Subwoofer cuts off after about 5 mins, amp stays on...?

H

heathmc

Enthusiast
Hello, I have a Yamaha YST-SW40 sub powered by a Yamaha R-V703. The sub will cut after after 5 mins no matter what, however the speakers will stay on and keep playing. The "auto-on/off" feature is turned off, but even when it is on it does the same thing. I have tried plugging the sub's power into the receiver and also just plugging it strait into the wall, still in does the same thing. When the sub cuts off it's power light goes out, then if i turn it off and back on it starts to play again and then cuts off again. The amp is set to output 25% power to the sub (-15db), even on min or max it still cuts off. The sub is set to 50% power and 100mhz high cut.
Thanks for any help!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Offhand, it sounds like the amp is shot. Have it looked at by a qualified tech.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Time for a new sub, try plugging something else into the input just to make sure your avr isnt stopping the signal, is it getting hot? is it always exactly the same amount of time, will it shut off faster if you play it louder, will it turn rite back on or does it shut off until it cools down..

H

heathmc

Enthusiast
The input to the sub comes from the speaker out and it still shuts off, I have tried taking it from the sub out into the sub input but still the same thing. Volume does not matter, it doesn't get hot and when it shuts off I'll turn it off wait about 3 seconds for it to reset then it starts up fine.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds to me like its broken, either going to have to send it for repair or replace it... I think them are available for around $85 shipped, or there are some subs for around $100 brand new that may be an upgrade... check accessories4less.com {they have a 10" 100watt Boston for $129} and amazon {polk 10" $100, dayton 12" 120watt $140, yamaha yst2 10" for around $140, and tons more} If you go down to 8" you can be sub 100, but 8's are no fun unless they are in towers..... probably be cheaper than getting that one repaired, it sounds like a bad board in the amplifier...

Last edited:
H

heathmc

Enthusiast
Thanks again for the help! The reason I have such an old system is because I'm not ready to spend that money, so I guess I'll live without of look for a second hand sub. Thanks again everyone!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. Do you have any older receivers or amps around that you aren't using? If so, you could use it to replace the sub amp, and we'll be happy to talk you through it.

H

heathmc

Enthusiast
I do have an older sub but it is lacking a power supply and correct input, I'm not sure if much can be done with it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis