Suprised with volume level of new amp

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I think you are right about the sensitivity of the amp. If this is the case where would doubling the watts show up? I am using balanced cables and the switch in the back is set to match.
One reason why you cannot make anything out of the volume level differences in this case of a preamp, as other factors are in play. One reason we harp on level matched comparisons is so important.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
You guys were right on the money. The Mcintosh runs at 2watts through the unbalanced cables and 4watts with the balanced cables. The Anthem was the reversed. I noticed that the anthem was louder when I switched to balanced cables.
Since the Anthem was louder with the balanced as was the McI, they acted as they should have and more power was used with both amps. This is how a balanced output works and nothing is reversed.

A

allEars

Junior Audioholic
Stop! Look into the D series instead. With the MX135 and MC402 on hand you are well qualified for a pair of Paradigm S8 or B&W 803D. They do recommend up to 500W for the D series but I am sure the 402 can do the job. Now this is assuming WAF is not an issue like it is for a lot of people in this hobby.
thanks, I think :)

WAF is not an issue, she is the one that pushed me towards the Mcintosh brand. She came with me to pickup the amp. Like guy here

J

jomark911

Audioholic Intern
Hehe , hi guys , i wonder why , all husbunds , have the same thoughts about their wives , around the world.
WAF is the same no matter where in the world.
Here in greece we have exactly the same problems like you have.:D

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
FWIW regarding the post about powering the 803D, I listened to those speakers powered by the McIntosh MA6600 Integraded Amplifier, which is rated at 200 Watts, and it was no problem at all. The speakers sounded absolutely fantastic. I saw the meters reach as high as 140 or so watts on only a couple of occasions at what I considered very healthy listening levels. I'm sure your MC402 would be excellent with those speakers...

A

allEars

Junior Audioholic
FWIW regarding the post about powering the 803D, I listened to those speakers powered by the McIntosh MA6600 Integraded Amplifier, which is rated at 200 Watts, and it was no problem at all. The speakers sounded absolutely fantastic. I saw the meters reach as high as 140 or so watts on only a couple of occasions at what I considered very healthy listening levels. I'm sure your MC402 would be excellent with those speakers...
I am keeping an eye for a set of B&Ws. If the price is right...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis