Sunfire sds 12 vs SVS Sb 12 nsd vs klipsch r112sw?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Budget is max $500. Looking for a sub that can push as close to 110-115dB as possible into a 20x12 room at a distance of at least 3m. All three of the subs mentioned were found below street price on ebay so I'm willing to do some looking around for deals if someone has some other suggestions. Clean spl and good headroom are the most important factors above all else. I know I'm asking for a lot on such a tight budget but the only other option to achieve this would be to add two more dayton sub 1500s, as I'm pretty much maxed at 105dB with a single sub 1500.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The thing I see with the pa 150 is josh noted it's pretty limited below 30hz. This might be fine for YIOF(yepimonfire) but imo it's more of a lateral move, and 500 bucks could go a long ways somewhere else. I think he should save a little longer and buy a sub that will hit 20 at the levels he wants. Otherwise the next thread will be about finding more extension. Of the 3 listed, I like the NSD personally but I think the waiting game is smarter money.
Maybe not...

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I've already got 23 Hz at -3dB, so compared to just adding more sub 1500s this would be a step backwards for more money. I'm sure the pa 150 is a technically better sub, but other than a 5dB hump at the room mode (which would be an issue regardless of the sub) I'm pretty much +-3dB across the low end. I'm definitely not okay with 30hz. If 30hz was acceptable I might as well just use 3-4 smaller subs and get a more even response across the room. As long as I can get to 25hz, that's good enough for me.

While I agree and understand saving up an dropping a grand on a sub that will not only hit 20hz but will also hit the spl requirements listed above is the best idea, I would be sleeping on the couch if my wife discovered the cost.

I suppose I could diy a couple 15" HO subs, but I've got to find the time between working a ton and home life, I'm also somewhat mechanically challenged.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For 20 Hz at $500, I would be looking at the SVS PB1000. I don't think any other $500 sub can really do 20 Hz. If you can stretch your budget a bit, there is the Hsu VTF-2 mk5 and RBH I-12.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
For 20 Hz at $500, I would be looking at the SVS PB1000. I don't think any other $500 sub can really do 20 Hz. If you can stretch your budget a bit, there is the Hsu VTF-2 mk5 and RBH I-12.
Wouldn't i need several of those to get the desired spl?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You will get some kind of boost from room gain at 20 Hz, although I don't know how much. All I can say is that the PB1000 is the least expensive subwoofer I know of that is tuned to 20 Hz. You aren't going to be hitting 20 Hz at THX reference levels in a $500 budget, sorry to say.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis