I

Illuminatti

Junior Audioholic
I understand the importance and added benifits of using a more expensive cable in the speakers. However, i still can not understand the additional benefits of using high quality (usually expensive) cables in subwoofers considering it only delivers LFEs.

please enlighten me on this.

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
Good constructed cables, regardless of the name on them, will work fine for most of us.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I understand the importance and added benifits of using a more expensive cable in the speakers.

Not being mean or sarcastic but what are the benefits?

However, i still can not understand the additional benefits of using high quality (usually expensive) cables in subwoofers considering it only delivers LFEs.

please enlighten me on this.

You are right. Audio frequency is easy to handle. Low frequency is a no brainer.
As a matter of fact, one can use a coat hanger for digital cable so why all the hype on these? :D

T

Tyson Wetzel

Audiophyte
Here's one: The AC in your home cycles at 60Hz, right in the middle of the LFE bandwidth. A decent shield is necessary to keep rf noise out.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
If a well made interconnect can carry ALL the signals adequately, I don't see much sense using a more exotic cable that will carry only a subset of those signals. Pressumably, there are expensive cables whose advertised virtue is they carry LFE EXCLUSIVELY. That's probably because they have oodles of capacitance and inductance to attenuate the highs. Hence, you pay more. But what for? When your electronics take care of not only attenuating but blocking out the mids and highs for your sub. So, I agree, getting cables for the sub more expensive or dedicated to LFE doesn't make sense to me.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Tyson Wetzel said:
Here's one: The AC in your home cycles at 60Hz, right in the middle of the LFE bandwidth. A decent shield is necessary to keep rf noise out.

Shielded speaker cable? Must be a rarity as speaker cables go.
Ususally the speaker cable is far from the AC cables. You think it is still in danger of picking up the 60 Hz from it? Even if the speaker cable signal is pretty powerful compared to other system cables? Not many IC cables are shielded, right? And they carry very little current.
Have you brought an unshielded speaker cable in proximity of an AC line? I don't have any problems.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
As a matter of fact, one can use a coat hanger for digital cable so why all the hype on these? :D

As a matter of fact, you can't. ;)

I know, I just tried. The coat hanger cannot be soldered to a standard RCA connector with a 60 watt soldering iron. I had to use my propane torch, and of course I destroyed the dielectric in the connector. Even if I was sucfcessful in establishing a good connections, the stiffness of the hangers/wires in such close proximity would make handling it a problem and I'm sure a short would occur in short order.

Coat hangers do make excellent brazing rods though. :rolleyes:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Mudcat said:
As a matter of fact, you can't. ;)

I know, I just tried. The coat hanger cannot be soldered to a standard RCA connector with a 60 watt soldering iron. I had to use my propane torch, and of course I destroyed the dielectric in the connector. Even if I was sucfcessful in establishing a good connections, the stiffness of the hangers/wires in such close proximity would make handling it a problem and I'm sure a short would occur in short order.

Coat hangers do make excellent brazing rods though. :rolleyes:

Ah, a technical problem :)

This experiment has been done although I didn't see the mechanics of it. Maybe the wire was sufficient to fit in the RCA jack?

But that doesn't mean it will not send the digital signal through, flawlessly. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis