surround setup like this?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

I see that denon (3 series and up) has 3 pairs of surrounds rather than the standard 2 ... comments or opinions on this type of setup? (an extra pair of surrounds in between the rear and side surrounds)

what if I have a an extra pair of speakers and amp, should I just double the side surrounds using a Y connector? pros and cons?

A

angstadt530

Audioholic
I'm not too sure how much of a difference that would actually make, but if you have the extra components, there's certainly no harm in giving what you suggested a try.

I'm not sure why the Denon display is showing what it is; I've heard of a few 9.1 processors out there, but since no sources are encoded for it (and probably won't be for a very long time), that technology seems like a waste of money to me.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
The extra channels you're seeing are meant to be used for m/c music. Denon allows the user to set up the system appropriately according to the sound processing being used.

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic

I'm testing out a 9.3 surround set-up right now, (actually, I'm using 10 speakers: 2 centers patched into my pre-out with a y connector) just to see what it sounds like. I have the extra speakers, extra amp and a 5805 receiver, so why not play around with it? The upshot is that angstadt530 pretty much nails it when he says he doubts it makes a difference but there's no harm in trying. I've tried different speaker configs and arrangements all over the room, and honestly, it all sounds good in different ways. Does it sound better than a properly set-up 5.1/7.1 system? Nope. Doesn't sound worse either. So if you do have the extra gear, time, curiosity and have absolutely no life, :) I say go for it!

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
More speakers behind you? Sheesh we need more on the sides and the front, as well as above and below the listener.

We should really shoot for 18.4 surround.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
The extra channels you're seeing are meant to be used for m/c music. Denon allows the user to set up the system appropriately according to the sound processing being used.
what's m/c? so you mean only one of those pairs are working depending on the DSP?

EDIT: m/c =multichannel

Last edited:
AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
This is the setup screen for the surround options on the 3806. Speaker B option will only work using the internal amps since there is no Sp. B pre-out. If you want to double up the side surrounds there won’t be any problem using a Y-adapter.

Attachments

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks AVRat, what's our opinion on doubling up the side surrounds? (in my case it will definitely be a WYED amp)

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I think starmax summed it up pretty well. The other factor that lingers in my mind, is that if it made a difference, why aren't more people doing it?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I'm testing out a 9.3 surround set-up right now, (actually, I'm using 10 speakers: 2 centers patched into my pre-out with a y connector) just to see what it sounds like. I have the extra speakers, extra amp and a 5805 receiver, so why not play around with it? The upshot is that angstadt530 pretty much nails it when he says he doubts it makes a difference but there's no harm in trying. I've tried different speaker configs and arrangements all over the room, and honestly, it all sounds good in different ways. Does it sound better than a properly set-up 5.1/7.1 system? Nope. Doesn't sound worse either. So if you do have the extra gear, time, curiosity and have absolutely no life, :) I say go for it!
I think starmax summed it up pretty well. The other factor that lingers in my mind, is that if it made a difference, why aren't more people doing it?
somehow I missed starmax mentioning he had the 5805 ... I guess I will have to experiment when all's up and running.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
The Surround B option allows you to have a 7.1 setup with Bi/Di-pole surrounds for movies and a second set of Monopole surrounds for(as AVRat said) 5.1 channel music like SACD, DVD-Audio, etc.

The reason is that movie soundtracks call for the rears to try and re-create an array of speakers by diffusing or spreading the sound across the rear stage, hence the use of Bi/Di-pole's. 5.1 music, on the other hand, is mixed and supposed to be played back using monopole style speakers with more directionality. IIRC the best 5.1 music setup is supposed to be 5 identical speakers.

cheers:)

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
Too many speakers spoil the broth

Ok, after fooling around with 9 speakers for over a month trying to give it every benefit of a doubt, I changed back to a 7.3 set-up. I'm convinced this gives me cleaner and more dynamic sound than a 9 or 5 speaker config. It's possible I could have tweaked and repositioned the 9 speakers more to find some small nugget of sonic improvement, but I felt whatever benefits it might yield just wasn't worth it. But hey, I had fun playing with my toys, so I would encourage anyone to give it a shot to see what happens.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Thanx starmax, I had also considered a 10 channel setup but have decided against it and your input helps.

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
size matters

I'm sure room size makes a difference...my space is relatively small, 16x15x10 (yeah, I know, the acoustic square of death), and there just wasn't enough room to space my speakers properly(all polk towers: rti12's, rti8's & lsi15's). If I had twice the space to work with, who knows what sort of musical magic might have been created with all nine speakers?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Ok that's it...I am putting all my gear in the closet and going back to just using the speaker in my TV!

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
LOL well the EMPIRE has 44 surrounds!:D I wonder why that is!

I can spend out far less money and yet install few extra decoders on the surrounds or the (split-surrounds) and with the array of JBL Control 1 that are installed in the room present I could easily make the (right sidewall surround arrays) go towards the (right corner surround array) then on to the (centre back surround arrays) then over to the (left corner surround) then over to the (left sidewall surround arrays).

This might sound like rocket science, but it isn’t its real easy to accomplish.

This will be one of the next phases in the affordable surround development in my home cinema planning. I already have enough sidewall and rear wall surround arrays, just a few more on the sides and in the corners and few more on the ceiling.:p

I'm sure room size makes a difference...my space is relatively small, 16x15x10 (yeah, I know, the acoustic square of death), and there just wasn't enough room to space my speakers properly(all polk towers: rti12's, rti8's & lsi15's). If I had twice the space to work with, who knows what sort of musical magic might have been created with all nine speakers?
You have been looking at the whole perspective from the wrong angle mate. Its real easy to fill that room with required amount plus a little re-shaping of the room from one dimension that you’re not looking at closely enough.

That room is all most cinema size of the smallest type that I’ve seen in the UK at London Empire screen #3 upstairs! Now then!

Last edited:
Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
LOL well the EMPIRE has 44 surrounds!:D I wonder why that is!

I can spend out far less money and yet install few extra decoders on the surrounds or the (split-surrounds) and with the array of JBL Control 1 that are installed in the room present I could easily make the (right sidewall surround arrays) go towards the (right corner surround array) then on to the (centre back surround arrays) then over to the (left corner surround) then over to the (left sidewall surround arrays).

This might sound like rocket science, but it isn’t its real easy to accomplish.

This will be one of the next phases in the affordable surround development in my home cinema planning. I already have enough sidewall and rear wall surround arrays, just a few more on the sides and in the corners and few more on the ceiling.:p

You have been looking at the whole perspective from the wrong angle mate. Its real easy to fill that room with required amount plus a little re-shaping of the room from one dimension that you’re not looking at closely enough.

That room is all most cinema size of the smallest type that I’ve seen in the UK at London Empire screen #3 upstairs! Now then!
Could you please rephrase? I don't follow what you're saying.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Well you’ve seen what professional cinemas look like yes? They come in many sizes and shapes and I’ve seen at least over 22 different size auditoriums over the years and what I’m saying just reconfigure one side of the room with a (stud wall).

You said it was too square looking sounds like you’re disappointed by its shape and size.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis