Superb Audiophile Downloads 2023

I

IanU

Audioholic Intern
Please post your findings here.
The music is a warm, somewhat mellow, traversal of familiar ballads given a distinctively new breath of life. As the liner notes say, it's a sound somewhere between a smile and a tear, a sound that touches your heart. It's passion with controlled emotion combining melancholy, tenderness, compassion and warmth. Just lovely.
review in Positive Feedback

'Listening to the studio master file 32/352.8. Sensational recording. Warm, intimate and dare I say it, sensual. ''
Joe Whip in Audiophilestyle

The emotional density with which Tony Overwater and Japanese pianist Atzko Kohashi deal with John Coltrane's compositions reveals how they have internalized the spirituality of his music
- Stereo.de (Germany)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
review in Positive Feedback

Joe Whip in Audiophilestyle

- Stereo.de (Germany)
'Listening to the studio master file 32/352.8. Sensational recording. Warm, intimate and dare I say it, sensual. ''

What's the use of recording at 32 bits and with a sampling rate of 352.8 KHz? First, the human ear cannot hear anything above 20 KHz. Also, where can you use a dynamic range of 192 dB? The CD format of 16 bit (96 dB dynamic range) with 44.1 KHz sampling rate is adequate. Nobody can hear the difference between the two provided both were carefully recorded.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds more like audiophoolery. Especially if Positive Feedback is involved.

I

IanU

Audioholic Intern

Hifi News and Records likes this album a lot:
Hires version here;Sound Liaison
Redbook CD here Carmen Gomes. bandcamp

Just when you thought you’d heard every possible take on the songbook of Robert Johnson, from true acoustic versions to Clapton’s electric tracks, up jumps singer Carmen Gomes with her own rendition. The legendary bluesman died aged just 27 in 1938, amidst all those ‘sold his soul to the devil’ legends, and left a catalogue of just 29 songs, so you could argue there’s nothing new to hear. However, Gomes gives her selected tracks an atmospheric, mystical spin, with minimal backing, a simple mic set-up, in Sound Liaison style, and a ‘straight to DXD’ as-live recording approach. Her sultry voice has immediacy and intimacy, the instruments captured with real vitality, and the whole recording drips with presence and a sense of performance. I can imagine this one proving popular on the demo circuit if we ever get back to them – and that would be no bad thing. *AE https://www.hifinews.com/content/hi-res-downloads-february-2021

I

IanU

Audioholic Intern
And those small pieces leading into the songs are incredible;

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

Just when you thought you’d heard every possible take on the songbook of Robert Johnson, from true acoustic versions to Clapton’s electric tracks, up jumps singer Carmen Gomes with her own rendition. The legendary bluesman died aged just 27 in 1938, amidst all those ‘sold his soul to the devil’ legends, and left a catalogue of just 29 songs, so you could argue there’s nothing new to hear. However, Gomes gives her selected tracks an atmospheric, mystical spin, with minimal backing, a simple mic set-up, in Sound Liaison style, and a ‘straight to DXD’ as-live recording approach. Her sultry voice has immediacy and intimacy, the instruments captured with real vitality, and the whole recording drips with presence and a sense of performance. I can imagine this one proving popular on the demo circuit if we ever get back to them – and that would be no bad thing. *AE https://www.hifinews.com/content/hi-res-downloads-february-2021
Anything by Carmen Gomes is good in my book. Carmen Gomes sings the Blues is one of my fav's.

I

IanU

Audioholic Intern
Last edited:
I

IanU

Audioholic Intern

The 2nd release in the discovering the music of Robert Johnson series is here and it is fantastic. In my humble opinion it even surpasses Up jumped The Devil.
But RedBook Cd only, I don't see it on the Sound Liaison or Native DSD sites.

Fuego

Fuego

Enthusiast
The high res studio-master of this incredible album is finally here and the sound is even better than the CD (listening in 352).

Fantastic album, music and sound comes together and create real art. I predict this album will become a modern classic .
With 'Stones in My Passway' Carmen Gomes Inc. embarks on a remarkable journey through the corridors of time. Paying homage to the legendary blues musician, composer, and founding father of the fatal 27 Club, Robert Johnson, their album transcends the boundaries of traditional recordings, offering a mesmerizing sonic road movie experience.
'Stones in My Passway' effortlessly transports you, each track being a gateway, to a world where time and space intertwine with the rich tapestry of Johnson's life.
Imagine Robert Johnson walking alone late at night in the 1930s United States of America, en route to his sad demise in Greenwood, Mississippi. As he walks, he reflects upon his life, accompanied by the sounds of the night and the echoes of his memories.
The small innovative soundscape vignettes, encompassing each song, weave a cinematic narrative to the unique road movie concept, further enhancing the emotional connection and depth of the musical experience.
It's an immersive and evocative concept album showcasing the power of artistic vision and technical innovation, and a deep reverence for the timeless beauty of Robert Johnson's music.
Renowned for his expertise and innovative approach, Frans brings a cinematic dimension to the recordings, solidifying his status as an industry trailblazer. His groundbreaking "one mic+" technique, utilizing the central Josephson C700S microphone alongside additional Josephson C700A, C617 and C715 microphones, creates a balanced and immersive soundstage.

I

IanU

Audioholic Intern

"The music is a warm, mellow, familiar ballads given a distinctively new breath of life. It's passion with controlled emotion combining melancholy, tenderness, compassion and warmth. Just lovely"
- Positive Feedback

'Listening to the studio master file 32/352.8. Sensational recording. Warm, intimate and dare I say it, sensual. '' Joe Whip in Audiophilestyle USA

“The emotional density … the spirituality …. impressive.” Stereo.de
My favorite is "Growing Up" but I do understand the nominations of the other 2 albums.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis