subwoofer upgrade from outlaw lfm1 plus - don't want to upgrade again after this

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
hey dudes i haven't been on here in a year or two but i'm in a sort of rut with my audio setup currently and want something new.
i'm looking for a wow factor that i've never really had before in my own place sitting at my own couch. i'm posting several questions in a few threads to make sure i'm not posting off topic.

since i've last posted i've owned and sold
-dual HSU vtf3 mk3 subs
-polk monitor 70 series ii and matching center / surrounds
-polk rt800 and matching center / surrounds

i currently have
-PSB Image 6T mains
-no center
-PSB image 1b surrounds
-outlaw lfm1 plus sub
-yamaha rxa-3000 avr

by far the best setup i've owned is the one i own currently but compared to what i've heard before it's lacking

my question is what subs should i consider to buy that would DESTROY the performance of the outlaw that i have now?

i have no clue why but my dual vtf3 mk3 subs didn't do what my outlaw does now but i still am looking for more output and greater mid bass slam to be felt during music and movies

the new hsu subs look really great but i really was not impressed with my dual vtf3 mk3 's so idk ... but the new ones may not even be comparable.

i don't want a passive sub so powered is definitely the way i would like to go and i'm not particularly handy so DIY is not a good option either

my budget is flexible nothing in the JL audio territory but most certainly enough to buy something a LOT better than what I have

thanks for any help fellas
justin / razzy

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
hey dudes i haven't been on here in a year or two but i'm in a sort of rut with my audio setup currently and want something new.
i'm looking for a wow factor that i've never really had before in my own place sitting at my own couch. i'm posting several questions in a few threads to make sure i'm not posting off topic.

since i've last posted i've owned and sold
-dual HSU vtf3 mk3 subs
-polk monitor 70 series ii and matching center / surrounds
-polk rt800 and matching center / surrounds

i currently have
-PSB Image 6T mains
-no center
-PSB image 1b surrounds
-outlaw lfm1 plus sub
-yamaha rxa-3000 avr

by far the best setup i've owned is the one i own currently but compared to what i've heard before it's lacking

my question is what subs should i consider to buy that would DESTROY the performance of the outlaw that i have now?

i have no clue why but my dual vtf3 mk3 subs didn't do what my outlaw does now but i still am looking for more output and greater mid bass slam to be felt during music and movies

the new hsu subs look really great but i really was not impressed with my dual vtf3 mk3 's so idk ... but the new ones may not even be comparable.

i don't want a passive sub so powered is definitely the way i would like to go and i'm not particularly handy so DIY is not a good option either

my budget is flexible nothing in the JL audio territory but most certainly enough to buy something a LOT better than what I have

thanks for any help fellas
justin / razzy

Do you have a budget? Do you have a preference between sealed and ported?

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
Do you have a budget? Do you have a preference between sealed and ported?
my budget is flexible and i have no issue purchasing used - i would think 2k is about the absolute max but with the used market you can get more sub for 2k than you can for new obviously

as far as sealed vs ported i really don't know - i've never owned any sealed sub that was at all noteworthy - just low end polk and klipsch which were both quite poor and the 2 best subs that i've had were the hsu vtf3.3 and outlaw lfm1 plus

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
PSA XS30 (sealed) or XV30., SVS PB13U, HSU VTF-15H, Rythmik FV15HP. The LFM-1EX is an older version of the VTF-3, so you'll have to move up the food chain a fair amount IMO to have a "I'm not upgrading from this" experience.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
A pair of Reaction Audio PV15X or pair of PSA VX15Se or maybe try the new Reaction Audio PS18X with the 4000 watt speaker power amp for around 2K plus the option of adding a passive slave unit down the road for another 1K.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I know what you mean by not liking the sound of your sub. A member from here owned one but not for long. I do like their processors and power amps. I don't know who the OEM for their subs is, but to me they're not up to par. I am looking for more output and greater mid bass slam to be felt during music and movies. Seems to me that it's a mixed bag about the performance of subs. I have mine crossed over at 60 and I don't think (or know if I am getting any mid bass slam out of them, it's coming from my mains) At this stage of my listening experience I finally have subs that don't sound like subs and are purely a seamless extension of the towers. I am not sure if that makes sense to everyone but for me it works.

R

razzy

Junior Audioholic
thanks for all the input guys - i have since purchased a HSU vtf15h locally from someone on AVS forum
it blows away what i've had before so i'm pretty happy :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis