free PS3 adapter. So I emailed amazon and said I bought 1 week too early (what the heck the email took 2 minutes to write and it could not hurt!). They sent me a free PS3 adapter. So my Harmony w/PS3 adapter was $120!

One thing I do not like is no RF, I will by the 900 next time! These do not go on sale that often and when they do they are still way over $200!
Thanks, thats pretty much in line with my expectation, btw: that waking-up shake is also became evident on my 880 after a while.... This is just pisses me off, so much promise, while such poor quality :(

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
See, that's one of the great things about URC (at least at the lower level, which you would likely be looking at), and that is how quick it is. I programmed my macros in less than 10 minutes, and that's even after having to troubleshoot (IR emitter from RF station was not all the way in). Just sayin'. I bet you I could program a macro from scratch for URC as quickly as you could update your Harmony (find cord, login to site, wait, go to update page while waiting again, go on with update, etc). All I do to program is hit desired key on URC, then immediately punch original button on original remote. So, really, I could do 15 keys in a minute.

My ($50) RF20 has long outlived my ($80) Harmony 520. In fact, it still looks new (the Harmony was faded with cheap paint coming off before "play" and "volume" keys finally died), and is still working impeccably. Oh, and it has RF to boot! And it's cheap!

One downside with the bottom o barrel RF20 is that the RF cannot be defeated. Therefore, you will eat batteries more quickly.
Yes, I know how much folk 'round here love URC. About programming - 10 minutes? I think I sent total about 4 hours with "easy" Logitech software...
I must have macros programmed for all equipment plus my boxee htpc requires custom key mappings... (and I don't have MS MPC or the xbox360 remotes in case I need to teach it manually)
RF20 does look a bit like remotes from last century - I know technology didn't changed much... but....
About RF - Well, I sit straight line about 10-12ft from tv screen and all equipment is in straight line sight... Sometimes couch and/or coffee table gets in the way (then wife forgets to lift it to operate it)
Bottom line - RF would be nice to have , but not mandatory, budget first.

Question:
If I were to spent about $100 which would better option:
URC R50 or the RF20+PB - I like the functionality of the 2nd option but 1st remote is much nicer (very close to current harmony).
The problem is getting both pros in same remote from URC would cost me towards $350-400 :(

Any ideas?

Last edited:
B

BWG707

Audioholic
I've owned my Harmony One for almost 2 years and still like it alot. The one thing that has gone wrong is that the lights will not come on by picking it up or by shaking it you have to touch the screen or push a button. That's a bit bothersome but really doesn't brother me that much. This remote has done everything that I've wanted it to do and more. Once I programed it there wasn't one function that I had to "make it learn". I'm very satisfied with it. Also when I purchased it I found on online rebate coupon for $35 plus it was on sale so I got it at a very reasonable price. On the flip side I have never owned a NRC remote so I have no way to compare the two.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Question:
If I were to spent about $100 which would better option:
URC R50 or the RF20+PB - I like the functionality of the 2nd option but 1st remote is much nicer (very close to current harmony).
The problem is getting both pros in same remote from URC would cost me towards $350-400 :(

Any ideas?
Bump... still want to hear your opinions guys....

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Bump... still want to hear your opinions guys....
I will attempt to post a couple of pics of my two universal remotes during the next 48 hrs. The remote that at least comes with the RFS200 pack is silver on top (much better looking than in the zon pics, though not the very sexiest remote I've ever seen).

Here is a review I typed up a couple of years ago. So I misremembered in that it actually took 15 minutes or less (but still including the troubleshooting; and remember that bit because it can save you great confusion). Also, I use the channel buttons as my chapter skips. Dunno what I was thinking. ALSO . . . when you program volume, hold down the original. Otherwise, when you hold down URC volume, it still only goes one click at a time. I've programmed this unit for at least three households already (and I've done about the same amount with Harmonys), and the volume works perfectly everywhere except for the one instance with my own Cambridge integrated. I prefer having the "continuous" ability, but in this case the single click changes volume by two clicks. It's something I'm living with. And I'm too cheap to buy a second remote for my second system (shuffling the remote back and forth between the two rooms).

My review:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46819

EDIT: ok it probably DID only take 10 minutes. The 15 minutes included programming a macro two times.

EDIT #2: I really love that I can add a button in about 15 seconds, without going thru that whole Harmony hassle. For instance, I added late night function to defeat autoflagged DRC for TrueHD when I discovered that, for my Onkyo. Or when I added RE-EQ for if/when I care about Audyssey target curves. Or anything. A lot less of a Pain In My *** to tweak.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the good info jostenmeat .. It seems there are multiple tricks regarding URC programming.... (Well, I know I'll figure it out - After all I could program my VCR clock ;-)

Any opinions about R50 ? Someone said R50 is consumer version of MX-450 ... I wonder what's missing in R50 and could one be turned into latter (if it makes any sense at all?)

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
No offense to harmony owners but I akin their remotes to something like a Sony Dream Theater, lots of looks and gets the job done but at what cost to the overall experience. The R50 is good remote and if your only interested in IR go for it. I'm spoiled with remotes as I've programmed most of the upper tier units. To me a good remote is just as important as the rest of the system. I'd see no problems with specing a 1500 remote control system and saying it has limitations. So the base consumer remotes from URC are an excellent value for the control you achieve.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the good info jostenmeat .. It seems there are multiple tricks regarding URC programming.... (Well, I know I'll figure it out - After all I could program my VCR clock ;-)

Any opinions about R50 ? Someone said R50 is consumer version of MX-450 ... I wonder what's missing in R50 and could one be turned into latter (if it makes any sense at all?)
I don't have any opinions or real knowledge about the R50, but pros seem to like it for what it is. I ran a quick search function on R50 in the URC subforum at Remote Central (THE place for remotes), and here it is:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/forums/search.cgi?sid=236771

the subforum:
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-master/list.cgi

A few pics of my RF20 next to decrepit Harmony 520:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Huge thanks again Jm!
I wish I could thank you a mil times!
Yesterday my wife saw stock pics of RF20 and said that it isn't butt ugly :D
So, looks like today I'll order the RFS200 :cool:

Thanks everyone for the great advice

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

So, since Harmony One is on the market over two years - and I read Audioholics review, I'd like to get owners opinions of this remote over extended periods of time (at least a year) -

Does Harmony one operational suffers in any way with prolonged use? (I care much less about aesthetics) - I don't want to change remotes every two years... :mad:
How's the touch screen activities - is it really annoying or easy to get used to?

btw: The remote current Amazon price of $172 - is much more tempting than original MSRP of $249.99 ;)
Open it and clean the circuit board and the back of the rubber button mat with denatured alcohol. If the numbers and other print are worn off, call Harmony and get a new one.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I had three 880's that ticked me off so much with them refusing to charge unless you parked a car on top of them to get the metal parts to make contact, that I jsut gave em away. (Seriously I tried everything known to man to get those dang things to charge properly from weights to taking out the dremel and sanding down around the contact points on the remote. Friggin 880 was the worst remote.

So I called harmony with my story on how as a loyal customer I gave away my 659 remotes to upgrade to those 880 POS and swore off ever buying another "rechargable remote" ever again. So Harmony agreed to sell me three 659's for half off each one. I bought two and even though they suck batteries (I get em free at work so what do I care) they have worked flawlessly and I never ever have to worry about spending hours trying to make those dang contact points sit properly.

I would wish a rechargable remote on my worst enemy, but love the battery operated 659's

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I will attempt to post a couple of pics of my two universal remotes during the next 48 hrs. The remote that at least comes with the RFS200 pack is silver on top (much better looking than in the zon pics, though not the very sexiest remote I've ever seen).

Here is a review I typed up a couple of years ago. So I misremembered in that it actually took 15 minutes or less (but still including the troubleshooting; and remember that bit because it can save you great confusion). Also, I use the channel buttons as my chapter skips. Dunno what I was thinking. ALSO . . . when you program volume, hold down the original. Otherwise, when you hold down URC volume, it still only goes one click at a time. I've programmed this unit for at least three households already (and I've done about the same amount with Harmonys), and the volume works perfectly everywhere except for the one instance with my own Cambridge integrated. I prefer having the "continuous" ability, but in this case the single click changes volume by two clicks. It's something I'm living with. And I'm too cheap to buy a second remote for my second system (shuffling the remote back and forth between the two rooms).

My review:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46819

EDIT: ok it probably DID only take 10 minutes. The 15 minutes included programming a macro two times.

EDIT #2: I really love that I can add a button in about 15 seconds, without going thru that whole Harmony hassle. For instance, I added late night function to defeat autoflagged DRC for TrueHD when I discovered that, for my Onkyo. Or when I added RE-EQ for if/when I care about Audyssey target curves. Or anything. A lot less of a Pain In My *** to tweak.
Ok, So I got RF20+Blaster last week on late Friday
I had few hours to play with it. My feelings are mixed - so far I was able to program most important functions into it, however logic of macros and assigning them eludes me.... Maybe I should watch the provided dvd ..

RF is a huge plus and it works better than I expected - so now - no more missed IR commands due to remote doesn't have direct line of sight....

I guess I'm too used to the ways the harmony remote. I used to have to turn of component and change ports by pressing on name of "activity" aka macro... and turn it off by shared off button... Due to only 10 "components" on the main page, I need to share these 10 b'ween macros and actual components. How do you guys get around than?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Ok, So I got RF20+Blaster last week on late Friday
I had few hours to play with it. My feelings are mixed - so far I was able to program most important functions into it, however logic of macros and assigning them eludes me.... Maybe I should watch the provided dvd ..

RF is a huge plus and it works better than I expected - so now - no more missed IR commands due to remote doesn't have direct line of sight....

I guess I'm too used to the ways the harmony remote. I used to have to turn of component and change ports by pressing on name of "activity" aka macro... and turn it off by shared off button... Due to only 10 "components" on the main page, I need to share these 10 b'ween macros and actual components. How do you guys get around than?
If your having problems with assigning device buttons as macros, you need to press the page up button twice after holding down the macro key during the setup, then it should show you the "main" screen. You can also do press and hold macros for devices as an option. The dvd may help a bit, but practicing will be easier to get it down. Just remember to include pauses if you have slow powering on equipment

G

goonstopher

Audioholic Intern
My 880 is dying too and its not very old, these things are just not very durable but they are SO easy to use. Honestly it is less than a year old since it was replaced. Been through 2 units in under 2 years.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My 880 is dying too and its not very old, these things are just not very durable but they are SO easy to use. Honestly it is less than a year old since it was replaced. Been through 2 units in under 2 years.
I'm pretty technical person, but even for me switch from 880 (yes - quality wise it's really bad) to RFS200 wasn't painless. Programming Macros on the remote is confusing to say as the least and manual has little help to bring controls to somewhat same level of comfort as 880 had.
Layout of keys is only marginally better than 880, but forward/rewind keys size is annoying and backlid is not great.

So, while RFS200 is build like a tank and RF is big plus, I still strongly miss PC remote programming. Maybe going MX series would solve this, but it's out of my budget for remote. Heck I could get brand new TV for what URC charges for some high series remotes :(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis