C

chad54827

Enthusiast
So I've got two energy cf-70 towers, energy cc-10 center so far (working on building a system) I plan on using energy cb-10's for the rears. But right now im looking for a sub. Do you guys think i should stay with energy, or does anyone have a better suggestion? It's a pretty small room, maybe 15' x 25' . Was thinking maybe a 10" ... Dont wanna spend a ton of money maybe around 200 - 400 high end. Any suggestion are appreciated, please advise. Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
15x25 is a medim size room IMO, not small. $200 isn't going to get you a great sub IMO. Cadence CSX-12 MkII is $399 shipped and will fill that room no problem.

C

chad54827

Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses, i'll definitely check out both of those... More suggestions are still welcomed!

C

chad54827

Enthusiast
The only thing is I own a double house and im afraid that a 12" might be a bit too much low end bass. Was thinking more along the lines a of a 10". However if you guys think a 12" is my best decision i would probably take the advice...

C

chad54827

Enthusiast
and just out of curiosity no thinks the ESW-C10 Subwoofer (the one that would come in the energy package) is worth it?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For a cheap sub, the Energy subs are not too bad. They aren't going to compete with something more substantial though.

10 or 12 doesn't matter, you are going to hear the lower midrange frequencies that all subs will be playing in the next house.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
and just out of curiosity no thinks the ESW-C10 Subwoofer (the one that would come in the energy package) is worth it?
There are plenty of subs with 10-inch drivers that are more capable than ones with 12-inch drivers (and the opposite can be true of course). That's not the best way to compare things.

Anyway, the Energy S10.3 is on sale for $250 at newegg and it is a much better sub than the ESW-C10.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269026

At that price it's a great deal. At normal pricing I wouldn't be interested.

C

chad54827

Enthusiast
Ok thanks i'll consider that too... Do you think that it would be worth it to pay the extra money for the Cadence CSX-12 MkII or are the comparable?

C

chad54827

Enthusiast
Since there is pretty much no where to listen to these subs around me, i'm gonna have to just go on your suggestions and online reviews... I'm using this for theatre, gaming, music 60, 20, 20

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Listening to subs is in reality pretty worthless. Measurements are much more useful for subs.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Measurements will tell you a lot about a sub, but no numbers will tell you how a speaker sounds. Even subs sound different, so you can have two subs that have similar numbers but are designed differently and they will sound different.

C

chad54827

Enthusiast
I see the HSU is a down firing sub, I have downstairs tenants ( i own the house but am trying to be somewhat considerate) would i be better off with a front firing sub rather than down firing?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Probably won't really make a whole lot of difference. What would help most is probably to get an isolation platform. $50 on a Subdude or Gramma would be a good investment,

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I see the HSU is a down firing sub, I have downstairs tenants ( i own the house but am trying to be somewhat considerate) would i be better off with a front firing sub rather than down firing?
An isolation pad is pretty must have if you have someone under you - especially with a down firing sub. But I would get one for a front firing sub as well.

C

chad54827

Enthusiast
So i guess i narrowed it down to the CSX-12 Mark II and the HSU VTF-1. I'm having a hard time with this decision, mark II is ported HSU is not, mark II is front firing and HSU is down.... Taking in mind this is for 60% movies / tv, 20% games and 20% music.... ANY LAST SUGGESTIONS OR HELP!!!???

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The VTF-1 is also ported. Downfiring/frontfiring doesn't really make a difference to me. I do think frontfiring is more attractive because I like looking at the woofers sometimes :)

Based on the specifications, I think the CSX-12 would be more capable (and cheaper - bonus!). It lacks the variable tuning options of the VTF-1, but I wouldn't be using max output on that sub anyway so they should both be tuned to 25hz.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis