Surround Sound and High-Fidelity Speaker System Set-up. Is it possible? How?

P

popnbrown

Audiophyte
So I've been going back and forth considering whether I want surround sound or a high-end speaker system, and I want to see if I can make it both possible. I enjoy movies and music quite a bit, so I want to be able to see how I can build both systems. I plan on buying the surround sound system first, and in a few months (after I finish fully setting up my place) look to get hi-fi speakers. As far as I can tell, here are my options:

Option 1 - Make them completely separate systems. Buy 2 receivers and let them run on their own.

Option 2 - Buy a multi-room receiver and power the hi-fi speakers as the "Zone 2" system.

Option 1 is pretty straight forward.

Option 2 complicates things. Will I be able to find a multi-room home theater receiver that will work well for a hi-fi system? Especially if the hi-fi speakers are on "Zone 2"? Lastly, any recommendations for receivers if Option 2 is plausible. The extra features like Wi-fi and ethernet straight to the receiver and 3D capability are cool, but I'm willing to let those go for audio quality.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
It is possible to have both in one system, depending on what one wants for speakers and the space one has to put it in. And it is cheaper that way, both in terms of equipment and in terms of the home to put it in (as two rooms cost more than one), so it is what most people should probably plan on doing.

I personally have a separate main two channel system and home theater system, but my home theater is far better than most people's main stereo. And I don't want a home theater in my living room, though I do want a good sound system there. So for me, having two separate systems makes sense. However, one can do it with one system, depending on what one selects for one's speakers.

So, what speakers do you have in mind for your "high-end speaker system?"

And do you want all of your audio in one room, or do you plan on having a system for a home theater in one room, and listen to music in another room as well?

P

popnbrown

Audiophyte
The problem with having a high-end surround system is that my room layout is weird. I'm technically gonna have both speakers in the same room, just at separate locations. It's a loft so the living/kitchen/dining area is one giant space.

I was planning on surrounding the couch/TV area with a 5.1 surround sound, so that those speakers will be calibrated only to the couch. Then I was going to place the high-end speakers so that they target the more general area of the room.

I think there is an option 3 here, and that's to get a set of really good front speakers and just play things in Stereo mode. Would that work?

I haven't really delved deep into what high-end speakers to get, because I don't think I'll get them now. I just want to plan for being able to get them. I think I'm going to be putting in quite a bit of money, and it's probably better to slowly build up the system rather than hitting it all at once.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I think there is an option 3 here, and that's to get a set of really good front speakers and just play things in Stereo mode. Would that work?
It depends on where you will be relative to the speakers when you are listening to them. But yes, it can work, and was the idea I suggested in possibly having just one system. One then spends the total budget on that one system instead of on two systems.

P

popnbrown

Audiophyte
The way the room is set-up the TV is in a corner pointing towards the rest of the room. So it may work out so I can set-up front speakers pointing at the same angle towards the rest of the room.

So I was suggested this receiver, and reading through it. NAD T 748V2 7.1-channel home theater receiver at Crutchfield.com This may work out.

Would you suggest going with any 5.1 system now, and then switching to a good set of front left/right speakers? Brands/etc might be mismatched. I just think it'd be difficult to get a 3.1 and 2 separate floor standing speakers...unless I jump to a 7.1 but the room isn't big enough for that.

I still don't think I'm going to put out a ton of money for hi-fi speakers just yet. So I might go with some Klipsch for now - Klipsch Icon Dual 8" 2Way Floor Speaker Each KF-28 - Best Buy

P

popnbrown

Audiophyte
So the TV will be in a corner facing the rest of the room. Unfortunately the TV will be in the way, but if there's enough gap, it might be ok to put some floor standing speakers there?

I still don't want to spend a lot on speakers just yet, I'm thinking of picking these up Klipsch HD Theater 600 5.1Channel Home Theater Speaker System with Powered Subwoofer HDT-600 - Best Buy and Klipsch Icon Dual 8" 2Way Floor Speaker Each KF-28 - Best Buy.

And probably receiver Onkyo TX-NR717 7.2-channel home theater receiver, Internet-ready at Crutchfield.com

Would it make a difference if I have a different brand for front speakers when I do decide to upgrade? with these klipsch I might not upgrade till mid-next year, I think I'd rather make a record player purchase.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am not quite sure what the words Hi-Fi are - however, I like detail, definition and depth.

Have you listened to those speakers yet?
Also, while you are waiting to build a special music system >> I would still want something that
is good for both movies and music at the same time - if a speaker is weak with music, I fire them.

I would not over spend on a receiver.

P

popnbrown

Audiophyte
I went to best buy and listened to a klipsch set-up. Pretty sure it included not the 5.1 but did include the floor standing set. They had a different set of Klipsch speakers for the center and satellites. They sounded really good, unfortunately the set-up wasn't the best, but they still sounded really good. The entire set is about $500, and the floor standing speakers themselves are pretty good, so I think they're at a decent price, and good enough to keep me at bay before putting together a better system.

Is the Onkyo too expensive?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I went to best buy and listened to a klipsch set-up. Pretty sure it included not the 5.1 but did include the floor standing set. They had a different set of Klipsch speakers for the center and satellites. They sounded really good, unfortunately the set-up wasn't the best, but they still sounded really good. The entire set is about $500, and the floor standing speakers themselves are pretty good, so I think they're at a decent price, and good enough to keep me at bay before putting together a better system.
Is the Onkyo too expensive?
As long as you have heard the Klipsch and you like them - then that is cool.
If you can get the Onkyo for under $500 - then that is a good price.

P

popnbrown

Audiophyte
What are the differences between the 727 and the 717 other than 110 W channels vs. 125 W channels?

So the room is 19 x 17, but also has the kitchen adjoined which is like another 8 x 17. So basically trying to fill a 27 x 17 space. The surround sound will only be filling maybe a third of the space. The other speakers (the towers) would need to be able to support the entire area, at least 19x17.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
727 is the newer model and has the same power(110 watts) as the 717 (Audyssey 2EQ) with a little more features thrown in like Audyssey MultEQ. You should be fine in that space with what I suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis