Surround Selection Dilemma

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Here's my problem. I have an HTR-5790, 2 Athena ASF2 main fronts set to large, an Athena ASC-1 and an MTX SW2 (set to 60 Hz crossover) and a SACD capable CD Player. My system is used for 50/50 music/movies. I need to add two surrounds to get to 5.1. I really want to use the Axiom M3Ti's but I think they are too big. One of the surrounds needs to be on a wall and offer enough clearance for someone to walk under it, and I think the M3's are going to be too bulky. I guess the M2Ti's would be an option or possibly the Axiom QS-4's which have a great shape for this application. I know they are a multi-pole speaker, but I have heard from several sources that they perform well with music. Not much base range though, and the SW2 isn't a music sub so I don't want to pull up the crossover. Maybe the Athena fronts can handle the musical bass well enough. The room is 25'x15', with 8' ceilings. The subs will be accross from each other seperated by about 15', and a little more than 1/2 of the way (maybe 14-15 feet from the fronts) along the 25' walls. The couch will be centered between them. I'd really like to hear some other opinions, and I'd like to stay $400 or under for this addition.

Thanks,

Mike

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
As long as you're sitting a good distance from the surround speakers, then your set up should work fine. There is a problem, which I have experienced, of getting the effect of having monopole surround speakers sounding like two open windows, i.e. the surround sound is non-immersive. It's always better to position surround speakers in a reverberant part of the room, as this will heighten the surround effect.

Non full-range surround speakers should be okay for most music, as long as they are being used for ambience. As for the subwoofer, unless you have acoustical treatment (basstraps), I'd suggest sending all the bass to the main speakers, or use as low a crossover as possible. There are some films that make use of full-range rear channels, eg. Saving Private Ryan, so ideally you'd want full-range rears. The more efficient (bass-capable) your speakers are, the less work the subwoofer will have to do. You should also get smoother bass response throughout the room.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Thanks. I can set the X-over as low as 40 I believe, so I'll give that a try--No bass traps. The closest listening position to the surrounds is about 3 ft in and 6-7 feet high. Too close for directs? And do you have any surrounds you would choose in a situation like this?

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
I'd suggest getting speakers made by the manufacturer of your front speakers, as this should keep the sound balanced tonally. You can probably get very good results using speakers made by another manufacturer. Recently I read a review for a M&K 5.1 system where the front speakers and subwoofer were highly recommended but the rear speakers less so. Speakers with excellent dispersivity are preferable for surrounds. Tannoy, with their 'dual concentric' and Kef with their 'Uni-Q' designs have good dispersivity.

www.homecinemachoice.com is a good source for reviews.

I probably wrong in saying that you should set the crossover to the lowest setting. 60 Hz sounds like a sensible setting. It's probably better to review the specifications of your main speakers and the set the crossover accordingly. It is sometimes a problem getting good, even bass response below 50 Hz without acoustical treatment.

It's difficult to say whether or not you could get away using monopoles. According to Denon, monopoles are recommended for surround music. THX, who specify dipole surrounds, have apparently tried to make their systems more suited for music. I don't have any experience with dipoles, so it might be worth having a demonstration to see if they sound any good. Some people dislike the out-of-phase 'ethereal' effect of dipoles.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Thanks tbwick. I located a Klipsch dealer locally and am going to audition the RB-15's on Monday. I'd love to get additional Athena surrounds, but they are not stocked locally and the bookshelves are too large. The RB-15's have a lower profile and will prevent headbumps (hopefully :) ). The dealer does a lot of custom work and also sells B and W. I talked to him for a bit yesterday and he said given the budget and size constraints this is probably a good fit. But I'm going to look at the RS-25 indirects as well while I am there. But at $189.00 each, I'd probably be better off with the Axiom qs-4'S for $400 if I decide to go that route.

Mike

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis