mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
Ummmmmmm..OK:confused:
.....Ninja, a guy sent me the link to that site, and I thought it might be a good outlet for SACD's....did I blow it?.....did yours show up in Hebrew?......

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well maybe if you said why you were posting that site it would help. Just posting something and hoping other people are going to divine your intentions? (are you trying to show me a new release? somewhere to buy SACD? You just found-out about SACD and wanted to inform the world?)

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
Well maybe if you said why you were posting that site it would help. Just posting something and hoping other people are going to divine your intentions? (are you trying to show me a new release? somewhere to buy SACD? You just found-out about SACD and wanted to inform the world?)
.....Ninja, I appreciate your pointing that out, and I'll go change the thing, Buddy.....

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Mule!

I never knew Zabrahead made a SACD.

If more bands took after them, I might just get a player.

SheepStar

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Sheep said:
Thanks Mule!

I never knew Zabrahead made a SACD.

If more bands took after them, I might just get a player.

SheepStar
.....SheepStar, I knew I was posting that link just for you, Buddy....

D

DavidA

Enthusiast
Having just become sacd capable via a Denon AV1/3910/Denonlink, I went looking for some sacds.

Neither Virgin or HMV in the UK had any idea what sacds they had in stock, and did not keep them in a separate display. You apparently have to know which releases you are looking for, and find them mixed in with all the rest of the stock.

Frustrating.

aspaceintime

aspaceintime

Audioholic
Not sure if they have this store over there, but Fry's Electronics has a vast selection of SACD & DVD-A in their own section. Some Best Buys have a dedicated section, some don't.

D

DavidA

Enthusiast
I actually live in Dubai, but used to live in San Diego, so I'm aware of all the great stores over there-Frys being one of them. We had a very poor branch of Tower records here for a while, but it closed down.

I'm currently trying to order some SACDs from Acoustic Sounds, but they take forever to answer emails.

H

hlesser

Audioholic Intern
Classical SACDs made easy

Check out this extraordinarily well organized site for your classical needs. There's a separate section for SACD & for DVD-A (note that there's essentially no classical content being released on DVD-A while SACD keeps steaming ahead). The web site is world-class and service is excellent. Pricing is nothing to shout about (though bargains are available from Naxos and Brilliant Classics). Shipping charges are reasonable. Overall a strong recommendation.

http://www.arkivmusc.com

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
hlesser said:
Check out this extraordinarily well organized site for your classical needs. There's a separate section for SACD & for DVD-A (note that there's essentially no classical content being released on DVD-A while SACD keeps steaming ahead). The web site is world-class and service is excellent. Pricing is nothing to shout about (though bargains are available from Naxos and Brilliant Classics). Shipping charges are reasonable. Overall a strong recommendation.

http://www.arkivmusc.com
For whatever reason that URL doesn't work, here's one that does: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/main.jsp

Someone also recently pointed me to http://www.sa-cd.net which is a good source (doesn't focus on a single label--there's a ton of good stuff on other labels like Verve, Telarc, etc).

BTW, I'm going to ignore Sony for a while considering their recent behavior. Yeah it doesn't hurt them much, but make me feel better (gonna stick it to the MAN! ;) ).

M

moverton

Audioholic
sacd sources

I find a lot of SACD's on Amazon. Thier search engine stinks for finding them but they do carry quite a few. usually i add "sacd" or "hybrid" to the search term to get them. they don't seem to show up in the normal artist list. Be careful of thier used reseller stuff. I have tried it a few times and gotten the normal CD version. I think the third party sellers mislist thier stock.
Amazon does usually have pretty good pricing though.

J

jeffvee

Audioholic
sacd availability

aspaceintime said:
Not sure if they have this store over there, but Fry's Electronics has a vast selection of SACD & DVD-A in their own section. Some Best Buys have a dedicated section, some don't.
Fry's has the largest selection of sacd's as well as' dvd-a's ,however it is mostly geared toward classical and jazz. They do have some rock and the like.
What I don't like about Fry's is the way they are displayed. You have to look at the top of each disc to see what it is and they aren't seperated alphabetically. That is very annoying to me. You literally have to sift through all the discs hoping you come across one you like.:mad:

Circuit City does not carry sacd's any more.

Best Buy used to have a section just for sacd's ,but has eliminated that section and they are now put in with the rest of them. They do have a section for DVD-A and music video's .

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
After having hunted around a little, it would appear that some titles are available in both SACD and DVD-A. Has anybody tried both, and if so, which would you recommend?

Cheers

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
I have several of each, and the sound quality on both is excellent, IMHO. Some on these forums prefer SACD to DVD-A, but I like the video features of DVD-A.

M

mitch57

Audioholic
I have over 230 albums in a mixture of DVD-A and multi-channel SACD. I like them both and I think it depends on the remix as to which sounds best. However, I think the DVD-A plays a bit louder at the same volume setting. But SACDs play just like a CD so you can select tracks by pushing the corresponding number on the remote to change tracks. Not so with DVD-A. Plus DVD-A won't start playing immediately. You have to press play several times to get it to switch from "Top Menu" and start playing the first track.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
mitch57 said:
Plus DVD-A won't start playing immediately. You have to press play several times to get it to switch from "Top Menu" and start playing the first track.
That might depend on your player or possibly the DVD-A since there seems to be no standard on their layout. I don't see that behavior at all on the DVD-A's I own. I can load a DVD-A or an SACD and just hit play.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis