subwoofer selection help

J

jca93

Audiophyte
I've been lurking around this forum for a month or so since the wife and I decided to upgrade the HT when we move into our next house. Our short list is the Axiom EPS-500, SVS PB12-Plus/2, and the Definitive Technology Super Cube 1. I've seen good review on all of the above and more positive comments on the Axiom and SVS in multiple threads. I plan on using the speaker with 7 in ceiling speakers (def tech or rbh) with a 120-130 watt/ch receiver (either yami or denon). It'll be used approx 30% music (not critical listening) and 70% home theater. I'd appreciate y'alls feedback on the above speakers or a recommendation for one I might of overlooked in the $1200 price range. Thanks in advance.

jason

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three you have selected. Here's how I'd rate them.

For HT the SVS, no question about it.
For music the EP 500.
If space is limited the Def Tech Super Cube.

Maybe you can cut back a bit on the sub and get some tower fronts with a stand alone center? That would probably make the biggest difference in sound. Probably not an option for you but thought I'd throw that out anyway. Good luck with your system

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
I have a large room and find my SVS PB-12 ISD most adequate for my needs (and sub Gain is half way up).

Unless your room exceeds 15' x 35', do you really need to spend twice the money to get a PB-12-Plus/2?

Recommend you send an e-mail to SVS and ask their advice.

J

jca93

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback. The room is 17' x 21' x 9', but is open to the kitchen/eat-in area behind it. I also want to make sure the sub I get now will do well in the future. I tend to only upgrade once every 10yrs or so (I still have a pro-logic pre-amp/tuner). Unfortunately, I don't have the option for floor standing speakers (I have a pair of Klipsch Fortes that I love) due to room layout. I do intend on moving the sub to a larger room in a couple of years when I move again. It's good to know that if I read y'alls posts long enough that I can make an educated decision. Thanks again.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
I should have specified that for the first 11' in length, I also have an open space to the left of an additional 20'.

Attachments

Last edited:
bupton

bupton

Junior Audioholic
I have a follow up question for this thread. I am looking to get a new sub for my system as well and have been looking at SVS, HSU and Axiom. I currently have full range towers (with dual nine inch drivers) in my room, but am looking for a sub to bolster the low end a bit. I would be using them for about 50/50 music and HT, but am very critical on both aspects. My main problem is that I am currently living in Germany, and cannot find anywhere to demo any of the above mentioned subs. I was looking at getting a Canton sub, to match the system that I have already, but I cannot get one with anything other than a 230v power supply, and I might have to move back to the states in a few years so I am hessitant to do that. I am lookings at things in the $500-$700 range so any input would be welcome. I had also considered the Outlaw LFE, but when I contacted them they said that HSU might be a better choice for me because they can use self switching power supplies. Any thoughts?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
SVS will ship overseas and therefore I would expect they could have a solution whereas it could be shipped out with 220 V and converted back to 110 V upon your return to America.

Best to e-mail SVS at techsupport@svsubwoofers.com and ask them.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Velodyne is another good option, and I believe that you can find their subs in Europe. Check out their HGS-X series.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
You might also take a look at Onix's UFW-12 w/ R-DES. Their 10" sub w/ R-DES just got some great reviews.

I run a Velodyne DD-15, but will be ordering a UFW-12 w/RDES to see how it stacks up against the $3K Velodyne.

bupton

bupton

Junior Audioholic
Sleestack said:
You might also take a look at Onix's UFW-12 w/ R-DES. Their 10" sub w/ R-DES just got some great reviews.

I run a Velodyne DD-15, but will be ordering a UFW-12 w/RDES to see how it stacks up against the $3K Velodyne.

Yea, I had actually thought about the Onix as well, as it did get some pretty kind words in that review. The one thing that is really holding me back from any of them is that while I want to get a new sub that will have some more kick for HT applications, I do not want to give up any accuracy in the music department (my current ten inch jobbie sounds pretty good for that). Also, do you know whether or not the Onix sub is available with a switchable power supply? I am about to deploy down to Africa for a few months and plan to either pick up the sub on my return, or get a few more of the towers that I am running on my surround channels for the rear...

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
I should have specified that for the first 11' in length, I also have an open space to the left of an additional 20
Hello
When considering or designing a home theater for a room like this the attached space on the left hand side should not be considered part of the room unless seated viewing and listening positions will be installed in that area.

Try to direct your attention to the area that is in front of you and always
Set the home theater up for the person that will be using it the most. Doing this will yield much high performance and the rest of the room will fall into place.

All of the subwoofer's mentioned above are good candidates for this room The Velodyne HGS series is very placement flexible and may have the edge in a room like this
Hope this helps
Ray

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis