A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>With most reviews and reactions from colleagues, there are very few subwooofers out there that are excellent for music. &nbsp;Vandersteens and RELs are often mentioned. &nbsp;But I think they start above $1000. &nbsp;Maybe some pre-owned outlets have them at half the SRP.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Add the Yamaha and Paradigm to your wish list too, both are quite good.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Lots of good advice here! Another tack I've heard that can be effective is to have two subs, one per channel. They cancel each other's node peaks out (with some attention to placement, of course). I have even heard of using two *different* subs, say one big honker for the real deep bass and a smaller one for 50hz or so on up, for the same purpose.

But, like with real estate, I agree that the first key to sub performance (and good bass performance with full range speakers) once you have a good unit(s) is location, location, location (placement).

Be aware that you can reduce peaks but can't fill in response holes with any kind of EQ. Only placement can fix or minimize those. The holes can bedevil you more than the peaks in my experience!

Another note: there are pretty good cheap PC and Mac based spectrum analyzer shareware programs out there. You can use your basic PC mic with them. Not laboratory grade by any stretch but good enough! Search downloads.com. I use one on my Mac called iSpectrum that cost the kingly sum of US$29. Works fine!

Or, you could try a setup like this!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>I would agree with Rip, I am using two subs in front and one in rear with my rear speaker set to LARGE in speaker management and I get very good clean bass from this setup.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Yamahaluver : <font color='#000000'>I am using two subs in front and one in rear</font>
<font color='#000000'>Holy $#*&quot;! I hope you don't live in an earthquake zone!
</font>

M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Rip, are the spectrum analyzer programs easy to use and where could one find out how to use them in a HT application? I'd like to find out what I'm getting into before I buy one.

I tried &nbsp;this but it was too complex.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Hate to tell you, but the head gear is absolutely necessary!  

Yes, they're easy to use, but you need a microphone (the one that came with your computer is adequate, or buy one that will plug into your sound card) and some sort of test signal, whether via a signal generator or a CD with test tones. Linkwitz has a good test CD for $20. That's what I use. See link at end of this post.

Basically, place the mic (plugged into your sound card) in your listening position, launch the spectrum analyzer, fire up the test tones, and watch what happens. You want the various tones to be as near the same dB level as possible. If using pink noise, you want the sort of fuzzy response curve you'll see to be as flat as possible (pink noise response curve is most useful above 200 hz or so -- good for finding midrange and high freq. irregularities).

I hasten to point out, however, that a spectrum analyzer is maybe more than you need. It's just kind of audio-geeky and fun if you like that sort of thing (I do). If you slowly sweep the bass frequencies from about 200 hz down to 20 hz (the Linkwitz CD has a track that does that), you'll HEAR the peaks &amp; valleys in your bass response easily enough, and thus will be able to hear the results of your placement changes until the sound is as nearly uniform as you can get it. An analyzer will not tell you anything about where to put the speakers -- it's still trial &amp; error.

Most of the software-based analyzers have instructions -- some more, some less. And you can download demos to try before buying. You can learn a lot just playing around with the demo.

Linkwitz test CD</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Rip Van Woofer : <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (Yamahaluver @ Jan. 10 2004,11:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am using two subs in front and one in rear
Holy $#*&quot;! I hope you don't live in an earthquake zone!
</td></tr></table>

I live on top of a hill on the foothills of the great Himalayas range, the house is brick and concrete affair but my neighbors wife always tells my wife that her windows rattle and shake and most of the times she knows when I am playing music or watching a movie.</font>

A

abe

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Yamahaluver, &nbsp; Does statistics show avalanches on Himalaya have been more frequent since you moved in? &nbsp;....

abe</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
abe : <font color='#000000'>Yamahaluver,   Does statistics show avalanches on Himalaya have been more frequent since you moved in?  ....

abe</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>

Good one Abe, I would have to check with the seismic department but as long as they dont fall on my house.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis