Gbiz

Audioholic Intern
Which is the best deal?, looks like just the ticket for what I am looking for

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Gbiz said:
Which is the best deal?, looks like just the ticket for what I am looking for
What's the most you can afford including shipping, how big is your room, and what type of bass are you looking for? Also, which receiver will you be running it through? All of those have a signature sound, and some do better than others depending on preferences and room size.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I haven't heard the other subs. But I did briefly demo the Athena sub. The sub blended pretty nicely with a pair of Athena SB2 bookshelves. I only demoed the combo for music, not movies.

When the sub was paired with a pair of Athena floorstanders, the sub didn't do much. The floorstanders did have two 8inch woofers each.;)

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
If you hae floorstanding speakers and you want to get a sub, when you set the speakers up you set the front speakers to small and enable the sub and it will run all the bass through the sub and not to the floorstanders (at least I think this is how it is supposed to work).

As far as the subs go, the Athena is probably a good choice and the Advent is a great good-for-your-money sub. However, it all depends on your ears. If you have heard the Athena and you think it will blend well with your setup then that is what I would go with. But, I would try and listen to some of the other subs if possible. Also, I would recommend looking at either the Cadence X-Sub or possible a Dayton sub. One more thing, keep an eye out on eBay for the Advent sub, there was recently an auction that was selling that same Advent for $35 which is a great bargain. Regardless of what you might think the Advent subs are very nice for what you are paying for them, they can easily stack up to most subs that cost $200-$300. Have fun with your purchase.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Earthquake for 300??!?!? grab that, those things are monsters.

Sheep

T

TheHammer

Enthusiast
Sheep said:
Earthquake for 300??!?!? grab that, those things are monsters.

Sheep
That's what I was thinking aswell.
For my brother who already has Athena book shelf setup I'd say go with the Athena for continuity. But for sheer output I understand the Earthquake SuperNova is the real deal.
For $300 I think that would be my choice.

Review for a larger SuperNova:
http://hometheatermag.com/subwoofers/99/index1.html

Too bad I'm in Canada... :(

The Hammer

Last edited:
T

thevinoman

Enthusiast
No Earthquakes in stock? Did I miss?

Nothing in stock at Amazon.

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
I can get Earthquake subs around the same price. Email me if interested.
Roly

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
rolyasm said:
I can get Earthquake subs around the same price. Email me if interested.
Roly
Roly does not seem to answer PM's. ???

V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
Velodyne Dps-12 Dps12

Hi guys what do you think of VELODYNE DPS-12 (200W - 400W/P) it retail at future shope for CAN $ 599 is it a good sub for the price?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
That's a really good price for that sub up here north of the border. I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to match it pricewise. They are selling on ebay for over $450 Cad plus shipping, so that should tell you that the price you are looking at from FS is a decent one for sure. There are better subs, don't get me wrong, but that's a good deal IMO. AH did a review of the 10" version of this sub that was less than glowing but the 12" is a better sub, again though, that is just my opinion.

V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
Takeereasy said:
That's a really good price for that sub up here north of the border. I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to match it pricewise. They are selling on ebay for over $450 Cad plus shipping, so that should tell you that the price you are looking at from FS is a decent one for sure. There are better subs, don't get me wrong, but that's a good deal IMO. AH did a review of the 10" version of this sub that was less than glowing but the 12" is a better sub, again though, that is just my opinion.
My speakers are all 8 ohm CELESTION - front 3 ways 120W 90db, back 2 ways 100W 89db, center 100W 90db, The Sub is an active Celestion 100W 10" driver it is ok but I'm mostly listening to concert (DVD) and I'm lacking bass I have to put the sub very close to me so I will feel the bass, My plan is to add another Subs instead of changing for a very powerfall and expensive one and to split the sub output form the amp, I have Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX. I was impressed from the Velodyne DPS-12 (200W - 400W/P) it did sound like a subs equivalent to $ 800 and more.

Last edited:
V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
Takeereasy said:
My speakers are all 8 ohm CELESTION - front 3 ways 120W 90db, back 2 ways 100W 89db, center 100W 90db, The Sub is an active Celestion 100W 10" driver it is ok but I'm mostly listening to concert (DVD) and I'm lacking bass I have to put the sub very close to me so I will feel the bass, My plan is to add another Subs instead of changing for a very powerfall and expensive one and to split the sub output form the amp, I have Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX. I was impressed from the Velodyne it did sound like a subs equivalent to $ 800 and more.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
You'd be better off going for one bigger one. A series of cheap small subs will never give you what are looking for. That velodyne will bring you much, much closer to the bass you need...er...want. Seriously, adding many subs can create a TON of problems that most of the guys here would be better at explaining than I am. Also a bigger sub generally can play lower into the sound spectrum, allowing you to hear, and feel, the bass. There are several factors you are ignoring by going with some small subs as opposed to one big one. Post a question about this in the speakers section and someone can help you more than I'm able to. So to sum up my opinion that 12" velodyne will most likely beat 2 of the subs you have now, and you will be hard pressed to touch it for the dollars up here. Make sure you say you're from Canada, the prices we pay and that the guys in the states pay are very different. With $600 US you can get a very, very good sub. My ultimate suggestion to you would be to go with one big sub and to save up for that sub.

V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
rjbudz said:
Roly does not seem to answer PM's. ???
Can you give me more details about the Earthquake subs -specs and price

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis