subwoofer topics of discussion...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's been a little slow in here lately, so I will try to liven it up a bit by stating some irrefutable facts about subwoofers and bass reproduction as topics of discussion:
1: Sealed subwoofer designs are all bad without exception. Sealed subs do not reproduce bass with any accuracy at all.
2: Ribbon drivers should be used in subwoofers: why don't sub manufacturers do this? Are they afraid of showing the public what good bass sounds like? But the best driver topology for a subwoofer would be a plasma driver.
3: Polk has created the gold standard of subwoofer design and performance. This is not debatable.
4: Drivers over 6" are simply unsuited for recreating bass with any reasonable fidelity. An elephant can not outrun a rabbit, so why would you think a lumbering 15" cone can outrun a 5.25"? If you like slow, bloated bass, stick with your 10"+ drivers. I suspect those with sub cones larger than 8" are really compensating for other shortcomings in their manliness.
5: If you want truly good bass, the subwoofer cabinet enclosure must be shaped like the instrument it is intending to reproduce the sound thereof. Example, a bass violin can only be convincingly recreated by a sub cabinet that mimics the bass violin shape. A orchestral bass drum only sounds good when the sub playing it back is shaped like the drum. The reason for this is the acoustic emission of the cabinet resonance shapes the timbre in a way a single driver can not possibly capture; simple physics really. It is for this reason that my own bass setup features subs in many instrumental shapes to correctly playback any recording on a whim. Anything less demonstrates a total lack of care for music fidelity on behalf of the listener.

Feel free to discuss these facts and share them with your friends!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it April 1st already? Didn't we just had one?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
What a troll. You left out a few items.

1. Pro audio subs are better at reproducing the lowest tones than those marketed for home audio. They just are.

2. If you need to replace the driver in your Polk sub box, just any driver will be fine as long as the screw holes match up. If all you have is a car subwoofer, stuff it in. It'll sound better than ever!

3. Car subwoofers are pretty much the same as home subwoofers. The only difference is vendor markup.

4. Def Tech's product specifications list accurate frequency responses.

5. Computer speaker subwoofers are true subwoofers.

6. Sub placement is no big deal. Just put it wherever the spouse says it looks nice.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
What a troll. You left out a few items.

2. If you need to replace the driver in your Polk sub box, just any driver will be fine as long as the screw holes match up. If all you have is a car subwoofer, stuff it in. It'll sound better than ever!

You may have something here. :D

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
lol yeah, I was accidentally not facetious on that one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis