Subwoofer Crawl does nothing

jasonao00

jasonao00

Audiophyte
Hello All,
I've done the subwoofer crawl just like the article back in 2001 and where my vision device is located, center of wall. The subwoofer, Yamaha SW-315, currently is located at the bottom left corner of the vision device. I placed the sub at main listening point and did the crawl from left to right parallel with the vision device. And did not notice any change in frequency. The only place where you feel and hear the sub is in the pantry which is 40 feet to the right of the listener. Do you think a new sub would be a better upgrade or doing the sub crawl again but around the entire room? I'm thinking an SVS PB-1000.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Crawl method does not guarantee there will be a "better" spot. Your room acoustics and seating position in that room will affect this as much as the location of the sub. It is possible the sub is insufficient for your space. A PB1000 is still a 10" sub, but would be a big step up from the 315. I think you'd want to look at the HSU VTF-2 Mk5 based on the AH rating for output for that sub in that price range.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I don't think a sub crawl can overcome other issues. Also I have a PB-1000 and I can tell you it's very impressive for the price. I have a decent size room and was a bit worried about it filling the room but it's just half way up and shaking the house. It's a really nice, tight bass but not boomy but I hate boomy bass. It's a clear, and tight bass as apposed to boomy. I have no don't HSU is also great I just have no experience so I can't comment.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
How big is this room? Is it open ended/sided?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You might also try an automated way of trying different sub positions, in theory, and perhaps experiment in moving the listening position around at the same time (if there's room for adjusting such). Download REW (RoomEQ Wizard) and use the Room Sim feature....easier than moving a sub at least :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The subwoofer, Yamaha SW-315 The only place where you feel and hear the sub is in the pantry which is 40 feet to the right of the listener. Do you think a new sub would be a better upgrade or doing the sub crawl again but around the entire room? I'm thinking an SVS PB-1000.
If that 40 feet is not a typo and I assume then that the room dimensions are even larger then only thing I could tell you is this:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
.... I placed the sub at main listening point and did the crawl from left to right parallel with the vision device. And did not notice any change in frequency. ....
What kind of signal did you use for this test? I am pretty sure you are looking for a change in volume and not frequency.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello All,
I've done the subwoofer crawl just like the article back in 2001 and where my vision device is located, center of wall. The subwoofer, Yamaha SW-315, currently is located at the bottom left corner of the vision device. I placed the sub at main listening point and did the crawl from left to right parallel with the vision device. And did not notice any change in frequency. The only place where you feel and hear the sub is in the pantry which is 40 feet to the right of the listener. Do you think a new sub would be a better upgrade or doing the sub crawl again but around the entire room? I'm thinking an SVS PB-1000.
Have you tried going diagnol or perpendicular to the listener position?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
If your subwoofer is crawling the volume is too high and the neighbors will be pounding on your door to stop the racket! :D

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Are we still talking about subwoofers?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bring the sub on pub bub crawl, put it on the stool and the whole bar can play sub crawl, should be good for some laughs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis