T

tomcDM

Audiophyte
I'm in need of a new powered subwoofer, I currently have a JVC sub 500. What would be a better replacement sub for my system?
My receiver is a Onkyo nr6100, front center is a Klipsch R34C, front sides are Klipsch F30's and the rears are Bose 10.2 towers. Thanks in advance!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How big is the room you are in? Is this purely HT or mixed usage?

T

tomcDM

Audiophyte
Sorry I forgot to put my room size. It's a open concept vaulted ceiling open concept living room, I know not the best circumstances. 18 x 24. My JVC sub shook the windows when watching movies. The room was emersed with good bass. I like watching movies loud. I also listen to music on this same system, not as frequently tho. All other TV watching is at normal levels. Budget is 500-600.00 bucks. Thank you!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You'll see a lot of advice that you should consider upping that budget. Not gonna lie, I would put value on a good subwoofer with infrasonic output.
Shaking windows can actually be a sign of distortion, not clean deep bass. I am not there to share my experience ;) so must rely on your own thoughts.

Probably the best bang for your buck would be Hsu Subwoofers. Other "favorites you will see recommended will be the usual bunch: SVS, Monolith (Monoprice), Rythmik... Even Klipsch is now putting out some good quality Subs.

...But in a room that size, you definitely want something large enough to help fill the space. Bass waves are very large and powerful, and the total open room volume will act on the subwoofer. Too small a Sub and you will need to turn it up louder than might be linear in good SQ and performance.

Regardless, I would say begin looking at the Hsu VTF2. I would recommend 2 of them, largely because you can place them more advantageously in your room to improve overall Bass quality, work against room modes, and improve output which will aid in keeping distortion down.

Other good option I think is one of the better performers will be the Monolith 12". I'd try to steer you to the 15, but that can be a hard sell, especially at the budget you have currently set.

Good quality Bass is a worthwhile investment! ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Absolutely agreed with Ryan. Literally any subwoofer would be an upgrade. I like the HSU in the budget range, and just a touch more expensive I really like the RSL 12s, and maybe a second when you can afford one.
Shaking windows isn’t really a useful metric. My guess is the JVC doesn’t do much below 35-40hz. Once you experience deep linear quality bass, you’ll never go back…

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't even find a JVC 500 sub, but I'd agree with Ryan and William in general. I'd also consider dual subs for the long term even if that is something you need to save up for the second...

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Agree with all the recommendations including starting with one and then adding a second if you can later. Review from this site was just posted on YouTube running 2 Paradigms for home theater. way above your price range but reinforces the idea of dual subs. FYI SVS has been running a sale with an additional discount off of a pair of their Subs. You can buy and try for 45 days and return free of charge if you’re not satisfied.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hsu VTF-2 mk5 is great for deep bass, but is a bit above your budget. If you want great bass within your budget and don't need the deepest bass, try a pair of Dayton SUB-1500s. Here is the review.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis