Suggestions for acoustic dampening

I

ifsixwasnin9

Junior Audioholic
I have a funky room with 7' ceiling. (I play my JBLs loud.) Wanted some opinions on acoustic panel placement.

The walls behind the speakers (A, B) and opposite wall are covered with R15 5" fiberglass insulation (because 1877 house is not insulated - decided to insulate the inside myself).

Could I place a panel on the ceiling between speakers and myself (since ceiling is so low and reflects quickly)? And on the adjacent 15' walls?

Attachments

Last edited:
D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
I would consider putting some RealTraps HF MiniTraps on the ceiling. That should help with the low ceiling. Put several of them side by side across the ceiling at the point of first reflection, which you can locate using a mirror. RealTraps have something called a post base rigid mounting kit, 4 per panel for ceiling mounts, which allows you to place the panels about 4" from the ceiling exactly in alignment, which you want if you want it to look right and to be the right distance away from the ceiling. The HF variety of panel assures that you'll have flat broad spectrum absorption out to 10 kHz. You could do something similar on the side walls using the same type of mounting kits but for walls instead of ceilings or you could mount the panels on stands instead. Either way the panels must be offset from the walls about 4" to be most effective.

I have a 7' ceiling and it sounded like the sound was coming from overhead. I installed three HF MiniTraps side by side across the front and one each angled out to the surround speakers. Now the sound is coming from speaker level and is much smoother. What an improvement!

G

GIK Acoustics

Audioholic Intern
Is there any specific reason you are situated as such? I would recommend putting your speakers against the 13' wall, with your seating position symmetric left to right in the room.

But to answer your exact question, yes. Panels at first reflection points on sidewalls and the ceiling will be beneficial. I would recommend somewhat thicker traps (around 5" thick) on the ceiling to address the height modes in the room while still covering your first reflection points.

You can use the mirror trick as explained above to find your reflection points. We detail this in our early reflections video here: Video Early or First Reflection Points - GIK AcousticsGIK Acoustics

S

starmaster

Audiophyte
The panels in my room are approximately 1 inch think made of some kind of foam, I'm pretty sure it is fiberglass because it did make me ichy somewhat after touching it lol.

Mine works really well and does make a difference indeed. I also made sure I used the thickest carpet I can find for the floor as well.

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
The panels in my room are approximately 1 inch think made of some kind of foam, I'm pretty sure it is fiberglass because it did make me ichy somewhat after touching it lol.

Mine works really well and does make a difference indeed. I also made sure I used the thickest carpet I can find for the floor as well.
If it's fiberglass then it can't be foam. Good thing too because foam is not a very effective acoustic treatment.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
Would eggshell type packing foam be any good...i've got some in the loft and i'm looking to do something about the end of my leather couch ...which i'm guessing is causing some issues
?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

G

GIK Acoustics

Audioholic Intern
Sorry could you elaborate a bit more? What exactly about the end of the couch is causing issues? And what type of issues would it be causing?

Packing foam is useful for packing/shipping. Packing foam is also typically not fire treated and typically lights ablaze instantly. I wouldn't recommend it on your wall unless it's been rated for that use and is tested for acoustic absorption. Otherwise its equally as useless and hazardous as blankets on a wall. (Though some blankets might not catch fire as fast as some packing foams)

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
uploadfromtaptalk1362471139894.jpg
When running test tones on receiver it almost sounds
Like there are 2 sources from this (rh)speaker,i'm presuming the leather couch is the cause .... The side/end of the couch is unseen from normal use

G

GIK Acoustics

Audioholic Intern
Ah that makes much more sense now.

Yes, the reflections in that small area could create a seemingly second source, but leather would only be reflective of high frequencies. Most lows would just pass through. You could absorb on the side of the couch, but IMO a better solution would be to simply move the couch back more if you could. A small end table could break up reflections easily - anything really that isn't a flat surface will scatter sound enough to prevent that late phantom source. If you were to treat the room, bass trapping and early reflections would likely make the biggest difference, not just absorbing the side of the couch.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
Unfortunately the couch is already tight against both wall's..

I Was considering building some accoustic panel's for behind the speakers and/or listening position but
Anything involving the side walls is a non starter.
As This is my wife's room as well ,any treatment may be a non-starter :-( .
I thought that the eggshell shaped foam may break up the reflection's to an extent,although i suspect the flat arm of the couch is the main culprit...i could relocate the subwoofer if you think that may help ?
there is an magazine rack behind the listening position which may be ideal as some sort of accoustic treatment

Last edited:
G

GIK Acoustics

Audioholic Intern
Panels behind the speakers would help with SBIR. I would definitely suggest panels on the back wall, especially if you can't get any in on the side. Foam could help on the side of the couch, but I'm still not too sure if it's the cause of the phenomenon you're encountering. You could try a simple thick comforter on the area just to ballpark if that is the source of the problem or not. If it is, then yes a small panel or foam could help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis