subwoofer cable?????

W

whikx250

Enthusiast
just bought the kef kht 3005 home theater system and was wondering if anyone knows what kind of cable is used to hook up the subwoofer?
thanks ahead of time!

J

jaysonbarnett

Audioholic Intern
heres the site for you http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/index.htm

If you dont want to wait for the mail then just go to best buy or what ever, and see what they have on sale. You do not need to spend more than 30 to 35 dollars for a cable, and do not listen to all the marketing about 100.00 dollar cables they are no better. DO NOT BUY MONSTER. Even though i have a power conditioner from them but it was a christmas gift.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
BJC as jayson already pointed out or go to monoprice.com and search for subwoofer and cables should come up.

And yes, stay away from Monster.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Actually you will see very little difference in using an inepensive RCA cable

just bought the kef kht 3005 home theater system and was wondering if anyone knows what kind of cable is used to hook up the subwoofer?
thanks ahead of time!
You can use any RCA cable and you will hear inperceptible difference>

I challenge you to use the cheapest RCA cable you can find. Then buy an expensive one; tell me if you really can hear a difference. :D Electrons follow the laws of physics and do not look at price!

W

whikx250

Enthusiast
will cheaper rca's lessen the chance for the so called "hum" that can occur?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
The biggest difference is in build quality and type of connectors used. True, as Midcow pointed out the electrons that comprise the signal don't care about price - they travel from point A to point B along a copper conductor (in this case), but the key difference is how sturdy of construction. Your'e not likely to notice much difference in sound quality right off the bat between a cheapo ratshack RCA cable and one from BJC, but those cheapo cables are notorious for failing over time (and movement), the connectors are weak and fragile, and generally have to be replaced anyway after some point in time.

BJC are made from some of the highest quality cable out there - for subwoofer cables they use Belden 1694, which is broadcast quality cable (trust me, I used to build TV stations for a living - this is the exact same cable we used to run the conversion to all-digital formats), and the connectors are tough, rugged and built to last. You would be hard-pressed to see one of these fail over the same time period that you specify for the cheapo version.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
will cheaper rca's lessen the chance for the so called "hum" that can occur?
"Hum" occurs usually when you have a ground loop somewhere in your system. This is an electrical anomaly, usually corrected by plugging all of your gear into the same point (which ties everything to the same ground potential and eliminates the "bleed over" between circuits, which is what causes the hum).

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
heres the site for you http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/index.htm

If you dont want to wait for the mail then just go to best buy or what ever, and see what they have on sale. You do not need to spend more than 30 to 35 dollars for a cable, and do not listen to all the marketing about 100.00 dollar cables they are no better. DO NOT BUY MONSTER. Even though i have a power conditioner from them but it was a christmas gift.
Join us and burn the Monster Cable products, Publish on YouTube

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
i can attest to the monster cable! what a piece of crap for the price. I was over my parents and my dad was saying the sub was making some strange noise recently. As I was there the Sub starting vibrating really loud on and off. I went over to the sub to examine it and sure enough It had monster cable that was about 7 years old. The connector on the cable no longer fit snug onto the sub and would rattle around make the sub recieve a signal only intermittently. dont buy monster, way overpriced.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You're all forgetting the positron gravitron effect that's a result of minimizing the effect of the elcectron path interference frequency minimizing this effect that you may be getting by making sure the cables comply with the theories of the yet to be proved unified great force....

GEZZZZZZ guys, how can you forget about that, completely unexplainable yet so audible

I have applied all of this through my rig.....

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
IIRC, a sub signal is pretty easy to shield because interference has a hard time messing with it due to it's low frequency. So I would agree with the any old RCA cable approach being adequate. You can use RG6 QS and put a couple of RCA adapters on the ends. Monoprice might make the most sense budget wise but personally I'm at a point where all my stuff is hooked up and working fine with a Monster cable collection that I'm not proud of. I worry a little about my cables yanking the jacks right off my gear with their death grip. As I move stuff around and add things I will go with BJC when ever I need more or different lengths.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
You mean when I went to Radio Shack yesterday to get subwoofer cable and the clerk tried to sell me the Monster Cable because it'll get more of the subfrequencies to my sub that I shouldn't have believed him?

;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It took me a sec to spot the wink! :eek: Sheesh...
I have had a RS guy give me the spiel before and I believed him but couldn't afford all that.
Then I found eBay and AH.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
You mean when I went to Radio Shack yesterday to get subwoofer cable and the clerk tried to sell me the Monster Cable because it'll get more of the subfrequencies to my sub that I shouldn't have believed him?

;)
LOL - that one is classic. :)

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I also wanted some speaker wire and he was showing me the 18 gauge and I knew that I would have a run of more then 25 feet to the rears, running them through the ceiling, so I said, I was looking for something like 14 or 12 gauge. And he said, "Well, that's pretty thick if you're just running satellites. You don't need that much bass going to them. 18 gauge is best for satellites."

Well, they aren't satellites, they're in-ceiling, but I didn't see any sense in correcting him. I knew what I needed.

He sort of set me on edge to begin with when I said I was looking for LFE cable and he said, 'Wha?"

A

autoboy

Audioholic
I run anything I can get my hands on. Right now I'm running a free composite cable that came with my computer video card. Works like a charm for a sub cable. Video cable, not so much...

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I also wanted some speaker wire and he was showing me the 18 gauge and I knew that I would have a run of more then 25 feet to the rears, running them through the ceiling, so I said, I was looking for something like 14 or 12 gauge. And he said, "Well, that's pretty thick if you're just running satellites. You don't need that much bass going to them. 18 gauge is best for satellites."

Well, they aren't satellites, they're in-ceiling, but I didn't see any sense in correcting him. I knew what I needed.

He sort of set me on edge to begin with when I said I was looking for LFE cable and he said, 'Wha?"
Those ratshack salesmen are dillweeds. I don't know why this is the case, but I've gone round and round with many a one before on everything from speaker cable gauge to connectors to circuit board components, modifications and repairs, you name it. Anytime I have to go into one of their stores now days, as soon as they come up and ask "Can I help you with something?", I just say "No thanks."

H

hifisyd01

Audioholic Intern
How about RG59?
I could be wrong, but I think RG6 is recommended over RG59 because of its lower guage copper dielectric (sp?) ...but I hear either will work and RG59 is more flexible. You'll just need to get some F-Conn to RCA adapters that can be purchased online from places like partsexpress.com or even at your local Lowe's.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis