Subwoofer crossover

D

dannox02

Enthusiast
I have a Yamaha htr-5990 and the Athena Point 5 MKII setup. The speaker setup came with four S.5, a C.5 and a AS-P6000 sub. The sub has a lowpass dial on the back that is supposed to be set to the correct athena speaker model number... of course the S.5 is not on the dial....

Anyone have any idea what the optimal setting for sub would be for this setup? Is there any change I should make on the reciever as well?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How are you connecting the sub? If you are using the preamp sub out from the receiver, then set the sub's x-over to its highest point. If using the receiver's sub preout, then the receiver handles the crossover, which I would probably set at 100Hz for starters. What do you mean "on the dial"? Is there a dial on there that actually has the names of the various speaker packages? Most subs just have a continuously variable low pass that adjusts only the sub and will have no effect on the satellites, though it would affect how the sub blends with the satelllites if you were not using the receiver's crossover function.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Since the -3db point of the S.5 is 80hz, the crossover should be set higher than that, probably 100hz.
Also, the sub's own crossover is intended for use with speaker-level connections. If you are using the subwoofer output on your A/V receiver, you should turn the crossover on the sub all the way up (effectively bypassing it) and let your receiver handle the bass management.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis