Sukiyaki Western Django -- awesome!!!

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I just finished watching this amazing flick, and had to post something about it!

It's a western. But it's filmed in Japan, directed by a Japanese guy, and cast almost entirely with Japanese actors (plus Quentin Tarantino in a few short scenes). The dialogue is almost all English. And the dialogue itself is totally western: comments about being lily livered and the use of the word "reckon", etc. Coming out of these Japanese westerners, it's kinda unintentionally hilarious.

This flick, lemme tell ya, is one of the coolest, most intense, craziest and funniest westerns I've seen in a long time, maybe ever. The back story takes up a bit too much time, but everything else is great. There's incredible gun shooting, sword work and practical special effects. And the 5.1 is absolutely killer! Lots of directional sound cues that are very creatively and effectively done.

The story has lots of great characters. There's
a sheriff with a split personality, a middle-aged woman with a dangerous secret, a stranger with never-before-seen shooting prowess, and a woman who may have been driven mad by the death of someone close to her
. And lots of great dramatic moments too:
a child who witnesses certain things, the roses, the unspoken love between two people moments from their deaths

I do hope I haven't spoiled the flick for anyone with what I've said. I am trying to a little vague! But I'd love to hear others' comments on this movie. I'm still reeling from it -- especially the 5.1!

cheers,
supervij

EDIT: figured out how to block things with a SPOILER tag!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard widely mixed reviews on this one. So much so, that I haven't put it into my Netflix queue. It may make it there one day, but right now I am perusing the Oscar winners/nominees so it could be a while :D Doubt is coming tomorrow.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I ordered the Western and just about everything else I found in that 'Not Well Known' thread.
Sukiyaki better be something else ... :D

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Gulp! I hope so too, Alex. I've seen angry chimps before; it wasn't pretty. Something about hurling feces, if I remember correctly . . . :p

Well, it's got an 83% on the USER tomatometer with an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. People in general liked it more than the critics did, but I rarely pay attention to what critics say. I'd rather get the opinion of the average movie lover than anyone else. And the users of Rotten Tomatoes are generally more discerning than the users of IMDB.

Anyway, I loved it. Just wanted to spread the love; hopefully someone else will love it too. :)

cheers,
supervij

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry dude, I wanted to like this movie, I really did, but it was just plain weird.

The part where the guy tried to catch the sword and had it cut him in the forehead was hella funny though. The best part of the whole movie was when the leader of the gang that wore white did his bad-*** Noto. But that was about it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thist movie was supposed to be a remake of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, (or one of those spaghetti westerns) wasn't it?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
"This movie is stupid, Alex."
"We're 32 minutes into it."
"That's 32 minutes too long. I don't want to watch the other movie either."
(V for Vendetta) :rolleyes:

That's how it went.
I'm gonna forgive her her independent taste in movies because ... well, never mind that.
I'll watch them both later.

So we watched The Mentalist. There was a pretty cool Asian actor in there. :)

I.Canton

I.Canton

Audioholic Intern
I watched this movie about a month ago, and it was incredibly odd, but actually fairly decent. It wasn't the best movie I've seen, but it certainly gets points for creativity.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis