Subwoofer Eq Suggestions

Matt34

Matt34

If you set the sub crossover to the same frequency or just a tad above the receiver one, it will give you a sharper cut off of the higher ones.
I need to try that, thanks for the advice.

I am very keen to buy an SMS-1 but I've heard reports that the low end roll off is steep. I spoke to curt from Velodyne and he tells me that there is a 1.5 db roll off at 20 hz.

But at the same time, I heard reports at home theater shack and home theater hifi that there is roll off starting at 25 hz and it's not small. Otherwise people wouldn't have been bothered by it. Even with 5 hz subsonic filer, people are reporting roll off much higher up.

As I said, I am keen to get one but if this is really the case then do you think there will be a software upgrade to remove the crossover altogher ?

Sorry if I jumped into the wrong thread but seeing as though the SMS-1 is being discussed I might as well mention this. Thanks !

--Regards,
I'm flat down to 20hz(slight bump at 20hz, dip at 50hz) then it rolls off, so I suspect Velodyne is correct. With two VTF3.2 tuned to 18hz, I really thought 16hz in-room was going to be no problem before I found out about this.

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
I have an SVS PB10 that is tuned to 17.5 hz I think. I know that it won't produce significant output down that low but it will produce some output.

If I understand things, whatever output below 20 hz that it could produce is now going to be discarded because of the subsonic filter. I really hope that Velodyne will release a software update to disable the subsonic filter altogether to give users the option.

--Regards,

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I got some very reliable news that the sms-1 will get an update to its software that removes ALL subsonic filters or what not ...

it will come out NO LATER than the end of September, so don't go bothering velodyne with "when" questions. it will come out on or before the end of September! (that's a conservative estimate on "when")

just don't go busting your subwoofers with low frequency EQ boosts :)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I got some very reliable news that the sms-1 will get an update to its software that removes ALL subsonic filters or what not ...

it will come out NO LATER than the end of September, so don't go bothering velodyne with "when" questions. it will come out on or before the end of September! (that's a conservative estimate on "when")

Awesome! I can't wait for this. I have been very happy with my SMS-1 but this just makes me a bit happier. Any idea on how hard it is to update the firmware on a SMS-1?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
nope! i guess we'll learn it at the same time ... :)
Well I looked at the Outlaw guide as well as the Velodyne one and it looks really easy. Just plug connect the unit to your computer, using a cable that isn't supplied :(, then let the program do its work!

Exciting news, especially if it is that easy! Subsonic frequencies here I come :eek:.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the reason why i didn't say it was easy is because, the sms1 comes with a 9 pin thingamajig, i don't have that on my pc.

Last edited:
avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I am sure adapters can be found. When the update is released I am sure we will find one quickly as my computer doesn't seem to have one either...it will be possible!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan

Who says procrastination doesn't have it's own benefits.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis