Surround Formats, Front Wides along with height speakers

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Ok, so I added a set of Klipsch KT-DS THX speakers as front wides to my current setup which is as follows.

Marantz SR7009 AVR
Klipsch RF-82 mains
Klipsch KT-DS THX
configured as front wide installed about 4 feet ahead of the mains right next to the walls (each movie has to be tested to see how it will sound with either format.
Klipsch RS-52's, 3 of them, 2 configured as surround and one configured as center back surround (I had three available so made use of them)
Also for subs, 2 AV123 MFW15's using Seaton sound ICE amplifiers

What I would like to do, is add 2 RP-140SA's as front height speakers, but not placed on top of the mains, instead installed as actual height speakers mounted on the wall facing forward, in my room with the ceiling fan no way they would work well on top of the mains plus the room isn't that big.

I would also like to add two rear height speakers, I believe I would have to assign them, remove the center rear back surround, place the RS52's as two rear back surrounds, purchase 2 more RS52's as rear surrounds and 2 RP-140SA's for rear height channels which would mean the purchase of an additional 2ch amplifier like the Marantz MM-7025 to handle the 2 extra channels.

Having heard the wide channels in play I can only imagine what it would sound like with Atmos or other similar format knowing I would lose the front wides in that mode but I would have most formats covered.

Aside from calling me crazy for trying full on 11.2, thoughts?

S

Shai

Audiophyte
I just got a pair of the KT DS, and I've got em in the surround spots. I know you're supposed to follow the THX stuff to a T, but I broke the rules and had them firing a bit more towards the listening position and liked it. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and position them in the "front of room this way, back of room that way" instructions...seemed like there was little to nothing on the high end like that at all. But George says so...I'm gonna experiment a bit more

S

Shai

Audiophyte
I just got a pair of the KT DS, and I've got em in the surround spots. I know you're supposed to follow the THX stuff to a T, but I broke the rules and had them firing a bit more towards the listening position and liked it. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and position them in the "front of room this way, back of room that way" instructions...seemed like there was little to nothing on the high end like that at all. But George says so...I'm gonna experiment a bit more
I thought I saw someone talking about using these as surround backs? Would that be ok with the back facing so near the wall? I don't want to miss out on something; I want these used as best I can. Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis