Subwoofer Recommendation to pressurize room

J

Jack_O_Lantern

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I have a car audio background and some experience with pretty average home theater hardware.

I have a sub $400 Sony 7.1 110w per channel receiver and 5 bookshelf sony medium grade speakers. I live in the lower level of a duplex house all connected living room/bedroom/kitchen/bathroom that is about ~3000 cubic feet.

I am looking to add 1 or perhaps 2 subwoofers that will pressurize this space with deep shaking bass(upstairs neighbor not bothered by sound or shaking floors at all), accuracy is also important. My budget is 1000-1200 but I would prefer to keep it under 1000 for the subs. I am going to use this for 95% HT and 5% gaming/music.

I've read that ported is better in my type of dwelling. I am zeroing in on the SVS PB12-NSD. I would appreciate any recommendations or comments. My budget is slightly flexible.

I'm starting to get the feeling bassheads will probably want 2 subwoofers. If so, can someone recommend 2?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I'm starting to get the feeling bassheads will probably want 2 subwoofers. If so, can someone recommend 2?
2 will give you better SQ but in your price range and room, getting pressurization is quite a challenge.

I would recommend looking at a single Rythmik FV15HP.

Overall though, your receiver and main speakers are a big bottleneck and i don't agree buying a subwoofer if your mains, amp, and sub preout won't cut the mustard, which they won't.

J

Jack_O_Lantern

Audiophyte
Overall though, your receiver and main speakers are a big bottleneck and i don't agree buying a subwoofer if your mains, amp, and sub preout won't cut the mustard, which they won't.
I should have mentioned I plan on upgrading my other speakers down the road. When you say bottlenecking, I assume you mean quality of component-wise. Because frankly I can blast the volume with this setup to the point at which the highs are too loud for my ears.

I'll look into your sub recommendation.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
2 will give you better SQ but in your price range and room, getting pressurization is quite a challenge.

I would recommend looking at a single Rythmik FV15HP.

I agree with this, at least regarding the Rythmik FV15HP.

Concerning the receiver, we need more info. What model is it, and does it utilize the latest audio codecs?

Other good choices would be the SVS PB12-Plus and Epik Empire.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
If you want to go duals within your budget the go with 2 Rythmik FV-12 subs!

Those are the best (commercial) $500 subs you can get IMO.

Those will "match" the Sonys better than the FV-15HP. However!! The FV-15HP will have more output & deeper bass extention.il If your fine with a single beast of a sub then get the FV-15HP, if you want great dual subs for $1000 then go dual FV-12s.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with GranteedEV, I wouldn't even be considering duals or even a $1K sub with that setup. I'd be upgrading the front 3, receiver and maybe a single sub that will eventually have a second matching one added.

J

Jack_O_Lantern

Audiophyte
I may have used the word "pressurise" too loosely. Rather I want to feel the bass but I don't need my teeth rattling. The Rythmik is a bit expensive.

I just ordered the SVS PB12-NSD and should have it Monday.

My receiver is a Sony STR-DG800. MB350H shelf speakers and similar center channel and surrounds. This is just a starting point. I picked this equipment up for next to nothing on Craigslist and am looking to start to build something more serious for a fitness room home theater. In my living room I have a Sony DAV S100 home theater.

I am looking to replace and interchange components. There are some killer deals on craigslist.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Hey man, u gotta start your upgrades somewhere. There's nothing wrong with starting out at the bottom and working your way up.

DJ

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
The PB-12NSD is a great choice!! A little expensive for the performance but nontheless your getting a quality driver, great enclosure & solid performance with SVS. This new sub WILL transform your listening experience for sure!!! You may find the rest of the system cant quite keep up with the NSD but thats ok your starting somewhere :)

Please come back & let us know your thoughts on it & post some pics of the new sub & the rest of your setup.

Make sure you do the "bass crawl" to locate the best placement location for your sub!! Placement makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE with how it sounds. Also, the sub is going to need a solid 30-50hrs of break-in time. The sub wont sound its best right out of the box. No it will take some time for her to loosen up. You will notice deeper, smoother bass as you use her.

Congrats & ENJOY!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis