rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of building the GR Research A/V 3's ,and I am thinking of doing their subwoofer/passive radiator spaeker any thoughts on it ? Or is there something out there better in the same price range .I will upodate the A/V 3's in a few days need to primer the second cabinet .
Thanks for all the input , Ron.

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
sub amolifier

rlammi said:
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of building the GR Research A/V 3's ,and I am thinking of doing their subwoofer/passive radiator spaeker any thoughts on it ? Or is there something out there better in the same price range .I will upodate the A/V 3's in a few days need to primer the second cabinet .
Thanks for all the input , Ron.

Hey ,well no responses to the sub , how about an amplifier .Should i go with a plate amp for the sub or an external one like a behringer ? I have already ordered the drivers and am in the process of building the sub enclosure ,building it at the same time I am doing the a/v 3's so lots of saw dust .any thoughts on the amp,before I cut a hole for a late amp ?thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My buddy actually built the GR sub. It looks fantastic - black with maple trim and top (looks like an end table) and sounds pretty amazing. It is very articulate and clear. He is using a PE 250w amp. Depending on how much you want to spend, PE has the 500w BASH amp with PEQ on sale right now. If not what you're looking for in price, maybe the one like what I'm using might be of interest: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo_product.htm I'm using the A-350 basic (very nice amp so far and great price at just $150), and there is also the A-370SE which can be tailored to the application (12dB/octave or 24dB/octave).

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
subwoofer amp

j_garcia said:
My buddy actually built the GR sub. It looks fantastic - black with maple trim and top (looks like an end table) and sounds pretty amazing. It is very articulate and clear. He is using a PE 250w amp. Depending on how much you want to spend, PE has the 500w BASH amp with PEQ on sale right now. If not what you're looking for in price, maybe the one like what I'm using might be of interest: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo_product.htm I'm using the A-350 basic (very nice amp so far and great price at just $150), and there is also the A-370SE which can be tailored to the application (12dB/octave or 24dB/octave).

Thanks jgarcia, the sub looks nice in gr's pictures ,thanks for the amp advise money isn't really a problem just trying to keep in good graces with the wife ,she thinks I am nuts .I have already started on the a/v 3's you recommended and they are coming out pretty good getting ready to fill all the holes and primer the cabinets .And I fixed the leaning just took a little off the bottom with a sander and it is straight now .As for the sub I cut all the panels in pairs so they would be the same ,seeings how I don't have a table saw .That was recommended from another audioholic's member .So I am going to go with a plate amp either the one you recommended or the bash amp.when I get the sub together I will post pictures .I am also going to do the gr research center channle I figure that way all the fronts will be the same Thanks for all the advise everyone I will post photos soon of both projects .Ron.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Good luck man, I look forward to seeing the results. Let us know how it all sounds once it is up and running too!!

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
Good luck man, I look forward to seeing the results. Let us know how it all sounds once it is up and running too!!

Thanks jgarcis, I probably would never have tried to build these speakers if it hadn't been for this forum .The only thing that is hard is that I have an allergy to wood ,so when I cut it I have to have long sleeve shirts a mask and hood ,and even then I still break out ,and there is alot of dust from mdf so I have to do it in stages or if I keep going my eyes will swell shut .BUt I am taking breaks and making progress .I will post pic's of the speaks all together so far and post them and once they are up and running I will let you know how they sound .Thanks for all the input ,Ron.

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
Man, that really sucks. You should try one of those allergy clinics that do weekly treatments. I think they have programs where you can sign up and go for so many days in a row as they try to eventually make you immune to your allergy.

The only reason I know about this is because I shadowed a physician who had a patient with really bad allergies.

Oh yeah, good luck on the sub. I am waiting for my two 12" Shiva MKIV's to come in the mail and then I will have to do some research and see what design I want to use. :D :D :D

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
runninkyle17 said:
Man, that really sucks. You should try one of those allergy clinics that do weekly treatments. I think they have programs where you can sign up and go for so many days in a row as they try to eventually make you immune to your allergy.

The only reason I know about this is because I shadowed a physician who had a patient with really bad allergies.

Oh yeah, good luck on the sub. I am waiting for my two 12" Shiva MKIV's to come in the mail and then I will have to do some research and see what design I want to use. :D :D :D
Thanks runninkyle17
I have been to an allergy clinic an all it seemed to do was make me worse .If I take allergy medicice before working with the wood it helps and if I use a cream after words it also help to keep it under control. so I will work in steps and keep moving forward and trying to keep it to a minimum .I like to work with wood my wife has had me do hard wood floor though out the house ,and old house but I still get a flare up now and then and with the mdf there is alot of dust .I have almost got all the boxes done so I will be posting some pictures soon ,I have A few already posted in the loudspeakre section , it is just down a ways under the ,(building the gr-research a/v 3's) post .Ilooked at the shiva just wasn't sure on the enclosure so I went with the gr research sub to match the front three .These are thepictures I have so far http://community.webshots.com/user/rlammi100

Last edited:
rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
drivers are here

rlammi said:
Thanks runninkyle17
I have been to an allergy clinic an all it seemed to do was make me worse .If I take allergy medicice before working with the wood it helps and if I use a cream after words it also help to keep it under control. so I will work in steps and keep moving forward and trying to keep it to a minimum .I like to work with wood my wife has had me do hard wood floor though out the house ,and old house but I still get a flare up now and then and with the mdf there is alot of dust .I have almost got all the boxes done so I will be posting some pictures soon ,I have A few already posted in the loudspeakre section , it is just down a ways under the ,(building the gr-research a/v 3's) post .Ilooked at the shiva just wasn't sure on the enclosure so I went with the gr research sub to match the front three .These are thepictures I have so far http://community.webshots.com/user/rlammi100

Hello eveyone , I have poted a couple of shots of the subwoofer project , just got the drivers for it and will hopefully have the cabinet ready this weekend to install them in. then is it time to see how it performs .one question on the passive radiator , do they come adjusted (weighted) or do I still need to add weight ,or wait until it is in and see how it sounds .There wasn't really any info with the drivers .thanks will post more photos when I can .I am also still working on the A/v 3's will hopefully have the cabinets all sanded and filled this weekend and primed then just need to decide on color .Thanks Ron.

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
Drivers have arrived

Hello all audioholics ,

I have finally gotten the drivers for the sub,they look great. iHave added photos of the sub. The a/v 3's have been kind of put on the back burner
wiating for funds for the drivers .I am still getting them ready adding filler ,actually using bondo so there aren't any gaps were the boards meet.
For the sub I been using mainly wood filler a little easier to sand and the sub panels fit better than the mains did .so check out this link http://community.webshots.com/user/rlammi100 , I have added a few photos of the sub in process ,and as I am typing I am witing for the primer to dry to add another coat will post more pic's as I go .Thanks all and let the music/ ht flow . Ron

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
passive radiator and amplifier

Hello everyone ,trying to get some input on the passive radiator and an amplifier .First on the passive radiator does anyone know if it needs to be adjusted prior to installing or do I need to install it and see how the bass is and then adjust?And for the amplifier, in the plans for the plans it does not show any type of cutout in the cabinet for a plate amplifier ,so I was wonder if it would hurt the sound to install a plate amp or should I go with an external seperate amp ,and would the lfe from my sunfire just hook into the amp like a plate amp ?I have three sub outs on this processor .Thanks in advance for any input .Ron.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What do you mean "adjust" the passive radiator? There is an adjustment?

For the amp, you need to account for the internal volume the amp will take up inside the cabinet. The sub is otherwise passive and you would use whatever amp as a stand alone amp (that is how I have mine - plate amp is in a separate enclosure by itself). Yes, the LFE goes to the plate amp just like any other sub.

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
pasive radiator

j_garcia said:
What do you mean "adjust" the passive radiator? There is an adjustment?

For the amp, you need to account for the internal volume the amp will take up inside the cabinet. The sub is otherwise passive and you would use whatever amp as a stand alone amp (that is how I have mine - plate amp is in a separate enclosure by itself). Yes, the LFE goes to the plate amp just like any other sub.

Well according to the info from Gr (which I still haven't gotten a reply from danny on) the passive radiator had a screw,washer and nut that will put weight closer or further away from the cone?that will either tighten the bass response or make it looser from I have read .and I have inspected the PR and there is a screw post and a nut and washer that extends below the basket .As for the amp I will build a seperate enclosure .At least this way I can put the last panel on and get the speakers mounted after I paint it .Jgarcia did your buddy ever say if he added any insulation inside the GR sub? thanks for your input I will post more pics as soon as the enclosure is finished and primed .

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
finished short of the amp

well here it is the sub is done short of the amp .i had to borrow the amp from my old sub to run this one on my ht system.sounds great even though i don't have any measuring equipment much cleaner than the old sub ,which after pulling it apart looks like an 8 inch wharfdale ,the gr sub sounds and looks alot better .here are a few photos once i do a little touch up and get the amp i will post more photos ,and the gr research av 3 parts are here so i will have to get to work on them ,then the center channle .thanks for all the input .http://community.webshots.com/user/rlammi100.

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
finally done

j_garcia said:
Looks good man :)

Yeah I am going to pull the drivers one last time and do a little touch up and the reclear the cabinet ,but what a diffeerence from the wharfdal sub(which I am stealling the amp from for the moment ) still need to get one with a little more power I think it is only rated at 70-75 watts .So I am going to be getting a little more powerfull amp and will let you know how it sounds .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis