Subwoofer question: Two smaller or one biggun?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
It depends. Yes, I know that sounds like a weaselly answer, but it really does depend. The reason to get two is to help deal with irregularities in the frequency response caused by room interaction. The thing is, what those will be, and how bad they are, will depend upon the specific room and where you put the subwoofer, as well as where you will listen to it. A reason to go with one that costs as much as the two lesser ones is that you are more likely to get deeper bass.

Now the non-complicated answer. For most people, I think it is better to go with one good one. The reason is very simple. Most people do not save up enough money to get what they ultimately want right away, and consequently upgrade their gear over time. If you buy one good subwoofer, the upgrade is simple and financially efficient: Simply buy a second subwoofer identical to the first one. However, if you bought two lesser subwoofers, the upgrade is going to involve buying two better subwoofers, and getting rid of the lesser subwoofers, which is going to end up costing you more money.

For this reason, I only recommend buying two subwoofers for people who either have enough money to buy what they really want right away, or who will never have more money to upgrade later.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
+1 to what Pyrrho said above.
The same question, but at doubled your budget becomes much harder to answer
$500-600 Is where good subs really just start. The key here would be to get the best sub for money and hopefully one which can help control some of room related issues
like this one: VTF-15H Subwoofer (yes I know it's a bit above budget, but I strongly believe that HSU will work with you on the price if asked directly)

L

LiveJazz

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the input. I was leaning the direction of one bigger and more powerful sub. I understand that two can even out the bass, but I'd rather go ahead and get the lower frequencies, if it's between one or the other. And, I can play with placement. Just wasn't sure if there were other technical reasons why the two is vastly better, other than evenness.

BoredSys, the VTF 15H is definitely on my radar and was/is my primary competitor against the double sub option.

I'll be upgrading from a 150w Klipsch...probably 10 inches and well over 15 years old....so whatever I get will be a vast step up!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I say both are incorrect you need at least two big ones. :D

So get the first big one and add the second later. Why not save up some more money to get a better sub? No need to rush things.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
The title says it all. Assuming finite subwoofer funds of about $800 and a larger room
What's your definition of a 'larger room'? More than likely the VTF-15 will be the better choice, but without knowing HWD of the entire space it's not really possible to know for sure.

L

LiveJazz

Junior Audioholic
What's your definition of a 'larger room'? More than likely the VTF-15 will be the better choice, but without knowing HWD of the entire space it's not really possible to know for sure.
4000-5000 ft3, a bit off from square (26'x20'). Listening area about 10 ft from system.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
As I understand it, you can have too little subwoofer for a given installation but you can't have too much. The more and bigger the transducers, the smoother the bass and easier job they have getting things done. That should equal less distortion, resonance etc and a longer life. I have 5000 cubic foot room and my 12" woofer will shake the walls during LFE episodes. I doubt a 15" would shake them more but it would probably shake them with less distortion, resonance etc. In your shoes I would opt for the bigger sub and then add as you go.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
That's a rather large room for one sub 4-5000cf. in my opinion. I would seriously consider two of these or at least one to start.
POWER SOUND AUDIO — XV15 Home Audio Subwoofer. Ideally I think this should also be on your short list and this if you prefer sealed.
POWER SOUND AUDIO — XV30f
POWER SOUND AUDIO — XS30 Home Audio Subwoofer
I have heard all of the above subs and can attest to the clean undistorted room filling sound these subs can produce, no regrets guaranteed.
If you could stretch your budget a bit I would give PSA considerable thought.
I also highly agree with Pyrro
Cheers Jeff

Last edited:
macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
+ Another on the VTF-15 a buddy of mine got a great deal at RMAF last year on the show demo. His family room is open to the rest of a 4500 sq ft house. We figured a roughly 10,000 cu ft area and the sub rocks his theater area! I'm not saying that it pressurized the room, but there was no shortage of bass in that room.
Cheers, Mac

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
+ Another on the VTF-15 a buddy of mine got a great deal at RMAF last year on the show demo. His family room is open to the rest of a 4500 sq ft house. We figured a roughly 10,000 cu ft area and the sub rocks his theater area! I'm not saying that it pressurized the room, but there was no shortage of bass in that room.
Cheers, Mac
That is quite an achievement, 10,000 cf with one sub

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis