Suggestions on new receiver

D

daveld

Enthusiast
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V465 from about 3 years ago. My mains are Definitive Technology studio monitor 350's, center is pro cinema 1000, and sony sub and surrounds. I am looking to upgrade to a mid range receiver ($700 range) I use a Play Station 3 for my dvd player. I like the sound, however it's just not as powerful as I would like. Is this possible with my speakers? If so, what receiver do you suggest? Any comments are appreciated!

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
I would suggest replacing the Sony sub before the receiver. Something like the SVS PB1000 will be leaps and bound better.

D

daveld

Enthusiast
Appreciate the information! I looked at reviews and it sounds like a great sub. Will my entry level yamaha be able to push that SVS PB1000?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
pb1000 is an active sub - aka it has it's own amplifier - so your yamaha wont be "pushing", merely feeding it

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
How big is the room your system is currently in and how loud do you want to play it? Do you have a SPL meter that indicates how loud you are currently playing it?

D

daveld

Enthusiast
The living room is fairly small. We have a 50'' plasma and my mains are 2 feet on either side of tv. My viewing distance is 9 feet and hardwood floors. I turn my receiver up to -30db give or take and that seems fine.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The living room is fairly small. We have a 50'' plasma and my mains are 2 feet on either side of tv. My viewing distance is 9 feet and hardwood floors. I turn my receiver up to -30db give or take and that seems fine.
Sounds like you AVR is sized adequately for the room that its in. I would get a new as recommended by other posters.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Get a new sub

And, look for a Definitive C/L/R 2002 center channel on Ebay.

D

daveld

Enthusiast
This was my first post and I really appreciate everyone's input!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis