Super beginner here!

D

DustInTheWind

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, Jack here.

So here's the story. I'm completely new to speakers. I have a pair of sennheiser 598's that I used to run on an asus xonar essence st, but these day's I've got them on my laptop. :(

Anyway, I'm looking to drop around $1300 on a system. I'm fine with starting off with a simple 2.1, quality is more important to me right now, and I can always add more channels down the line.

The only things I've been looking at in depth are the klipsch rf-52's and the klipsch rw-12 (Which is on sale for $300 on newegg, and I have a number of newegg giftcards I could use.). I've also seen the fluance xl7f.

I don't really know! I need your guys' advice!

The room is 11' by 14'6".However, I'd like to get something I can put in a larger room in the future.

I listen to pretty much everything music wise. From Mendelssohn to Journey and Tech N9ne.

Music to gaming to movie ratio: 60:30:10

Audio source will be FLACs on my laptop.

Thank you for any advice you guys have, and for reading! :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
First of all, I don't think you will need tower speakers when you get a good sub. Tower speakers biggest advantage over bookshelf speakers is deeper bass extension, but if you are using a subwoofer, you won't be taking advantage of the tower's deeper extension if you set everything up correctly. Let the subwoofer handle the bass.

Klipsch is a love it or hate it brand, I would really give them a listen to first before you make that purchase. They have great dynamic range, but their treble is sizzling hot. It is a bit much for some people. I like em, but I can see why some don't. I have noticed the passive Behringer Truth monitors are cheap at the moment, you might take a look at the Behringer 2030p and 2031p. They won't have as much slam as the Klipsch, but they will be a hell of a lot more neutral. I think they would be more than enough for your room size. They are excellent performers for that price. The 2031p is a harder load on amplifiers, but it has relatively deep and powerful bass for a bookshelf speaker, and you could use those without a sub easily if you aren't a bass head. The 2030p is much easier to drive, but is going to need a subwoofer. Another highly regarded speaker is the Cambridge S30, I don't think it would be appropriate for a large room but will handle your room easily. Some other speakers in the same general price range with a good reputation are the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170, Hsu Research HB-1 mk2, Arx A1b Monitor, and HTD Level Three Bookshelf speakers.

As for subs, if you listen to Tech N9ne, I take it you like hard hitting bass? If so, I wouldn't get anything less than a Hsu VTF2, which at the moment is just shy of $600 shipped. It will have better sound quality than the Klipsch sub and much deeper bass too. That will give you a lot of bass right off the bat and put in good shape for the future if you ever wanted more. The Klipsch RW-12d is commonly recommended for those with large rooms and modest budgets because of its output, but I doubt it will have the articulation of the Hsu. You can also get the VTF2 in a package with the Hsu HB-1 speakers for a small discount, those are good speakers.

For a receiver, check out the Denon AVR-1713 (newegg has the best price), it has Audyssey room correction, which is a very nice feature, and give you a easy path to 7.1 if you ever wanted to upgrade. Whatever receiver you decide to get, remember to run the room correction setup, it can improve the overall sound greatly. I think a lot of people new to home theater neglect this feature. If you just don't have any intention of going to surround sound, check out the Harman Kardon 3490 stereo receiver, it is a simpler receiver but it has a powerful amplifier that can handle harder loads, you can get a refurbished one here for $300 or a new one here for $425. Anyway, that Denon or H/K receiver, the Hsu sub, and any combination of those speakers will get you to roughly $1300 shipped, and any of them would sound great. It's smart to go 2.1 with your budget, you will get a much better sound than diluting the overall quality for a surround sound system. It's also nice to see you have a broad taste in music, and I think any one of these setups will handle almost anything with aplomb.

D

DustInTheWind

Audiophyte
Wow! Thanks for all the advice! I think this will really help me get on the right track.

Just a few things:

1: Is it a good idea to spend so much less on the satellites? I'm really new so I don't really know, but at least in the pc building world(one which I am very familiar with) it's never good to have bottlenecks.
2: I'm on carpet, and the room is in the basement, just thought I should mention.
3: Just want a couple more opinions, though your comment was super informative, and I learned a ton. I want to make sure I get more than one opinion!
Thank you!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
1: Is it a good idea to spend so much less on the satellites? I'm really new so I don't really know, but at least in the pc building world(one which I am very familiar with) it's never good to have bottlenecks.
2: I'm on carpet, and the room is in the basement, just thought I should mention.
3: Just want a couple more opinions, though your comment was super informative, and I learned a ton. I want to make sure I get more than one opinion!
Thank you!
Nothing wrong with having carpet - it is a good thing

I pretty much agree with post #2 - And good bookshelf speakers, can do
a nice job.

I am not a real Klipsch fan for music - I would also skip the Klipsch sub

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
When we say satellites, around here we usually mean those very small speakers, with 3" woofers, like those small Bose cubes. What I am talking about up there is bookshelf speakers. With respect to the division of budget, you will find dissenting opinions here, but I proposed around $300 for bookshelf speakers for a few reasons. A: There are a bunch of great bookshelf speakers for about that price, B: the bookshelf speakers only have to do upper bass through treble, physically speaking this is much easier to do than moving the kind of air subwoofers have to push, so more should be allocated to the subwoofer for an even sound, C: in my opinion, there are diminishing returns once you get past a certain level of measured performance. The speakers I have mentioned hit those metrics. There are better speakers, of course, but the costs rapidly climb for noticeable improvements.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Another thing I will mention is you may be able to skip the receiver altogether. Some self-powered monitors like these JBL LSR2328p and the Hsu VTF2 will get you a massive and very high quality sound and be 1300 shipped. You would need some decent sound jacks on your laptop, so you may need to add a audio interface. You can get a decent two channel audio interface cheaply though, like $60 or 70. The catch is it would slightly complicate any upgrade path to surround sound, but it wouldn't be that bad. Some other good looking active monitors are the Rokit 8, the Yamaha HS80M, the M-Audio BX8 D2, the Mackie MR6 mk2, and the Behringer Truth B2031A and B3031A. If you have a Guitar Center or Sam Ash or any other kind of pro-audio place around you, you may be able to hear some and compare them. The ones that most have my own interest are the JBL LSRs. Getting an active monitor setup going like this would be easy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis