Subwoofer Installation

K

kaleb duke

Audiophyte
I recently bought a Velodyne CT-100 off of craigslist and hooked it up to my Denon AVR 3805.

When hooking it up, I accidentally plugged the RCA cable to the L&R input jacks on the subwoofer to the L&R surround speaker output on my amp. The internal cross over was turned off on the sub.

I proceeded to play music with heavy bass and was annoyed with the constant hum of the subwoofer. With inspection I found out i mentioned above and proceeded to connect the subwoofer to the dedicated subwoofer output on my Denon.

Unfortunately, the sub will only produce a constant hum. Wiggling the RCA cable will make the hum go away, but then no sound whatsoever is produced.
When the sub was connected to the surround speaker output there was a constant hum, but musical tones were also produced. However, when connected to the subwoofer output only a constant hum or no sound at all is produced.

Is this a short in my sub??? or did I damage/ruin it??
Any tips or input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
-Kaleb

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Have you changed the speaker settings from your receiver after the change in connection? If your receiver is still set to output on your surround and not to lfe this will be the issue. As for the hum, is your rca shielded? Is it close to any power cables? Try to move it apart from all power cables if it is close to any.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Plugging your sub into the surround preamp outputs didn't harm the sub.

Let's start by doing a little problem isolation.

If you unplug everything from the sub, does it still hum? It shouldn't.

Next, take a Cd player or some other source and plug it into the sub's line level input(s). You should hear something from the sub. Does it still hum? It shouldn't.

Get back to us after trying that.

K

kaleb duke

Audiophyte
I changed to receiver settings from subwoofer none to subwoofer on.

I've been experimenting moving the RCA cables around to avoid the power cables, along with unplugging all unnecessary equipment.

K

kaleb duke

Audiophyte
markw. i tried what you said by connecting my sub to an fm radio. Sound is produced with no hum.

K

kaleb duke

Audiophyte
just bough a shielded subwoofer cable from bestbuy. fixed everything.

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis