Subwoofer recommendations

N

niraj36

Enthusiast
I am looking for a new subwoofer and need some recommendations. My budget is $1000. My room size is 11 x 19 with 7 foot celings. What size sub should I be looking at? 8 or 10 inch? Any specific recommendations?
Thanks

C

chaos24

Audioholic Intern
thousand bucks for a sub..nice...i would go with the svs as stated before me.....you really can't get a better sub and quality for the price, and boy do they go LOW:D

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
niraj36 said:
I am looking for a new subwoofer and need some recommendations. My budget is $1000. My room size is 11 x 19 with 7 foot celings. What size sub should I be looking at? 8 or 10 inch? Any specific recommendations?
Thanks
Well, for me it would be, it depends. If was mostly for music I would get a Rocket UFW-12 (I have it's smaller sibling UFW-10). If it was all movies or 50/50 movies/music then I would go the Hsu VTF-3 (I also have a Hsu VTF-2). You can see I have some bias here. SVS have great products and if you want value, the SVS PB10 at around $570 I thing, beats anything in its price class.

Edit: After further thought, I would just get the damn Hsu VTF-3. From all accounts it is the most versatile, and my current Hsu has been flawless for the past six years.

Nick

N

niraj36

Enthusiast
Any thoughts on the Velodyne SPL800. Its an 8 inch model. Would that be enough for the room size (11x19x7) ??

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
niraj36 said:
Any thoughts on the Velodyne SPL800. Its an 8 inch model. Would that be enough for the room size (11x19x7) ??

That would depend on what you want out of them. It will not be comparable to the ones mentioned above if you really want lots of powerful lows.

F

fredejo

Junior Audioholic
besides price are the velodynes (spl series) as good a sub for sound quality & earth shaking bass as the svs & hsu (12" vs 12")?? are the velodynes just as good but cost more b/c of the dsp/eq features?? for instance (cost no object) velodyne spl 1200r (VS) svs pb12 ultra (vs) HSU VTF-3 MK2 hmmm... (i've only heard the velodyne)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
fredejo said:
besides price are the velodynes (spl series) as good a sub for sound quality & earth shaking bass as the svs & hsu (12" vs 12")?? are the velodynes just as good but cost more b/c of the dsp/eq features?? for instance (cost no object) velodyne spl 1200r (VS) svs pb12 ultra (vs) HSU VTF-3 MK2 hmmm... (i've only heard the velodyne)
I don't think an SPL1200 can compare sound wise to a PB-12Ultra. I've heard the SPL1200 and its a decent sub by all means, but they just don't go as low or loud as the Ultras, not to mention play as cleanly.

The selling features for those subs are the remote and auto EQ.

I think a PB-12Plus/2 would be a sweet a$$ subwoofer for that size room. That or a PB-12Plus with an SMS-1.

SheepStar

htjunky

htjunky

Enthusiast
I think the reason velodynes cost more(apples to apples) is because your paying a premium for brand name. I own a pb-12nsd/v and it is a powerful beast. my room is about the same size as yours but it opens to the kitchen and hallway, still this sub has no problems shaking walls, my couch or me!:D with music in stereo playback it's very subdued(no pun intended), its very transparent, very natural and doesn't add it's own soundtrack. i really recommend this sub, it goes for $700 dollars.:cool:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
htjunky said:
I think the reason velodynes cost more(apples to apples) is because your paying a premium for brand name. I own a pb-12nsd/v and it is a powerful beast. my room is about the same size as yours but it opens to the kitchen and hallway, still this sub has no problems shaking walls, my couch or me!:D with music in stereo playback it's very subdued(no pun intended), its very transparent, very natural and doesn't add it's own soundtrack. i really recommend this sub, it goes for $700 dollars.:cool:
They don't make that subwoofer anymore. Plus he can get an NSD/2 or a Plus for the same money and get more. /2 for output and extension, and the plus for "tighter" or "cleaner" bass.

SheepStar

htjunky

htjunky

Enthusiast
Sheep said:
They don't make that subwoofer anymore. Plus he can get an NSD/2 or a Plus for the same money and get more. /2 for output and extension, and the plus for "tighter" or "cleaner" bass.

SheepStar
I can't believe they don't make them anymore, i just bought one in may! plus i bought it with a 10% discount bringing the price down to $630. those other models you mentioned are not the same price, they're $200 dollars more, but they are the better value. i recommended the pb-12nsd/v thinking that he can have sufficient room-filling bass and still have money left over. oh well.:eek: then for the money he has to spend($1000), he's going to have to make the decision between more "output & extension(nsd/2)" or "cleaner bass(plus model)" as you put it if he is considering an SVS sub.

N

NoPulp

Enthusiast
Check out a Klipsch RW-12 it's cheaper now that the RW-12D came out(a while ago),very crisp,accurate,tight deep bass especially when placed in a corner(down to 20hz).Im very happy with mine especially when used for movies or music,gain turned almost up to 3/4 but not quite,in a similar room sounds SICK!!!.

scenaria

scenaria

Junior Audioholic
If a large percentage of your listening will involve home theater use.. then I would suggest giving an Axiom EP500 a listen as well.

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
Unfortunately there are usually not comparable bench test results available for all the models one might be considering. I would take all anecdotal reports about one model going 'lower' than another, or shaking stuff more, with a pebble of salt, unless there's some measurments to back that up. Some can 'go lower' than others, but distort more, for example.

One way to go is to look at available published performance results (e.g. Nousaine's surveys, individual reviews in HT and audio mags *that include bench tests*) and see which brands tend to deliver the biggest, cleanest bang per buck.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis