Subwoofer connect question

C

ciscocbee

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,

I’m thinking about replacing my old home stereo with something new. I view/ listen to everything via my computer (I have 2, one is a server). I’m setting up for stereo + subwoofer now, but I’d like to be able to expand to 5.1 at some point. This is what I plan:

1. Because my two computers are a little noisy and ugly (they’re big rack mountable beasts) I figured I’d banish them to the room above the living room (where the action will be).

2. Since it’s going to be noisy up there anyway, I think I’ll go for a pro amp since they have good bang for the buck, just loud fans. Probably the QSC RMX 1450.

3. Need a reasonable DAC that at some point can do surround sound. The Audiofire 8 seems like a fun choice.

4. I’ll wire everything through the walls to faceplates, with the LCD on the wall.

So now my question: The audiofire has 8 balanced outputs. Two of these go to the amp, which will output Speakon connectors downstairs. What is the best way to get a signal to my sub? Should I take a balanced line level from the audiofire down to the RCA sub input (do I need a crossover, or will the one on my sub work?). I know the audiofire decodes surround (which again I may use at some point), but can’t figure out how it handles the sub out.

I welcome all ideas/ comments including the ones that think this entire setup is misguided at best, criminally insane at worst.

Thanks!

Cisco

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
What are you talking about? Criminally insane systems are always the best ones. :D

You might need to rethink that Echo Audiofire 8. As far as I can tell it’s a digital recording interface, not a surround sound processor.

Re your sub, any balanced output from a processor can be converted to unbalanced. All you’d need would be is a cable with an XLR or ¼” plug on one end, and an RCA on the other.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
C

ciscocbee

Audiophyte
The audiofire 8 is a recording interface, but according to the manual it will also output surround sound, stereo, etc. I think.

Regarding the xlr to rca, do I need to worry about crossover? I figured a regular sub out has already filtered the high frequencies, which a regular line out will not?

Thanks!

Cisco

C

ciscocbee

Audiophyte
Um.. won't let me link to the manual, but its on the audiofire web page.

Page 41 talks about surround sound.

Cisco

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm... The manual I found on their site had something else on P. 41. Try pasting in the link you were looking at, only delete the “http/www.” at the front.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

C

ciscocbee

Audiophyte
Here you are:

echoaudio.com/Downloads/Manuals/AudioFire%20Windows%20Manual%20v2.2.pdf

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
The audiofire 8 is a recording interface, but according to the manual it will also output surround sound, stereo, etc. I think.
Well, you said you wanted to expand to 5.1 at some point. If by that you mean for watching movies, you’re going to need a processor with a Dolby Digital decoder.

Regarding the xlr to rca, do I need to worry about crossover? I figured a regular sub out has already filtered the high frequencies, which a regular line out will not?
Yes, a crossover is needed. If the processor you’re using doesn’t have one, it’s fine to use the one in the subwoofer.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

C

ciscocbee

Audiophyte
OK. I guess I figured that was part of the audiofire 8 but I guess not. That is pretty clear now.

Thanks!

Cisco

C

ciscocbee

Audiophyte
OK, sorry to be obstinate (blame my parents for their genetic material) but I found this on the audiofire forum:

.echoaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=132

From what they said it does play surround in VLC (which is my player of choice) and WMP.

Cisco

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis