legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
Hello. I have two Audiofile towers setup as my surrounds. Now I understand that surround channels dont' put out much sound. BUT i do like when you can hear foot steps coming from the side or behind. Or a bullet flying by and I can hear it on my surrounds. Having said all that.

I sometimes cannot hear the side sounds. the footsteps. the bullet flying by. Or the japanese planes flying by in Pearl Harbor. Why? I have them on 80hz XO. My Onkyo HT-R590 only has the option to set a general XO. I cannot set up the XO for individual speakers. I have the level at 8.5db. What can I do? thx.

Attachments

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The crossover has nothing to do with this.

Did you set your levels by ear using the internal test tones in your receiver*? If they are pretty equal loudness, then they are probably doing what the mixing engineers intended.

* You may want to check your manual for this.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Sometimes the action on the screen do not call for the
side and rear effects - while at other times according to
the sceen/angle, you will hear them.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Going on the premise that “two Audiofile towers set up as surrounds” means you have a 5.1 set up:

Assuming that you have all the levels adjusted correctly, and your source unit is set to output Dolby Digital and not PCM, and that you have the receiver set correctly for Dolby Digital and not something else, I’m going to guess that you plugged the speakers into the 7.1 speaker terminals. Either that or maybe you have the receiver set for 7.1 instead of 5.1.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic

Going on the premise that “two Audiofile towers set up as surrounds” means you have a 5.1 set up:

Assuming that you have all the levels adjusted correctly, and your source unit is set to output Dolby Digital and not PCM, and that you have the receiver set correctly for Dolby Digital and not something else, I’m going to guess that you plugged the speakers into the 7.1 speaker terminals. Either that or maybe you have the receiver set for 7.1 instead of 5.1.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
OK. I did run the tone test. All the speakers put out the sound they need to put out.

I have a 7.2 setup. I have the 2 E90's, Polk center, 2 audiofile surrounds, and 2 onkyo front high surrounds, and 2 subs.

Yes the surrounds are hooked up to the AVR on the correct surround speaker connections.
Yes it is on Dolby Digital.
Actually yesterday I bought Interstellar and hoped for the best. I chose DTS HD Mstr audio from the movie settings and it started playing in that format on my PS3. NOW......my family and I noticed on some parts of the movie we could barely hear the voices when talking. So I switched my AVR to PLIIx and the voices got better in the center channel. We could hear them much more clearly even with all the loud scenes of the movie. I could also hear the surrounds much better in the PLIIx format. For some reason though on the AVR screen it showed DTS HD MSTR AUDIO even though I was using PLIIx format. I then put in Rambo (the newest one) and I could here the surrounds really well. I guess it depends on the movie correct? Some more than others.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
OK. I did run the tone test. All the speakers put out the sound they need to put out.

I have a 7.2 setup. I have the 2 E90's, Polk center, 2 audiofile surrounds, and 2 onkyo front high surrounds, and 2 subs.

Yes the surrounds are hooked up to the AVR on the correct surround speaker connections.
Yes it is on Dolby Digital.
Actually yesterday I bought Interstellar and hoped for the best. I chose DTS HD Mstr audio from the movie settings and it started playing in that format on my PS3. NOW......my family and I noticed on some parts of the movie we could barely hear the voices when talking. So I switched my AVR to PLIIx and the voices got better in the center channel. We could hear them much more clearly even with all the loud scenes of the movie. I could also hear the surrounds much better in the PLIIx format. For some reason though on the AVR screen it showed DTS HD MSTR AUDIO even though I was using PLIIx format. I then put in Rambo (the newest one) and I could here the surrounds really well. I guess it depends on the movie correct? Some more than others.
I just finished watching interstellar and had the same problem it was hard to to the talking during the action it was like Mathew Mc Conaughey was whispering

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just finished watching interstellar and had the same problem it was hard to to the talking during the action it was like Mathew Mc Conaughey was whispering
As you will note from my review of Interstellar most rigs will have trouble with this movie.

The sound effects are intended to be very, very loud and deep.

So, you have to set the volume so you hear the dialog clearly first.

Now parts of the movie will be so loud, most systems will not play it without severe distress and I bet quite a few will be destroyed. This movie has already destroyed some iMax theaters.

So, your options are to up the dialog channel while playing this movie, or to use one of the compression modes to reduce the dynamic range.

When I played the movie, I had significant fears for the structural integrity of my house! This is a movie you will have to treat with great respect.

We have a thread running on Interstellar now.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Ok,

Now I have to go pick up this movie for the soundtrack :)

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
Yes I agree. The review explains that some parts of the movie are very difficult to understand. I like the movie.....BUT the soundtrack could have been better. thx.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes I agree. The review explains that some parts of the movie are very difficult to understand. I like the movie.....BUT the soundtrack could have been better. thx.
I disagree, I thought the soundtrack was excellent. Extremely intense at times. Had me fearing I might get booted from my apartment at times, but excellent.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Sometimes it is because the speakers are limited in what they can do.

I will rent this movie off Amazon Prime

SurvivalDad

SurvivalDad

Audioholic Intern
I agree it is a phenomenal soundtrack. I used compression and got the result I was looking for. Not ideal but worth it for the experience.

legendary70

legendary70

Audioholic
OK. Yes the soundtrack is great. The speakers were working OT in some parts.....but all that noise made it difficult to hear matt speaking.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis