Subwoofer auto-on doesn't work when source is cable...weird

L

LiveJazz

Junior Audioholic
I've noticed that my subwoofer's "auto" function is a little quirky. When set to auto, it turns on predictably when I play content from my BD player, AirPlay, or when I use the smart apps on my TV as the source. However, when the source is Cable, it doesn't turn on automatically the way it should. This is using HD channels with the surround mode set to Dolby Digital.

If I turn the sub on manually while watching cable (or just leave it on all the time), it works fine. So, the issue isn't that there isn't anything for the sub to play due to the x-over setting or the nature of the content. Switching the audio mode to stereo or another surround mode doesn't cause the auto-on to work, either, as long as the source is cable.

The problem persists if I try turning up the volume, and even when the content is very bass-heavy. I'm using the regular subwoofer preout. All sources are linked to the receiver via HDMI. The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-823. Sub is a crappy old Klipsch that I plan to replace.

I know all subwoofers have different sensitivity when detecting a signal for the auto-on function. I think I've tested for that by adjusting the volume and using bassy content...the weird thing is that it's only a problem with the cable source. I feel like that shouldn't matter, as long as there's a sufficient low-frequency signal going from the receiver to the sub.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis