Subwoofer Break-in, really?

B

BrianC

Junior Audioholic
First DIY sub is almost finished. 15" Dayton Reference HO in a single-ported 4 cubic foot box. Powered by a Behringer Inuke 3000dsp, which will likely power another sub when I'm ready to build.

Is break in period necessary? If so, exactly how? (Easiest method preferably).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There is no break in. The suspension may loosen up over time which will lower the resonant frequency, but you will never notice the effects of that. Just enjoy the bass.

B

BrianC

Junior Audioholic
There is no break in. The suspension may loosen up over time which will lower the resonant frequency, but you will never notice the effects of that. Just enjoy the bass.
Cool, thanks!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'll disagree agree with shady, but only slightly. Sometimes when buying raw drivers, ID companies recommend slowly building up to high SPL's in order for the glue to fully set. I had this happen once, pushed a driver too hard too fast. I doubt this will be a problem with the Dayton, though.

elwaylite

elwaylite

Audioholic

This is what i understand as well. Fire it up and wear it out. You may run auto eq after a month of use, doubt it will make a difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis