subwoofer recommendation

B

bradf

Audiophyte
I am in the market for a subwoofer for a dedicated two-channel system to match with my ascend acoustics sierra-2s that are being run by a 150 watt per channel integrated amp. the room is about 2800 cu feet. After some extensive searching, I seem to have landed on either the Outlaw Ultra-X12 or the Hsu ULS 15 MK2. I am frankly leaning towards the Outlaw because of price (its about $180 cheaper with shipping), but am willing to pay the extra if the Hsu is definitely worth it. I am using an old, borrowed JBL control 10 at present just to see the impact of a sub and have been surprised at how even that product has filled out the soundstage. I have gotten some feedback recommending two subs, but don't want to go that route for both price and room layout. I also am aware that Ascend recommends pairing with Rythmik subs, but find that they are much more expensive that I would like. I welcome your advice.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Due to your smaller room volume (if you got it right - aka really 2.8k cuft sealed space) I think you can get away getting SVS sb2000.

But out of your choices - both are good, but HSU ULS 15 Mk2 is worth the extra between the two

B

bradf

Audiophyte
My problem with the SBS is that I have an old integrated amp with no pre-out, so I have to run the speaker cables through the sub. SBS does not provide for that, but Outlwa and Hsu does. I would be curious as to why you think the HSU ULS 15 MK2 is worth the extra. the output levels on both the Outlaw and the HSU are very, very similar.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The output levels on the Hsu will be quite a bit above that of the Outlaw, until you get down to the Outlaw's tuning point, where it might have a slight advantage around 20 Hz or so. But for the music ranges, 40 Hz and up, the ULS-15 mk2 will have a serious performance advantage.

B

bradf

Audiophyte
Just for clarity of mind, please explain why the output levels are important. I do see, by the way, that the output levels of the HSU exceed that of the Outlaw as you described. However, since my only use of the sub will be for music, hence I am most interested in accuracy, clarity, and an enhanced soundstage, why is a greater output critical? Is is similar to the idea with amplifiers that excess power doesn't mean that volume levels are excessive, but that there is more reserve so that output seems more effortless? By the way, I am leaning toward the HSU ULS-15 mk2, but saving money is always enticing since i see a preamp and amp in my future.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Generally speaking, the louder a sub can play at a given frequency, the cleaner and more linear it will be able to do so. The Hsu should have lower distortion, less compression, less group delay, etc. I have the predecessors to both of the subs you are considering, the LFM-1 EX and ULS-15 mk1. For music, I would go with the ULS all day.

B

bradf

Audiophyte
I just pulled the trigger on the ULS15 MK2. Many thanks for your advice. Now I will start the process of researching electronics (pre-amp and amp or some other configuration) that has a sub-out. I have really enjoyed the simplicity of my Acurus integrated amp, but after 17 years it may be time to move on.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Now I will start the process of researching electronics (pre-amp and amp or some other configuration) that has a sub-out.
You should start a new thread on this.
Integrated or pre-amps with good sub management are a rarity and a difficult item to sort out.
People here will tell you what is available.
Give your budget and state whether or not this is exclusively for stereo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis