G

Gjc10212

Audiophyte
Hi all,
I want a subwoofer to use at work and it needs to be connected to my MP3 player (cowon d2). The pc is locked down, in that I cant plug a usb (or any usb) dac in so my d2 is the only source component. I already have a pair of Adam f7 connected using a 3.5 jack to RCA out.

I looked at the Adam subwoofers but they don't appeal to me. I was pondering buying an svs sb2000 but wanted advice first as I'm not sure if connecting it to my d2 is possible? Ideally i dont want to buy additional audio interfaces.

I listen to music primarily, dance, hip-hop and a few other genres.

Thanks.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I would buy an SVS SB1000 SB-1000 - Black Ash - Outlet small sealed fast accurate, very nice unit... And it has a high pass set of outputs so you wont need any external x-overs, because if you add a sub and your near fields are still making the lows it will sound horrid, plus by them adams not trying to reproduce the lows you will free up a lot of headroom for your mids and highs....
to wire it you will come out of your pc with the 3.5mm to rca cable and go directly to the sub, then a set of rca cables will go from the subs "high out" to the speakers inputs...

there are other options but that is the most bang for your buck IMO, you can also get something like the rel t zero, but don't expect much out of it for the same amount of money, its tiny and makes sound but with such a small drive its almost not worth doing... http://www.musicdirect.com/p-77339-rel-t-zero-subwoofer.aspx
good luck and welcome to the forums...

Last edited:
B

Basshead81

Audioholic
Woot.com has the Pinnacle Baby Boomer on closeout for 249.00. Dual opposed 8" 600watt sub. I have the Pinnacle Subsonic which is the dual 6.5" 300watt for my garage 2.1 system and it is very impressive...especially for 179.00 I paid for it. It sounds very clean and articulate which is something I can not say about many subs I have heard under 300.00.

Pinnacle 600W Dual 8" Subwoofer

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I've only ever heard one Pinnacle sub and that was a while, but the one on Woot looks like an interesting one especially for $249.

G

Gjc10212

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice, I'm UK based so will have to see what is available here...(SVS is off the top of my head).

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
I have no clue what is available in the UK but if you are Eyeing SVS I would have to agree with ImcLoud. The Adam speakers you have are near field, and SB2000 would be overkill. The SB1000 will save you a lot of money and will be more then what you need I'm sure.
With you money you save you could also check out this fancy contraption (credit to ImcLoud for posting on this in another thread)
https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak
You plug the RCA outs from the control freak to the subwoofer line in... then run RCA cables from the sub line out to the Adams.
Then you take your 3.5 to RCA for your d2 and plug it in to the control freak ins...
The control freak will make for simple volume control so you don't have to look for your MP3 player, just reach over to the big knob and turn it down or up. Could be a handy feature to have at work.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the advice, I'm UK based so will have to see what is available here...(SVS is off the top of my head).
Pass on the imports mate! ;)

Excellent high performance subwoofer design and manufacturing right in your backyard: B.K. Electronics Homepage

The pick for you is probably the Gemini II, or if budget permits the XLS200 MK2 (either front front or down firing).

They should also be able to advise on the best connection solution.

Good luck! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis