Subwoofer recommendation: HSU, SVS or Rythmik??

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys,

I've just finished building a 5.(1) system and now need a subwoofer recommendation!

My system is as follows:

LCR: Ascend Sierra -1s
Surrounds: Ascend HTM-200se
Pioneer 1222K

My living room is about 1500 ft^3, hardwood floors and has open door ways to two rooms.

Size is not too much of an issue as I have a good space for in between my couch and loveseat.

I do about 80% music/ 20% movies. Since I do mostly music, I think I want more of a musical sub than a HT sub, but would like to get a sub that can handle both music and movies for when I do watch movies to make my 5.1 system worthwhile.

I'm trying to spend under $700 shipped for a subwoofer and after doing some research have come down to a couple options:

HSU STF2
HSU VT1- MK4
HSU VT2- MK4

Rythmik F12
Rythmik F15?

a SVS subwoofer in this price range.

I know the Rythmik F12 will run more than my budget, but Ascend sells them and I think they may be the best match for my speakers. I also get a 5% discount with Rythmik for ordering a HT speaker setup through Ascend
I don't really know much about subwoofers, but from what I've read, sealed subs are better music subs as they are tighter, and ported subs are better for movies as they have better low end extensions and louder.

Seems that the HSU subs get very high recommendations and are less expensive than the Rythmiks. Are the Rythmiks a step above the HSU subs to be several 100 more than them?

What do you guys recommend for my situation?

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
If you are willing to dish out the extra 100 bux, the XV15 from PSA will do better than all the ones listed. This is just coming from the recent research I have done. Also, you have a big enough room to set the sub up properly. The Hsu Research models are better for me because I will need some tweaking to get them to sound right. SVS seems a more pricey brand in general.

Ported subs will not do noticeably worse for your music, from what I have read. The XV15 is ported, but with your towers, you're not going to get any noticable lag or delay, as the sub is going to take over only on the super low frequencies. The XV15, I think, is the perfect sub for you. I almost got it for studio use. I opted for the Hsu stuff because of the configurability.

I highly recommend that you give the XV15 some serious thought.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Seems that the HSU subs get very high recommendations and are less expensive than the Rythmiks. Are the Rythmiks a step above the HSU subs to be several 100 more than them?
The models you've selected are apples and oranges. The Rythmik F15 would be best compared with the Hsu ULS-15.

What do you guys recommend for my situation?
I don't personally subscribe to the opinion that a sealed sub is inherently better for music. Proper integration into your system & room plays a far more important role IMO than the small differences that might exist between a very good sealed sub and a very good ported sub in this respect. That said, I'd probably look at the VTF-2 Mk 4, or for a bit more, the Outlaw LFM-1 EX or Hsu VTF 3.4 which are a shade over 700 shipped.

Last edited:
W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
The XV15 is ported, but with your towers, you're not going to get any noticable lag or delay...

I highly recommend that you give the XV15 some serious thought.
The Sierra -1s are bookshelf speakers :). I'm hesitant on the PSA sub as I haven't seen much information or reviews on them and I'd like to go with a tried and true company and sub as this will be my first decent sub.

The models you've selected are apples and oranges. The Rythmik F15 would be best compared with the Hsu ULS-15.
I don't personally subscribe to the opinion that a sealed sub is inherently better for music. That said, I'd probably look at the VTF-2 Mk 4, or for a bit more, the Outlaw LFM-1 EX or Hsu VTF 3.4 which are a shade over 700 shipped.
Good input. I should have stated my question correctly as I'm looking at the VTF-2 Mk4 due to the price and reviews for it. I also like how you can tweak the sound of it with port- plugs accessory. Though Iwanted to see if the Rythmik F12 was head over heals to the VTF-2MK4. Especially since Ascend sells this sub with their speaker packages.
I could be interested in the LFM-1 EX as I recognize the Outlaw brand and the price is right.

So I guess my following choices are:

HSU VTF-2 MK4
Outlaw LFM-1 EX
Rythmik F12, if it's head over heals a better sub than the other two. (5% discount as well)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Outlaw EX is basically an older version of the VTF3 with less features and not quite as great low frequency performance. Since at the moment they are nearly the same price, there is no reason not to go with the VTF3 over the LFM EX, as the VTF3 is an improved version of the EX. The F12 is a bit different from the LFMs or the VTF subs, it is a small sealed sub, it will sound a bit cleaner but it won't have nearly the output of these larger sealed subs, especially at the low frequencies.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'm hesitant on the PSA sub as I haven't seen much information or reviews on them and I'd like to go with a tried and true company and sub as this will be my first decent sub.
Fair enough; FWIW the XV-15 does have a full review here at AH, and the company was founded by SVS co-founder Tom Vodhanel (the V in SVS) and SVS veteran Jim Farina.

Iwanted to see if the Rythmik F12 was head over heals to the VTF-2MK4.
They're both good subs, albeit of different designs. Saying one is head over heels better than the other would be a bit of a stretch IMO, though a situation may favor one over the other.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Ok, so for my situation a VTF-2.4 would be a good sub to go with?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'd say so. I expect you'd be pleased with its output capabilities, and given its multiple tuning options, you ought to be able to get it to blend into your system without too much pain and suffering.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
I still stand by the XV15 for your situation. If it were me in your situation, I would either be going with dual VTF2's or a single XV15. The XV15 is an EXCELLENT bang for buck buy. The only reason I'm going with the VTF-15 or dual VTF2's is becuase of my room situation. Your room seems like the perfect space to really let the XV15 shine. Since you are also using it for HT, I would say that the venting is a big plus. It's also got TONS of power. Plus, from what I have read, it's a tight, punchy, musical sub.

Still recommending the XV15. Seems to me to be worth the extra bucks. You'd get a lot further with those extra bucks on PSA gear than Hsu gear.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
OK, I'll look again at it. That XV15 is one hefty lady though!! Holy Cow! Just about 24" x 24" x 18"!!! Almost 100 lb! I could use it as a coffee table too! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis