Surround Headphones!

B

battery

Audiophyte
I'm looking for a good pair of surround headphones (that don't cost a fortune)
I wear glasses and I plan on picking up a 120hz monitor for 3d gaming so I'll be wearing a pair of Nvidia 3d shutter glasses over mine, so the headphones have to fit over the two pairs of glasses..

To summarize, I want a good surround headset that can fit over my glasses.
Any recommendations?

Thanks!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I'm looking for a good pair of surround headphones (that don't cost a fortune)
I wear glasses and I plan on picking up a 120hz monitor for 3d gaming so I'll be wearing a pair of Nvidia 3d shutter glasses over mine, so the headphones have to fit over the two pairs of glasses..

To summarize, I want a good surround headset that can fit over my glasses.
Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Wearing glasses tend to be problematic when wearing full sized headphones and can cause comfort problems. Wearing two pairs will make this worse.

Surround headphones are not a necessity either. A quality pair of full-sized headphones would be excellent for 3d gaming. The Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and ATH AD900 have excellent positioning and soundstage abilities. I can't guarantee anything about comfort when wearing 2 pair of glasses.

If you can find a store that carries a wide variety of headphones that you can try on with these glasses would be ideal. If you can't find anything that is comfortable, moving to a pair of in-ear style might be the way to go.

B

battery

Audiophyte
Sorry for the delay!

I've been doing a bit of reading and that seems to be the general consensus - that surround headsets are nowhere near as good as similarly priced stereo headsets.

Chances are I'll be grabbing a pair of ath-ad700's over the holidays as they come highly recommended. I'd be using them primarily with my laptop, buy they'll also be used on my desktop that's got a sound blaster audigy card in it (24 bit) - Would I be doing these headphones justice or should I stick with my $30 sony cans?

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry for the delay!

I've been doing a bit of reading and that seems to be the general consensus - that surround headsets are nowhere near as good as similarly priced stereo headsets.

Chances are I'll be grabbing a pair of ath-ad700's over the holidays as they come highly recommended. I'd be using them primarily with my laptop, buy they'll also be used on my desktop that's got a sound blaster audigy card in it (24 bit) - Would I be doing these headphones justice or should I stick with my $30 sony cans?
The ATH-AD700 are very easy headphones to power. Any portable device such as an MP3 player or even computers have no problems with these headphones. These headphones are suited for such applications and will do them justice. No amp is needed. These would be a big improvement over your $30 sony headphones. This is what they look like (note the purple color if that is a turn off for you).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis