Surround sound configuration

S

Sketty55

Audiophyte
Hi all. Longtime lurker and first time poster here. Love the site and all of the great info provided from the community!

I've never had a high end system in my home but have decided to make the plunge. I would like to install a surround system in my medium sized finished living room (don't have the exact dimensions but I would estimate 13ft x 13ft). I plan to use it for 65% movies\tv and music for the rest. I like the idea of flush mounted speakers since they provide the least amount of visibility, and will prevent my two small kids from interfering with them.

I visited a few high end audio shops on the weekend and the first didn't ask me where or how I was going to do the install and showed me the totem and sonantz line of in walls. Another shop told me it would be really difficult to install in wall speakers in a finished living room and it may not be possible at all. They suggested on wall speakers instead (I heard the revel concerta and loved them although I have little to compare them to). My question is, how can I determine what installation options are available to me in my finished living room?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Sketty!

There are several sites and videos on the web to show installs of in wall speakers (e.g. Crutchfield has some information here, and there are videos on Audioholics and YouTube). Checking those out can give you an idea of the work that's involved and if you're comfortable doing it (or hiring someone to do it).

In wall speakers are a bit more difficult than on wall speakers because you need to cut into the drywall, and you'd definitely want to run the wires inside the wall (which would be more optional for on wall speakers). The wire routing through the walls would likely be the most difficult part, but people do it all the time. A couple of years ago, I installed wall plates for my speaker wires and was hesitant at first because it involved cutting into the drywall, but it turned out to be quite easy. I didn't have to route the wires very far, though.

One thing to check is if you could locate the speakers where you'd want them. I'd be comfortable placing them between studs, but I'm not sure if it's wise to cut a stud to place a speaker (I should check out those videos, myself :)).

Others here are much more knowledgeable about this, so I'm just getting the ball rolling.

S

Sketty55

Audiophyte
Thanks so much for the reply Adam. I guess I should have been more clear in what I was asking. I'm trying to figure out what is realistically possible for an installation. As my living room is finished, should I go upstairs and get in through the floor through there or is this not really possible as the second dealer suggested to me. This guy also told me that in-ceiling surround speakers would not be as effective as on-wall or in-wallspeakers (where you can position them exactly where they are meant to be placed). Is this true or is he just trying to tell me what is easier to install for him (if I am to hire him for the installation).

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
There's a trade-off between on-wall and in-wall. On wall speakers can be installed and repositioned more easily. They have to be designed carefully, however, so they will sound good.

The potential problems with on-wall speakers it that they are shallow which leaves less room inside for damping behind the drivers. It's possible for some frequencies inside the box to resonate back out through the drivers. Of course, on-wall speakers won't have enough volume to produce lower frequencies. That will probably minimize any resonance problem.

Another issue with on-wall speakers has to do with a tricky frequency response in the range where the midwoofers transition from what would be an omnidirectional radiation pattern in a free standing speaker to a more direct radiation pattern. Frequencies where the sound waves are bigger than the baffle get reinforced by bouncing off the wall. Above that frequency, they bounce off the baffle. That transition has to be handled carefully and is difficult to deal with in a crossover.

If I were considering on-wall speakers, I would listen carefully to dialog and vocal music through them. The frequencies that could be a problem are right in that range. An in-wall speaker behaves like an infinite baffle and isn't susceptible to those problems.

Also, given that on-wall speakers probably won't put out a lot of low bass, one or two good quality subwoofers are needed. If you have to cross over to the sub at a higher frequency like 120 Hz, the sub is more likely to be localized. Some bass frequencies may sound like they are coming from the wrong place. The issue isn't that 120 Hz frequencies themselves are localizable but that there will be higher frequency overtones that are - aka harmonic distortion. A better sub should have lower amounts of harmonic distortion.

I wouldn't really recommend in-ceiling surrounds if you can avoid it. The surround channels should be slightly above and to the sides of the listening position in a 5.1 setup. In-ceiling speakers will be a bit too high.

All my advice depends on how picky you are. I think free standing speakers are easier to deal with and easier to design. Therefore you can get better quality for less money.

Jim

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis