subwoofer crossover settings

D

davenlo

Enthusiast
when hooking up powered sub how should crossover point be set on sub and or receiver? Does this apply to both hi and low level wiring?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What speakers are we talking about and how are they connected? Ideally, you want the speakers connected to the receiver not the sub, and let the receiver handle the x-over. The sub should be set to "bypass" or set its x-over to the highest it will go. The x-over on the sub has no effect on speakers connected to it, only the sub itself, as the speaker level outputs usually have a fixed x-over.

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
What gear are we talking about?

Normally, it is best to use the line level subwoofer output on the receiver to go to the powered subwoofer, and hook up the speakers to the receiver. One then does as j_garcia says, and bypass the subwoofer's crossover if possible, but otherwise sets the subwoofer's crossover at its highest point. One then uses the subwoofer settings in the receiver, typically setting the main speakers to "small" and setting the crossover above the bass -3dB point of the main speakers. Thus, for example, with my system, my main speakers are rated 50-40kHz +/-3dB, so I set the crossover in my receiver at 80 Hz (as 80 Hz is above 50 Hz).

D

davenlo

Enthusiast
What speakers are we talking about and how are they connected? Ideally, you want the speakers connected to the receiver not the sub, and let the receiver handle the x-over. The sub should be set to "bypass" or set its x-over to the highest it will go. The x-over on the sub has no effect on speakers connected to it, only the sub itself, as the speaker level outputs usually have a fixed x-over.
I have my Boston main speakers hooked to Amp and Sub to sub out on amp. as suggested. So then just set sub to higest and amp to about 80hz does that sound right?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's where I would start yes. Speakers set to small, x-over set to 80hz generally works well, but that x-over point depends on the capability of your speakers in terms of how low they go.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis